Read this !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read this !!!!!!!

I went to TUFFY because I didnt want to get ripped off going to the Acura dealership getting maintenance done to my car. I had to get my rack n pinion replaced because it was leaking steering wheel fluid. They replaced it the leak had stopped and my wheel was easier to turn. Fast foward a week later my steering wheel felt harder to turn.

So today I took my car back and told the mgr at the desk the issue. The mechanic pulled my car in to inspect it. A hr later my car is pulled out and he says he had to readjust something couldnt remember what it was. He states the reason for the hard turn was because my car wasn't in motion. If I gas my car in the turn the wheel will be a lot easier to turn. I was like huh?!? I said ok , the mechanic said if I have any other problems bring it back. So I get back in my car and drove off and the steering wheel is even harder to turn than before. I drive back to TUFFY. The man behind the desk takes my keys gives them to the mechanic. This time the mgr wanted the mechanic to drive the car again with me inside the car. As he is turning my wheel he is struggling. He then says, " I'm right something is wrong it shouldnt feel this way." I said to myself NO SHIT!!!, You damn right SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH IT!! You had to literally put all your strength into turning the wheel. The mechanic pulls my car in again puts it on the lift to inspect it somemore. He came to a conlusion that the rack n pinion might be bad. So they told me I could either leave my car overnight or come back tomorrow so it can be replaced. I opt to bring the car tomorrow since I work.

So the car is pulled out the mgr said he will see tomorrow. As I walk to my car the mechanic is trying to figure out why my car won't start. I'm staying calm even though Ive been through a lot so far. The mechanic lifts my hood and connects the charger to my battery. The mechanic told me to start my car and it starts up. So he drops my hood and said I'm good to go. As I put my car in reverse the clock and radio station starts to act all weird like it was switching off and on, the radio wouldnt play at all. My car was shuddering like it wasnt getting any gas to the engine. All the lights on the speed odometer were all lit which included my BRAKE, AIR BAG, TRACTION CONTROL, ENGINE, AND OIL LIGHT. So I pull back up and call the mechanic back over. The manager comes over sits in my drivers seat while it was still running and gives it gas while parked. All the lights on the dash go off. He assumed that it did the trick.

He told the mechanic to drive my car around the parking lot to make sure it was running ok. As the mechanic puts it in reverse I could see the car shuddering. He pulls the car back in and lifts the hood again another mechanic comes over and asks what my car was doing. He explained what it was doing and about all the lights lit up on my speedodometer. The other mechanic states it was my alternator. He states that when it goes bad it starts to effect different components like radio, lights, and steering pump. Can someone give me there opinion on this matter please?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
So AFTER they replace the rack & pinion the steering totally F'd up? Is that right? Now they want to do it again?

Could be a low/weak battery for the other. It happens fairly often. Maybe just a coincidence. Or maybe they fuxored something else up along the way.

Doubt if it's the alternator, but I'm just guessing on that.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
It sounds like a low voltage issue. Sometimes if the battery goes totally dead it will never come fully back. If they jumped a fully dead battery and immediately took the cables off, it increases the chances of screwing up things like the ECU, alternator, etc.

If the steering is stiff AND you have low voltage, did anyone check the belt to see if it got oil on it and is slipping? Did anyone check the fluid level? Did they put a voltmeter on it with the engine running and confirm that it's putting out at least 13.8v?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
'08 TL, Base, 5AT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the alternator and/or battery is dying or bad or perhaps a loose electrical connection. How old is the battery? How many miles on the car? If it's an Acura battery and more than 2 years old, then it may be the problem. Have them test the alternator to see if it's charging properly. Also, when the mechanic was under the car looking at the steering, he may have loosened a connector or other electrical connection. Have them check all the connections.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 AM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
My vote is belt with oil on it as IHC stated. Unless something wicked was passed through the power steering pump and is seriously lugging it down... but I would think the belt would start slipping before the motor was bogged.