Rattle behind the dash compartments

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rattle behind the dash compartments

When ever i hit the gas or break, a noise comes from behind the two compartments in the center console. It sounds like either some change slipped through the back of the compartments or there are some screws rolling around in there for some reason. Does anyone know of a way to get access to that area so that I can pull out what ever it is rolling around in there? ........... without taking out the whole dash of course. :pound
Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I had some similar "new" (as in not that old) rattles until I discovered a few weeks ago that they were caused by two magazines in my lower doored compartment in front of my shifter. I just turned them around 180 degrees and the rattle stopped.

So check to see if you have anything "extra" floating around in your small doored storage compartments.. they do tend to make some noise.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took mine in to the dealer 3 times with a rattle in the console. Turned out to be the Navi had a broken part in the back. Replaced the navi ok now.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Originally Posted by swoodle
I took mine in to the dealer 3 times with a rattle in the console. Turned out to be the Navi had a broken part in the back. Replaced the navi ok now.
hey, do you have info on what part this is? something is moving around behind my dash, but i tried to look for it myself to no avail.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:03 PM
10th Gear

I have the same problem and it took me months to figure out where it was coming from and drove me crazy. I originally thought it was coming from my center channel speaker but to my amazment when I put something heavy in the top compartment right below the navi it went away and when i take it out it comes right back. So next time it does it just put your hand in there and push down or put something kinda heavy (like a bag of change) in there and see if it stops. Hope this helped.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Instructor

I have a brand new 07 TL, and there is a 'soft' rattle coming from the area of the center / front of the car. I've tried pressing down as you describe to no avail. This particular noise is 'gentle', and 'medium frequency'. It's noticeable on moderately rough surfaces, at anywhere from 5 to, say, 30 MPH. It's more of a 'buzz' than a rattle. You know the sound you get when you tune to a bad AM station, you get a sort of harsh buzz. Well, this is like a softer version of that. But this is definititely not electrical interference. Once the car gets above 30 mph, I don't hear it; maybe it goes away or, maybe I just can't hear it!

My girlfriend tells me I have bionic hearing (she's partially deaf, though... ). When I picked up the car, the dealer said, let me know if there are ANY problems. I told him then, I don't care if the wheels fall off but if I hear one rattle, I'll be back! I HATE rattles! I guess I'll track this one for a while... I have little faith that they will find it.

I remember when I got my new Acura Legend (14 years ago, still have the car!) - there was an incredibly difficult to find rattle. I finally shoved a business card in some spot, and cured it. That business card is still there today!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Advanced

There's nothing in either of the compartments right now. I'll try putting the change there and see what happens. I don't have navi, but I was doing some spirited driving a couple days before it happened, but that still shouldn't have happened. So it might be similar to swoodle's problem. I'll try the change and let you know what happens.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Steerpike from what you're saying though, I read another post about something like that and they said that it goes away if you leave the compartment doors open.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
06' TL Auto/Nav WDP

Steerpike, I had a buzzing type issue and it was the driver side of the dashboard not making good contact on the side of the dash. When I open my driver side door, I had a gap of about a quarter inch running from top to bottom of were the side of the dashboard shoud meet the frame of the car. I forced some weather stripping in the gap to make a tight fit and it fixed it. Don't know if this is your issue, but gives you another area to try.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Advanced

update

Talked to the dealer. They said that they've never heard of anything like that before. They're going to look at it next Friday. I'll post an update about what they find.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLWay
Steerpike, I had a buzzing type issue and it was the driver side of the dashboard not making good contact on the side of the dash. When I open my driver side door, I had a gap of about a quarter inch running from top to bottom of were the side of the dashboard shoud meet the frame of the car. I forced some weather stripping in the gap to make a tight fit and it fixed it. Don't know if this is your issue, but gives you another area to try.
I traced my sound to the center speaker area; if I press down hard on the area immediately in front of the speaker, it stops. I've since found lengthy threads on how to remove the center speaker, and install weather stripping there; that seems to be my issue. It's actually getting worse, I can hear it at idle, and especially when I rev at about 1,800 rpm - but knowing the source, and knowing there is a fix, makes me feel a whole lot better!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My center speaker grill rattles like mad too. So annoying. If I press down on the center speaker grill, the rattle goes away. Of course, I've got like rattles coming from two other locaitons in my 07 TL-S with 1600 miles on it...booo...
Old 08-20-2007, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TLWay

I've got the car at the dealership for this exact problem and a seat problem. The rattling was killing me. I pinpointed it down to the glove compartment. When the glove compartment was open, no rattling...shut, and on a slightly bumpy road...the rattling was bad. Opened up the passenger side door and noticed a gap between the glove compartment unit and the dash unit. Hope they fix it.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Advanced

So i took the car to the dealership today, they found a bunch of change a pen and a knife in the heater element. I didn't hear anything on the way home, so I'm assuming that was it. He says that the only way the stuff could have got in there was through the front center vent. He also noticed that the screws that hold the radio were all really loose.

He thinks that the person who had the car before managed to get the stuff stuck in there and had previously tried to get it out.

I have an alternate idea though, there are vents in the floor underneath the front seats. Does anyone know if the rear floor vent duct work leads to the same heating element? Maybe stuff on the floor slid into them. As far as why the console was loose ........ wtf . Oh well I'm just glad to have the car back rattle free.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a similar problem, but it sounds like it is coming from the odomoter/steering wheel mount. It's a faint, hissing like buzz noise. But at times its high pitched (not loud tho). It almost sounds like a ringing/buzz noise of an old-school telephone that is ringing a mile away...

I've been debating taking the car into the dealership to fix that, some other creaking noises in the trim bezel of the driverside door, and rattling coming from the front passenger doorframe/headboard? area. I read up on a fix for the window/doorframe and will have to get someone to try it.

I really don't like the idea of having someone opening up the dash or door panels with fear that newer rattles will result from shoddy worksmanship. I've even decided not to get my windows tinted because of the same reason.

The rattles my TL has experienced:
1) Odomoter gauge pod/ steering wheel mount area has a hissing buzz-sound
2) Passenger window has very apparent rattle in door/window frame area. This one only happens in the mornings and over pavement that is rough, not bumpy.
3) Rattle inside the dash behind the glovebox - (NOTE: for some reason or another, this rattle is gone. I haven't heard the noise since getting my oilchange at the dealer. I did not even mention that I had the rattle when I took it in)

4) Trim bezel on drivers-side door near seat-memory setting sometimes has a sticky popping sound as if double stick tape was being tacked on and off.

Should I have the dealer look at these?? Or should I just bite my lip and avoid compounding the problems? Right now the only way I can deal with the rattles is FM Radio Laugh Nation or Comedy Stand Up. The comedy stations really help, especially when there's alot of cursing. Saves me from the trouble