Replaced the cabin air filter today

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced the cabin air filter today

With your guys's help and instructions. I also replaced the engine air filter since the dealer never mentioned anything about it and I trusted them since the maintenance B1 I have done there has a line that says "Inspect and clean air filter and airbox). So on Sunday I had nothing to do and decided to open and inspect the air filter myself.... Needless to say what I saw did not impress me at all, in fact I don’t think the filter has ever been replaced since the car was new. I bought it 14 months ago with 28K miles and have since put 20K miles myself, took it to get it serviced 3 times in that period. Anyhow I bought the engine air filter and since I was at it decided to buy and change the cabin air filter. I have done this on my previous 1999 TL and it was not too hard. I have to say that the glove box removal on the 04 is easier, but trying to put it back on is a pain in the a$$. You pretty much have to move the seat all the way back and start by bolting the right side first (unless you're left-handed) ...and why is the glove box so fricking heavy anyway? then bolting the left is a bitch, unless you're left-handed again...

As per many of you the necessary removal of the entire plastic panel to get to the cabin filter is the stupidest design I've seen by far. I managed to brake only 3 of the clips... did not count how many there were total, but was happy to see there was those two bolts that bolt onto metal that I can trust to hold the whole thing back in place. Figured out how to remove the light that is on top and if you don’t look everywhere could easily be overlooked. When I got to the filter came to a conclusion that this one was the one installed at the factory when the car was manufactured... I thought dealers will pa more attention and try to sell you stuff you really need.. but these two filters were never mentioned. In fact just two weeks ago in my last service I requested a brake fluid flush since this is recommended every 3 years but was never done on my car ... On my old 1999 TL I had to ask them to replace my timing belt due to age since I never reached the mileage but after reading in this forum it seemed a good idea to have it done no later than 7yrs after the car was build...

I feel after all a great deal of satisfaction and I am curious to see if I'll notice any difference in the engine idle/performance/fuel economy and the way my a/c will work.

Next year I'll change it again and see if I can break the rest of those clips then
Old 08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
is gen3 different than gen2???- we break the cover off the clips and it turns 90 degrees sideways to reinstall- whats the gen3 Garage DIY section say?
we have 2 tabs that slip into slot A and then screw c goes into hole D thats waiting for it.
The cover does not block off the fliters when done like when new- it just holds them in place
Old 08-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
yes the engine will run better, and the ac and heat will be fresher cleaner filtered air coming at you
If the filter was really blocked you may require less fan speed for the same airflow now-
All that adds to mileage
Check out the Seafoam DIY and do that for the engine internal cleaning
Old 08-12-2008, 04:06 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
is gen3 different than gen2???- we break the cover off the clips and it turns 90 degrees sideways to reinstall- whats the gen3 Garage DIY section say?
we have 2 tabs that slip into slot A and then screw c goes into hole D thats waiting for it.
The cover does not block off the fliters when done like when new- it just holds them in place
The cabin air filter is on the same place, behind the glove compatment, but on G3 you have to remove the entire piece of the dashboard taht starts way over by the door hinges.... How stupid is that? And if designed that way, make it so that the removal does not require pulling and yanking the plastic parts in a way that when they give... its too late to slow yourself and there really is no easy/no damage way to do it. I was not about to cut a hole in it... Maybe when I brake it completely and have to buy the whole piece as a new one. I now know why dealers hate diagnosing rattles and disassembling dashboards on cars. It eventually laeds to braking something and since they are all made out of plastic something wll rattle...
Old 08-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I cut a hole in mine for an easy change this was the first time I changed it. I've since changed out the filter 3 times. I put duct tape over the hole and put a new piece on that everytime I change the filter.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:15 AM
9th Gear

I looked at my girlfriends Accord yesterday...

And after you drop the glovebox, everything is right there and easy to get to. no panels/dashboards to pop. Its an 04 Accord EX-L V6 w Navi so one would think the Acura (supposedly being the nicer Accord) would be better designed, but the Accord got top marks on my book.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by lembowski
I cut a hole in mine for an easy change this was the first time I changed it. I've since changed out the filter 3 times. I put duct tape over the hole and put a new piece on that everytime I change the filter.

I did the same to mine minus the duct tape. As a matter of fact I just changed my filter today.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That panel is pretty easy to remove. It's easier than the 1g MDX and 2G odyssey