Rattle near shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:41 PM
'05 TL NBP/Ebony Auto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rattle near shifter

anyone else experiencing an annoying sound of plastic rubbing together coming from the center console where the gear shifter is on the automatic transmission TL? its slightly north of the cup holders and the switches to turn on heated seats.. i find if i apply pressure in a few spots, i can silence the sound, but its annoying for sure. makes an all-around great car sound so cheap. 2100 miles only...
rear deck also rattles from music with a lotta bass

any remedies or similar stories would be appreciated
Old 07-11-2005, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

shifter rattle

We had the shifter rattle also, the dealer put some foam cushion under the bezel and the rattle is gone, but ours rattled when we accelerated. My Brother in law has the subwoofer rattle also as low as 6 on the volume. The dealer tried tightening the speaker but it is still there, now they might try replacing the child safety seat latches that are in the back.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:17 PM
'05 TL NBP/Ebony Auto

next time its at the dealer i'll see if they can do something similar to mine.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:18 PM
VTEC is happiness

Bigtone,

I noticed a rubbing/squeeking sound from the silver trim around my 5AT shifter, and it was new onset. I was taking the car in for a myriad of other noises, and I pointed it out to the mechanic on our test drive. He took one look, and pushed (quite forcefully) on the plastic trim immediately below the silver sections. The outer silver ring "popped" into proper position (they are staggered in height, the outer portion below the inner one), and the noise/movement disappeared...the mechanic shrugged, and I said "thanks". It seems it loosened up over time, and now I know how to correct one noise. I am in a constant battle with the door seals, and I have run out of steam dealing with Acura. I may try to get the dealer to change out my seals at some point, as silicone only silences them for a day or two. But I digress. Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:14 PM
10th Gear

Yep

Rattled right from the start. Got the dealer to fix it after two weeks. It's complelely gone now. I've got a few other creaks and rattles, some constant, some not. I'll get everything fixed at the first oil change.

Craig
Old 07-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Advanced

I had the same EXACT squeeking noise that you have. It drove me nuts. While I thought it was the shifter plate, for me it wasn't. I found the rattle to be between the aluminum trim pieces to the sides of the NAV system rubbing against the rubber trim. It took me a while to find it. I used silicone spray and sprayed in btw the two pieces. That solved the problem for me. Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I had a rattle on the center console too...it was when the 2 plates that close the 2 slots behind the gear shifter (the one with the cigarrate lighter and the one above it) rubbed together...my solution was to drive with the top drawer open and the rattles were gone...see if that is your issue.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Cruisin'

Yes, I dug up an old thread, but why repost when you can revive an old one that is exactly what I was looking for!?!?!

Anyways, I have the shifter bezel squeak/creaking and I'm only at 1200k on the TL. Took it in last week and they replaced the bezel. But they didn't actually get rid of the creaking. I can force it to creak by pushing on the bezel just slightly. It's driving me crazy! When I stop and when I pull off from a light or stop it creaks both ways. Taking it back in on Monday to have it looked at again. I'd fix it myself but I figured I'd give Acura a chance. So far they've refused to fix the rear deck rattling from the speakes. But that's another thread...
Old 04-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
the bezel around the shifter is easily removed just by lifting it off...then i pulled all the poorly done felt off and replaced it with the soft side of velcro, i trimmed it to fit and pop it back on and no problems since...some things are just better handled by yourself then at the dealer....they just dont care like you do....if you know what i mean...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Cruisin'

Mysteriously it has stopped... I have a felling it'll be back at some point. When it does, I'll try the felt trick.