Rattle dilemma, need help:

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle dilemma, need help:

I have the rear rattle that stops once you push the rear deck down. Today I took it into the dealer. The service rep and tech both come out to the waiting area and tell me they can't work on it. The tech says that since my car is lowered the rear deck was removed for installation and that voids the warranty of the rear deck. After I ask him to explain how removing the deck would void the warranty of any rattles he says that it might not have been installed correctly when putting it back on. I told him what if it wasnt the actual deck but the sub or something else that is causing the rattle. He says they won't take it a part w/ out charging. He then says that to him the sub sounds aftermarket (idiot) and that the bass is way too high (set to middle). I told him if they can prove that removing the rear deck was the cause then I will gladly pay for the labor but if not it should be covered. They would'nt budge.

So I'm wondering should I call the service manager with the TSB on the rear deck rattle and see if they should fix it. Any advice?? Does anyone have the updated TSB??
Old 09-13-2006, 06:52 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
You will not like my answer. Usually if you take something apart that is under warranty, no more warranty. They don't have to prove that you did something cause it is obvious that it has been tampered with, sorry.

The only way to make sure that you have a claim is to not fool with it. If you want to get it fixed, take it back to the people that worked on it. It was factory risk until you cancelled it which you did. You are lucky it was not something more serious. Hope you learned something. Just my $.02
Old 09-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MR1
You will not like my answer. Usually if you take something apart that is under warranty, no more warranty. They don't have to prove that you did something cause it is obvious that it has been tampered with, sorry.

The only way to make sure that you have a claim is to not fool with it. If you want to get it fixed, take it back to the people that worked on it. It was factory risk until you cancelled it which you did. You are lucky it was not something more serious. Hope you learned something. Just my $.02
True, but I can see if the actual shelf itself was the cause of the rattle because of not being installed correctly then it would be void. But it does'nt make sense to void everything the shelf covers underneath like the sub. that was my argument. I asked if they can look and see if the rattle was coming from the sub or somewhere else underneath the rear shelf.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Talking

Update: I called Keyes Acura in Sherman Oaks (For SoCal members: YES Keyes!! I know everyone hates them!) Anyways Josh the assistant service manager took good care of me. Right off the bat he said that if they find that its the aftermarket part itself that was rattling or causing the rattle it would be a 98.00 fee. But he said if it was a factory part it would be covered under warranty. Now that seemed fair to me so I had them check it out. Turns out it was the seat belt harness. Covered under warranty!! They put some insulation in and it seems for now to take care of the problem. Even with the bass on the sub up it does'nt rattle. So I am going to try Keyes next week for an oil change. I know most people hate them but they are right around the corner and they took good care of me this time.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:55 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
haahah in your second post u said that "if the rear deck was installed correctly." i just thought to my self that you know it was already installed correctly cus it DOES rattle. if they improperly installed it i bet it wouldn't make a peep. my interior, like my roommates G35, are both rattletraps.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:11 AM
RVC
Advanced

My dealer said the same thing to me about my rear deck rattle...."you have the bass turned all the way up, that's why it rattles". Such BS, the car was designed with that stereo equipment in it and it should be able to be used at it's full potential. Scammers.