Rattle noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle noises

My '07 TL Type S has two pretty annoying rattles that I was hoping some of you might be able to help with. One, the sunroof rattles when closed sometimes. This happens more often when it's cold in the mornings. Two, when my subwoofer is 3+, it sounds like the rear deck is rattling somewhere. I saw another thread about this, but it seems as though my rear deck and under the trunk is different than the pictures that user posted for the fix. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Search 'rattle', 3G garage, or dealer. Many have posted about this.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Advanced

I did a couple searches. I found numerous rattle fixes, but the ones to deal with this are fixes for earlier models. The '07 Type S seems to have a different trunk lid or rear deck openings in the trunk itself. The fix is to push the deck up and fill the gap with a cut cloth or something. With mine, it doesn't look the same, like I can't see where to gain access to the rear deck through the trunk..
Old 05-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Instructor

I am having the same problem as you saplumm, let me know if you got a fix for the TL-S
Old 05-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Advanced

I called the dealer. They said to bring it in, but I have yet to do so. I got an appt this Wednesday, and we'll see if they actually fix it or try and give me the runaround.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:36 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These work for 06 and back, so why not 07:

Numerous rattles and a few helpful fixes.

Sunroof - metal on metal when it is in tilt mode, hit a bump it makes a rattle - while in tilt mode place your fingers in b/t the glass and the roof where they connect closest to the windshield - you will notice your finger tips touch both the top (glass frame) and bottom (roof pan). Place weather stripping on the leading edge of the sunroof from the inside of the car. Once you put the roof in tilt mode it will squish the weather stripping attached to the leading edge of the sunroof (you can get it at Canadian Tire or Home Depot) against the roof pan closest to the windshield. {problem solved.

Steering Wheel - I went to the dealer 10X. Each time it seemed as though it was fixed for a day or two, then either cold weather or a big bump would set it off. Finally, after being relentless, they replaced the airbag...that was 7mths ago, no issue since.

Dash - instrument cluster area - this one is easy - just place your fingers in the left and right side holes of the instrument cluster (a couple centimeters or an inch back from the clear plastic gauge covers) and push down while pulling toward you - this section pops out entirely, unclip the electrical connections and cover the back with light felt tape you use under table legs that are on hardwood floors - no more noises. Incidentally - this felt tape is fantastic b/c you can you it anywhere you have a rattle.

Console - take out the pin where you could put the ignition key in the shifter area, remove the silver housing around the shifter that sits on the carbon fiber...add above felt tape or otherwise. The issue here is the silver trim ring that covers the gap keeps rattling as it rubs against the carbon fiber, esp. when the car twists.

Trunk (deck lid) - usually this one is bass caused. Make .5 inch by 1 inch pieces of wood, cover in hockey tape, open trunk. Then in the underside of the deck lid from the truck you will see numerous slots in the steel - fit your fingers through, and you will feel the upper deck lid, the one you see from the rear glass. You will if you push up and down it can flex and when it does it hits the steel underside deck lid. Add the wood in through the slots in the underside steel deck lid and force up slightly the inner finished deck lid...no more noises when you turn up the base.

Driver side Vent - grab hold of it with your fingers in the slots with the drivers door open, shimmy back and forth, it comes out completely. Add felt tape. The drivers side vent has an edge around it where it butts up to the dash - it is an approximate 45 degree angle and has approx 1cm or so 'face' that would make contact with the dash....put the felt tape on the 1cm section all around.

Pull the vent out and drive around for a bit first to ensure it is actually coming from the area...and shake the vent to see if it is the vent. The felt is a cheap way to isolate worst case. Anyway I think it was the plastic pipe that defogs your left window (the top pipe) that’s actually inside the dash. I think it was hitting the top of the dash when the vent assembly was inserted - so I put felt between the top and the dash part (there’s a little hook coming out on the top - that’s what its actually hitting)

also on the vent assembly itself in between the defog vent and the main vent I put felt there as well (i.e. when the defog pipe would be "on" I thought it might be able to bounce down and tap the main vent so I put felt on the top of the main vent)

I also put some petroleum jelly on the metal clips and it got rid of the squeaking sound when you wiggle the vent when its inserted.

Driver side under steer column...not directly under but the area immediately over top the floor pan...tap it and you will see usually it rattles just add felt tape in the corners where it is plastic on plastic - not an issue in warm climates but an issue in cold CDN winters

Another fix for bass rattle:
The child anchors on the rear deck is another cause of the bass rattles. To fix, put a strip of weather-stripping on the plastic where the clover close on (right behind the headrests).

Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Advanced

I dunno about the moonroof. It seems like that one should work. I opened my trunk, and I see no openings like described. I dunno if its the type S or what, but I see little plastic pins, which you can take out, but the holes are then too small, and I see a big plastic pin at each side, and I pulled on these, and no movement.