Rev's to redline when shifted to neutral???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008 | 03:47 PM
10th Gear

Question Rev's to redline when shifted to neutral???

Here is a funny little oddity that has happened twice to me in my '06 TL MT recently and after a call to the dealership, he had never heard anything of the sort and so I turned here. I looked all over the forums here and can't find anything similar...maybe someone else has an explaination...cuz if not...I think somethings wrong!!

Coincidently both times it happened I was at the same place more or less!!

-I was cruising on the freeway (my guess is somewhere between 70-80mph) when I pressed the clutch, shifted the car into neutral as I was anticipating an exit coming up. Shortly after I released the clutch (still in neutral) i heard the engine start to rev and watched the tach move quickly (but not instantly) up to redline, then quickly drop back down to idle. Nothing came of it...but it happend verbatim twice and I know nothing was touching the gas pedal...so that wasn't it.

I have now started to see if I can replicate this...since it has happened twice in the last week, but thus far haven't been able to.

If anyone else has had similar incidents or someone has some insight...let me know.
Old 04-30-2008 | 04:10 PM
Team Owner

you are freaking out the computer
read the owner manual and stop going to nuetral on the freeway
When you hit the offramp- use the brakes, then slip it into N- wont even need the clutch when done properly
Leaving it in gear will also help slow the car so you downshift and accelerate when the light goes green
Cars out of gear are less responsive to steering and braking inputs- you are not doing the car any favors or saving gas with your method
Old 04-30-2008 | 04:11 PM
Team Owner

if the cruise control was on at the time you pushed the clutch- it is supposed to disconnect- but if it didnt- that would cause what you desribe as well
Old 04-30-2008 | 04:15 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

That's really unusual. Did you have your VSA on? Maybe the computer is just acting funky with VSA on. I mostly put the car in neutral before coming to a stop. This thing you're describing never happened to me yet. I mostly drive with the VSA off.
Old 04-30-2008 | 04:19 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
you are freaking out the computer
read the owner manual and stop going to nuetral on the freeway
When you hit the offramp- use the brakes, then slip it into N- wont even need the clutch when done properly
Leaving it in gear will also help slow the car so you downshift and accelerate when the light goes green
Cars out of gear are less responsive to steering and braking inputs- you are not doing the car any favors or saving gas with your method
Well...yes everything you said true...and I do downshift, and no my goal was not to get better fuel economy...but it still doesn't explain what happened.
Old 04-30-2008 | 04:21 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
if the cruise control was on at the time you pushed the clutch- it is supposed to disconnect- but if it didnt- that would cause what you desribe as well
No cruise control was not on.
Old 04-30-2008 | 04:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jchcmax
That's really unusual. Did you have your VSA on? Maybe the computer is just acting funky with VSA on. I mostly put the car in neutral before coming to a stop. This thing you're describing never happened to me yet. I mostly drive with the VSA off.
VSA was on...like normal...but this was my thought as well.
Old 05-04-2008 | 10:49 PM
Advanced

6mt cars will do exactly as you mentioned if you slip the trans out of gear when the cruise is active... i would check your clutch switch. Here is an easy way, does the car start without you having your foot on the clutch pedal?
Old 05-05-2008 | 05:24 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by LXiFLYBY
6mt cars will do exactly as you mentioned if you slip the trans out of gear when the cruise is active... i would check your clutch switch. Here is an easy way, does the car start without you having your foot on the clutch pedal?
Tried this in my 06 6mt this afternoon.
Cruise Control on, never touched the clutch pedal, slipped it out of gear. RPMs immediately came down to idle. There must be a sensor in the trans for neutral. AvMan911, what's happened with yours?
Old 05-05-2008 | 07:41 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by 6spMike
Tried this in my 06 6mt this afternoon.
Cruise Control on, never touched the clutch pedal, slipped it out of gear. RPMs immediately came down to idle. There must be a sensor in the trans for neutral. AvMan911, what's happened with yours?
Oops, I lied. I tried it again.
It goes up to redline after you slow down enough for the cruise to think it needs to apply throttle.

Still doesn't explain what happened to AvMan's since cruise wasn't on when his did it.
Old 05-07-2008 | 09:25 AM
10th Gear

That's extactly right....the cruise wasn't on (though I have tried to replicate it with the cruise on...with no luck replicating the issue). Additionally I did use the clutch to shift to neutral. And what was funny was it was not immediately after I shifted out of gear, it was a couple of seconds at idle before it rev'd.
Old 05-08-2008 | 09:52 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

That's what happened after I didn't use the clutch, it took a couple seconds for the car to coast down before the cruise thought it needed to apply throttle.
Maybe there's something goofy with the wire or whatever that tells the computer the cruise is on, but that's a stretch, since the clutch pedal switch would have to be bad too. It's really weird...
Old 05-08-2008 | 10:27 PM
Team Owner

sounds like computer issue- go have a chat with the SERVICE MANAGER and see if there are any TSBs on the subject
Old 05-10-2008 | 03:52 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Definitely have the service manager look at it. It's not the best for engines to be revving that high without a load on them.
Old 05-11-2008 | 12:47 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

AvMan911, one thing you can do is check for proper operation of the clutch switch that disengages the cruise control. Even though the cruise wasn't on, it might be related.
Depressing the clutch pedal just a little, around an inch or less, should disengage the cruise. There's a problem if it doesn't.