Rear Brake issues, need advice..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brake issues, need advice..

So I've been having a noise and vibrations as I was driving and I did some inspecting and found that my rear driver side pad's (worse on the inner pad) are almost toast and the passenger side still has quite a bit of pad left. I picked up a new full set of pad's and rotors from Brakemotive which I am going to put on the rear and I will hold off on the fronts for now as there's still plenty of pad left up there. I just don't want to just slap new on and have the same problem happen again so the question is, what could have caused the driver side pad's to fade so fast?

I checked after driving and it did not seem like the wheel was way hotter then any of the other wheels but you can clearly see a coating of brake dust on the driver side and the pass side would still be clean.. I was able to compress the piston on the driver side, but it seemed a little harder to compress then the passenger side. The rubber around the caliper piston seems to be a bit crooked also (see pic below). Do you guys think I need to pick up a new caliper, or could one of the slider pins just have been stuck?

It seemed like there was not much grease on the bottom pin and the bottom of the inner pad had cracked off.. Is there a trick to keep the grease ON the pins after you slide them in the bracket? It seems like the rubber boot swipes a lot of the grease off as you slip the pin back into the bracket. Thanks for any advice.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Rear Brake issues, need advice..-caliper.jpg   Rear Brake issues, need advice..-pad.jpg   Rear Brake issues, need advice..-pad2.jpg  

Last edited by SLAYER6669; 07-30-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
make sure you use high temprature resistant grease, i always use synthetic graphite grease, never had my pins stuck. Make sure you clean pins from any rust.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
make sure you use high temprature resistant grease, i always use synthetic graphite grease, never had my pins stuck. Make sure you clean pins from any rust.
The pins were in good shape, just the bottom one did not have much grease on it.. I used this CRC grease this time.. Just not sure if there might be something wrong with the caliper or not.. Hoping to finish this up in the morning if anyone else has an opinion by then.. I don't want to spend $65 on a new caliper for no reason.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
lube it up and keep your eye on it. rotor temperatures will be a good indication too.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the same problem. Will change the caliper and brake line(both sides) as well as rotors and pads. Will keep u guys updated
Old 08-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Btw , my driver side rear rotor is very hot compared with other threes
Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Acura TL. 6 speed manual.

Hello guys, I have brake chatter, or brake shackiness.
I think it's my rear brakes. I have Brembos in the front 2004 TL.
Today- I took apart the rear calipers. 1 caliper pin was stuck seazed.

Driver rear side- removed pads, checked the pads, and removed the caliper pins, cleaned with, Q tips and brake cleaner. I relubed the caliper pins with high temp grease.

Passenger rear side- removed pads, checked the pads, and removed the caliper pins, 1 pin was stuck. I turned it loose and cleaned with, Q tips and brake cleaner. I relubed the caliper pins with high temp grease.

I thought since one caliper pin was stuck That this was causing the problem.
I drove it tonight. And the brake shake is still there.

It is very subtle- more if a humm. And the longer you press the brake as you slow down the more vibration humm you feel.

It happens at speeds 30 mph- and 50mph and 80 mph.
Happens on light braking and hard braking. My steering wheel dies not shake, it's the car chassis I feel shaking when braking.

Not sure if I should bed the pads again?

THIS BRAKE SETUP WAS PURCHASE 2 years ago from
XLR8 performance- here on acurazine.
Bought rear slotted Rotora rotors, and stop tech brake pads.

Pads still have some life on them when I checked today.
Rotors look like shit - all rusted up after the first month. I guess after spraying brake cleaner on the new rotors prior to installing the nice black coating is all rusted and flaking.

But is anyone else getting this slight shaking feeling on the car while applying the brakes.
My steering wheel does not shake.
My tires just have been replaced.
I just got a week ago a wheel alignment and wheel balancing.

I have been driving with this shimmy feeling for 2 months now.
Please help guys.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Nice highjack.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669
The pins were in good shape, just the bottom one did not have much grease on it.. I used this CRC grease this time.. Just not sure if there might be something wrong with the caliper or not.. Hoping to finish this up in the morning if anyone else has an opinion by then.. I don't want to spend $65 on a new caliper for no reason.
I've been using Versachem Synth brake lube. The stuff works great.

Clean/lube all the right parts well. On a floating caliper you can try to check travel by attaching just the caliper without pads or rotor, just to see how well the pins operate.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Good idea. Great way to check the movement on the pins.