Question Regarding TSB's & Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Question Regarding TSB's & Transmission Question

Hey guys, I've got a few problems with my car and I've found that a few are covered in the TSB's. Does that mean I can take it to an Acura dealership and they will fix these problems on their account or do you still have to pay for these fixes??

1. Wipers Don't Work (Wiper Fluid doesn't come out...though this may not be the same as the TSB)
2. Driveline Vibration @ 55-60mph (shakes my seats quite a bit!)
...along with a few others

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other question I have pertains to my transmission. I had the transmission rebuilt in the summer of '11 (around 8-9 months ago) and I feel like it still does not shift and act like a good transmission should. It was FULL rebuild and I have the receipt that states what all work was done. Problems:

1. Rough 2-3 & 3-4 shift 50% of the time. By rough I mean I can actually feel the transmission shifting into another gear and it's almost as if the car is going, stops for a second to shift, then goes again. It kinda throws me forward instead of not being able to feel the shift at all.

2. HARD downshift (around 10% of the time) when going downhill. This is about 5x as hard as the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. It literally kinda scares you b/c you're just coasting along going downhill and slowly coming to a stop and it will toss you forward quite good.

3. I have hesitation between reverse and drive. About 1-3 full seconds before it will engage and start moving forward. I see this talked about quite a bit but didn't know if this was a "problem" or just a common complaint. Either way...I have this issue

I live in Oklahoma and was on my way to Colorado for a college class I have to take when all the sudden my tranny takes a dump. I had it towed to Amarillo, TX since it was closest and it was rebuilt by Five Star Transmissions. I just wanted to make sure if this stuff is normal of these transmissions even when they're in healthy, working condition because if not I need to call and set up and appointment somewhere to have this looked at while I'm still under warranty!

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Since you have an 04, the dealer will charge you for the TSB's. They may goodwill it for you.

Go get your tranny looked at while it's under warranty. Did they change out the 3/4 sensors? What fluid are you running?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Sorry Ggesq..I swear I thought I was in the Problems forums lol. My bad on that

I'll take it to a dealer and see what they can do as far as the TSB's. It's not a huge deal to not use the wipers to wipe off bird crap, etc lol..but it'd be nice for it to work if they can fix it for free or really cheap.

Regarding the transmission, here's everything that was fixed:

There's "clutches" on there, but I'm not sure if that's what that means or not. I feel like it feels just as crappy as it did before it failed...and when paying this much money for a fix, I want it to feel AMAZING! lol

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

As far as tranny fluid, the shop said they put in "their fluid" for new rebuilds/fresh trannies. I'll ask wtf they have in there when I call them soon...if I need to
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
The 3rd part you said about it taking awhile for the car to go from

Park -> Reverse
Park -> Drive
Drive -> Reverse
Reverse -> Drive

these are all normal for the 3G TL. I am 100% sure that everyone who has a TL experienced the slight "lag delay" it takes for the transmission to shift into the gear before it actually gets moving. If you wait for it, you can actually feel the transmission engage than you will know when you can step on the pedal to go.

When I first got the car, the first 1-2 weeks I wasn't used to it. I would shift from Park -> Drive or Park -> Reverse and step on the gas right away and my car ends up revving up and when it finally engages the gear the car jerks forward quite a bit because of the revving.

You just gotta wait til you hear the transmission kind of "clicK" if you will into gear than it's safe to go.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
You have every symptom of bad pressure switches. Thats probably what made it go out in the first place. Time is very important here.

Most shops use a bulk Dex III fluid and add a bottle of FM like Lubegard Black for Honda vehicles.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You have every symptom of bad pressure switches. Thats probably what made it go out in the first place. Time is very important here.

Most shops use a bulk Dex III fluid and add a bottle of FM like Lubegard Black for Honda vehicles.
I'll call them and ask if they changed them out. If not then I'll have them pay for that and try to put in a better ATF
Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

UPDATE

So I just called Five Star Transmissions in Amarillo,TX and told them my problems. He said "yeah...sounds like pressure switch" and "yeah..we've done a few of those before", but said that they won't cover the work because it's not "inside the transmission that they worked on". They did a FULL REBUILD and I paid them to fix the transmission. They obviously DID NOT fix the transmission correctly as they didn't replace those switches in the first place. They just placed my old one's right back in there and now I'm back to square one.

I'm livid right now to say the least. I know pressure switches aren't that expensive, but it's the fact that I paid over 2G's to have a full rebuild and they can't fix the transmission. It's bullshit. And I won't let this fly if I can. It has a 1yr warranty and I fully intend to use that 1yr warranty. I figure some of you might know what I can do or say to get this thing on the ball and make the shop responsible. This is my last semester and I don't have time to be driving around to shops, getting evaluations, having the switches replaced, etc only for my tranny to take a shit after my 1yr warranty. What can/should I do??

Old 01-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Replaced at almost 113K miles and now it has 118K miles and feels exactly the same as before it went out.