Radio buzz/whistle (possible ground problem) after A/C Compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radio buzz/whistle (possible ground problem) after A/C Compressor replacement

I have one of those odd issues that sends you running to the online forums. I have a completely stock 2005 TL with 171,000 miles. The A/C compressor died and I had it replaced at the Goodyear service center. Picked up the car in the evening and noticed interference in the radio. It was even more noticeable the next morning in the garage with no outside noise. Quickly did some trouble shooting.

A/C on or off had no impact, however, when I turn off the engine and operate in ACC mode the noise disappears. Checked fade and balance and all speakers were clear. Seems to be picking up interference somewhere when the car is running.

That morning I stopped at Goodyear and the tech said, "Oh, sounds like a ground issue. Come back when the mechanic is here and they'll take care of it." Spent an hour there and they said they couldn't find anything they did wrong. Sent me away with the copy of an Acura service bulletin regarding HandsFreeLink in the roof (which hasn't worked in years on my car so that had nothing to do with it!) and said I should check with the Acura dealer.

I've found some similar problems in forums and called local audio shops, and it seems to come back to the "ground problem". I don't think it's the head unit or OEM amp, as they work fine in ACC mode. Hate to take it to the dealer and have them tell me to replace them for who knows how much $.
Any ideas? Or has anyone else had unrelated engine/service work performed and then ended up with a "ground issue?"
THANKS!