Reasonable Paint Job prices in Cleveland, Oh

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017 | 01:12 PM
Advanced

Reasonable Paint Job prices in Cleveland, Oh

Anyone know of a place where I can get a solid pain job for a reasonable price ($2~$3k)? I just got quoted $9k+ for a car with no dents and a clear coat de-lamination issue. Whomever the previous owner was got the car painted and the clear coat is gone on the roof and peeling off the hood. $10k is a ridiculous price for a paint job. I'm trying to get the factory color, not even going for a color change. Car runs great, but paint on hood and roof is terrible.
Old 04-10-2017 | 01:21 PM

paint jobs are expensive. I believe you were quoted a bit on the high side...
but for a quality job, expect $5-6k...

instead of asking for a full re-paint...maybe try getting quotes for just the hood and roof.
and if you have to ask every body shop in the Cleveland area...so be it
Old 04-10-2017 | 01:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
paint jobs are expensive. I believe you were quoted a bit on the high side...
but for a quality job, expect $5-6k...

instead of asking for a full re-paint...maybe try getting quotes for just the hood and roof.
and if you have to ask every body shop in the Cleveland area...so be it
That was the second $8k + quote I got in a span of an hour. These shops just want to do insurance collision and not anything else. They were immediately saying "we don't do whole cars.." yada, yada, yada. Then, it's gonna cost you 8-10k (sight unseen). One estimate was talking about having to replace the windshield?! My windshield is perfect. Replace a door skin for $1160. There is barely an imperfection. It's hard not to come away pissed off after having your intelligence insulted. They're charging $1,500+ for paint and supplies! GTFOH!
😡
Old 04-11-2017 | 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by MisterABdub
That was the second $8k + quote I got in a span of an hour. These shops just want to do insurance collision and not anything else. They were immediately saying "we don't do whole cars.." yada, yada, yada. Then, it's gonna cost you 8-10k (sight unseen). One estimate was talking about having to replace the windshield?! My windshield is perfect. Replace a door skin for $1160. There is barely an imperfection. It's hard not to come away pissed off after having your intelligence insulted. They're charging $1,500+ for paint and supplies! GTFOH!
😡
keep hitting them up! they'll realize you're smarter than the average bear and might accept a job.

also, dont know how "Hip" you are...but if you check out instagram and look for "car enthusiast" in your area...you'll usually find people promoting small shops that WILL take your business
Old 04-12-2017 | 07:59 AM
Drifting

Sounds like you keep finding the shops that focus on quantity only. Churn and burn through the easy insurance claims is their goal. Much easier for them to profit when they just have to replace a few panels, paint them, blend, and call it good. With you, there is a crap load of prep.....a crap load, then paint. As for the windshield...assuming they want to remove the glass to more easily prep and paint that area and quite often the glass gets broken when trying to remove. Easier to replace.
Old 04-12-2017 | 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Thats about right for a whole car in my area at a quality shop. You said at one point "sight unseen", did they throw the prices over the phone and not see your car? Whole car repaints are a PITA to shops not worth the hassle. I think your 2-3k is realistic for a hood repaint and roof and Im not sure I would trust a place with that quote for a whole car repaint. If it was me I would not do a whole car repaint a good shop can match the paint.

When I had my roof redone they removed and replaced the windshield. To me that accomplished 2 things...no tape lines and the seal was needing replacement anyway. They also removed the seal and replaced it around the sunroof too.
Old 04-12-2017 | 01:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Thats about right for a whole car in my area at a quality shop. You said at one point "sight unseen", did they throw the prices over the phone and not see your car? Whole car repaints are a PITA to shops not worth the hassle. I think your 2-3k is realistic for a hood repaint and roof and Im not sure I would trust a place with that quote for a whole car repaint. If it was me I would not do a whole car repaint a good shop can match the paint.

When I had my roof redone they removed and replaced the windshield. To me that accomplished 2 things...no tape lines and the seal was needing replacement anyway. They also removed the seal and replaced it around the sunroof too.
Hey, you just gave me a reason to keep hope. Because for $9-$10k, I could buy two more of the car I have now.
No, when I said sight unseen, the car was in the parking lot, but the guy I was talking to never left his desk to actually look at the car.
I will look into roof, and hood. Trunk lid shows no problems (needs buffed for swirl marks). I may replace the hood. (Can get carbon fiber $800+ or salvage yard $1xx-$2xx). Roof however, has to be painted. I see signs that previous owner painted. Extra seal at top of back window. Inside mirror silver, few other things. Rear window defroster may not work because window was previously removed. Windshield wiper arms go down a touch too far, also. A lot of things that seem minor to a layman. Sunroof seal is not perfect, but not leaking. Front is a few mm below flush in front. Stuff like that. Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into that specifically.
You would think the guy would mention that they could match the paint. And just do the panels.
Old 04-13-2017 | 06:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MisterABdub
Hey, you just gave me a reason to keep hope. Because for $9-$10k, I could buy two more of the car I have now.
No, when I said sight unseen, the car was in the parking lot, but the guy I was talking to never left his desk to actually look at the car.
I will look into roof, and hood. Trunk lid shows no problems (needs buffed for swirl marks). I may replace the hood. (Can get carbon fiber $800+ or salvage yard $1xx-$2xx). Roof however, has to be painted. I see signs that previous owner painted. Extra seal at top of back window. Inside mirror silver, few other things. Rear window defroster may not work because window was previously removed. Windshield wiper arms go down a touch too far, also. A lot of things that seem minor to a layman. Sunroof seal is not perfect, but not leaking. Front is a few mm below flush in front. Stuff like that. Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into that specifically.
You would think the guy would mention that they could match the paint. And just do the panels.
The roof should be easier to work since you have those rails on either side above the doors that isolates it from doors and sail panels, pop those each off (carefully) and simple, this is exactly what I did on mine. These strips act as a transition strip which will help with cost as work is contained between the rails and windshield and rear window. The hood if you paint would require blending to each front quarters and your good to go. I know Im making it sound simple its not but of all the places that could be painted the roof is the best believe it or not.

Not sure how close Cincy is to you but had a shop there paint a bumper on a different car and very difficult color and they nailed it.
Old 04-13-2017 | 08:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
The roof should be easier to work since you have those rails on either side above the doors that isolates it from doors and sail panels, pop those each off (carefully) and simple, this is exactly what I did on mine. These strips act as a transition strip which will help with cost as work is contained between the rails and windshield and rear window. The hood if you paint would require blending to each front quarters and your good to go. I know Im making it sound simple its not but of all the places that could be painted the roof is the best believe it or not.

Not sure how close Cincy is to you but had a shop there paint a bumper on a different car and very difficult color and they nailed it.
I am leaning towards replacing the hood because the time savings would outweigh the $$$ spent. The previous owner must have had a bra or paint protector because there is a variation. I don't think there was any UV protection in the clear coat in those areas, because the clear coat failed.
A steel hood is about $150. Carbon fiber $450-$1,200. Hood pins recommended for CF.
I feel the roof is completely doable. The area surrounding the sunroof might be a challenge. I'm not too worried about that though. Slide the glass back, mask the hole, I guess.
I'm roughly 3.5 hrs north of Cincy on 71S.
There's a CF trunk lid at Endless RPM too. There certainly are possibilities. Thanks again for the info and insight.