Really need to remove steering wheel to R/R steering column cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really need to remove steering wheel to R/R steering column cover

According to the FSM you need to remove the airbag and steering wheel and then the 3 screws in order to remove and replace the steering wheel column covers. Is this true or has someone found a work-around?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/f-168-steering-wheel-removal-763962/
Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks - I used that link one to replace my steering wheel controls because the main CC switch would no longer stay down, problem is.................................

Removing my steering wheel my cable reel came out and completely unraveled. Make a note to either A) get the steering wheel removal tool or B) be very careful on that last thump,pull to remove the steering wheel that you dislodge the wheel from the cable reel or the cap can come off. After reassembly of the controls on the wheel and rewinding the spool, re-centering, and reinstalling the wheel I took it for a test drive. I immediately got the DTC 11-1 code (open or increased resistance to drivers side inflator). Reset the code through diag and received the code again along with an additional VSA error. I knew then the reel was screwed.

I drop it off at Elk Grove Acura at 9:30A because I wanted to hopefully get it in and out the same day for a trip to LA. I report to them that I received the error code DTC 11-1 and left it at that, assuming that they would diagnose the problem for $130 using proper techniques per the FSM and was told that it is probably the drivers belt buckle handled with an Acura TSB campaign. At 3:15pm I receive a call that they diagnosed the problem to be a bad driver's airbag and needs to be replaced to a tune of $1100 ($800 plus labor/diag). Keep in mind that per FSM and the link above you can have the airbag out and in in about 5 minutes plus resetting codes. WTF. I told them I didn't want to parts swap and not going to pay if that does not fix the problem. They assured me that it was the airbag. Being a mindful parent I dropped my daughter off with my wife before I go to the dealer to provide some additional information.

I stop by the dealer and ask to talk to the technician. The SA quickly asks why and I inform him that I don't believe it to be the airbag but rather the cable reel due to the replacement of the steering wheel controls earlier. The SA proceeds to ask why I didn't have them replace the steering controls, blah, blah, blah. I explained to him that I suspect it to be the cable reel. The SA goes back in to the service area and 10 minutes later come back - "The tech wants to tear it apart again."

Later on Friday the SA calls and stated that they have a simulator to diagnose the issue and the airbag passed but the cable reel failed so they'll need to replace that first. OH - do you mean using 07SAZ-TB4011A
and lead 07XAZ-SZ30100????

Cable real replaced $98 parts and $270 for labor and my steering column comes back looking like:

AND