Punks Threw Large Rock From Overpass On Top My Type S!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Punks Threw Large Rock From Overpass On Top My Type S!!

What's up everyone!? I don't usually post on here - just do a bunch of reading.. but I wanted to see what you guys might have to say or suggest about this.

So yesterday my wife and I were driving on the interstate and some young punks tossed large piece of concrete on the top of my car while I was going 60+ mph - with my 4-month old daughter in the back (f$@king) seat! Yes I'm pissed! THANK GOD everyone is ok - not a scratch on any of us somehow. My wife actually noticed the kids right at the last minute and then BANG! It hit just above my head where the door meets the roof. From there it bounced and hit the rear window - busting the glass. Luckily (very luckily) the glass stayed in the frame and did not fall on my daughter. My wife immediately called 911 as I pulled off to the right and I actually backed up the on-ramp, hanging my head out the window because I couldn't see through the shattered back glass. I backed all the way up the ramp to the overpass to try and find some of the little punks - of course they were all gone. But - it turns out that someone saw them running away and the cops actually tracked one of them down - a 13 yr. old kid!

It was f#@king CRAZY! I don't know what I would of done if any of us would of got hurt! God was on our side - that's for sure!

My main reason for posting is to see if anyone has any advice on getting this taken care with insurance and everything. I already put the claim in to Progressive. I'm supposed to talk to someone in the morning. The main damage is where the rock landed on the roof - right where the door meets the roof. It bashed the frame in pretty bad (the pics don't really do justice). I assume this will just be a repair? Given the car is worth over 20K I doubt they'll total - do you agree? This pisses me off so bad! I've babied this car - and they're never the same after getting extensive repairs. My plan is to take it the Acura dealer where I purchased it for an estimate. Does anyone have any advice? Should I take it to multiple shops?

It's been a really long time since I've had to deal with insurance claims. Just looking for any input that might help me out. Basically, I'm just trying to cover all my bases.

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
wow, glad everyone is alright.

Hope everything works in your favor.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:57 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
holy crap! thankfully everyone is okay and it didn't cause more....damage in other ways.

let your insurance take care of you, it'll all work out. find a really good body shop in your area if you are particular. the dealer bodyshop or dealer associated bodyshop is not necessarily always the best and neither are the ones recommended by the insurance company. i made that mistake once. the work was par at best. found another body shop that works on high end cars...awesome work. so do some homework or look around in the regional forums to see if anyone there has recommendations for your area. the back window...make sure you get OEM glass. thank goodness for safety glass.

hope this helps and good luck.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Should be a comprehensive claim. IOW - no increase in your insurance due to making a claim.

Let your insurance deal with the repair payment. Let them figure out if they can get reimbursed from the perpetrators or not. If they luck out, you'll get your deductible back.

Looks like the edge of an Ohio plate? Where did this happen? Just curious.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Damn punk ass kids. 13 years old?

Things are so messed up these days I just smh.

Hope everything turns out okay and glad to hear no one got hurt.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I would be pissed too. Your lucky that it looks like it only damaged the trim and window. Could have gotten your windshield, hood, or worse. Insurance will fix it, and the only place you'll need new paint is your hood, the LEAST noticeable spot on your car. I've never had a problem with a good body shop not matching paint. Like the other guy said, should be a comprehensive claim, and if they caught the one kid I'd think you could prosecute? That kid should be locked up in juvie for a while, thinking of the movie "The Good Son".
Old 03-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I am glad you are alright. This could have been so much worse. A few years ago, local to me, a school buss driver died when kids threw a brick or a huge rock from the overpass.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:20 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Very glad noone was hurt-Hopefully they will charge this 13 year old-I would go after this kid's parents and make them pay. Good luck to you.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
Very glad noone was hurt-Hopefully they will charge this 13 year old-I would go after this kid's parents and make them pay. Good luck to you.

IMO you need new rear glass, the roof repainted, a new side molding and them to rework the metal on that portion. The damage there isn't to bad and it won't affect the driving or anything really. The main structural support is the series of braces, supports and welds along it. The roof is simply a covering for all of it (the beauty of ACE). It shouldn't be more than 2-3K to fix in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I could easily see 25 years to life for doing something like this as a valid sentence. And if anyone in the car is seriously injured, life. If someone is killed, death. Time to stop making excuses for scum has no reason to be amongst us.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Idle teen kids. Be very thankful no one was hurt and as a similar incident happened a few weeks ago in my home country and the driver died on the spot. He was actually coming from a family member's funeral when it happened. Good Luck with insurance and the repairs.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Do kids think this is fun to them? Things like this piss me off.
I'm glad that it didn't go through the windshield.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damm man that is terrible and your kid was in the car I have a four year old and a 1 year old i would flip glad you guys are alright.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Its great you and your family are fine. Your insurance will not go up, just get a copy of the police report in the event your insurance comp needs it, just pay the deductable and have the dealer fix it. In NY if a kid did that, he will be lucky to make it to 14. Someone in your car could have lost their life.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 PM
B A N N E D

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
God was riding in your car!! The car can be fixed, you family could'nt have if something would of happen to you or one of them. Glad it was not worst!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
That kid could have killed you, your wife, or your baby. It was pure luck that no one was hurt. 13 or not, he would be eating through a straw. Glad everyone was alright. And I agree with one of the above posts, the dealer bodyshop is not always the best. I would look for shops that do high end cars and custom cars.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
^ God is so good...
Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
So sorry to hear this.

It's good to hear no one got hurt.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad to hear all of you are ok. It's rediculous how they thought that would be fun.

I would skip talking to your insurance and go straight to the kid's parents so that they can pay for your damage to make your TL look like nothing happened.

Do you think the glass would have shattered if the tint film wasn't there?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 AM
2014 MDX, 2011 Audi B8 S4

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you are ok. I have the same TLS as U! That SUX! If that was me with my wife and daughter..those punks would have met Smith & Wesson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Intermediate

It happened it downtown Cincinnati. It was tossed from the Ezzard Charles overpass.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Should be a comprehensive claim. IOW - no increase in your insurance due to making a claim.

Let your insurance deal with the repair payment. Let them figure out if they can get reimbursed from the perpetrators or not. If they luck out, you'll get your deductible back.

Looks like the edge of an Ohio plate? Where did this happen? Just curious.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the good words and advice. It was crazy!

Insurance called me again yesterday to get the details. At this point I just need to take it to a body shop of my preference. Once I find one the insurance agent will go there and talk to them about the estimate. I'm going to look for high-end shop here in Cincinnati.

The detectives are supposed to be in touch. And then we'll be making some trips to Juvenile Hall. And trust me - if possible I'd go after the parents and make them pay... but they aren't going to have any money. I'll just have to see if there's anything I can do. If they have (or had) money I'd sue their balls off! Anyone one of us could of been seriously hurt - or killed. I can't imagine what I would of done if something happened to my daughter! I'm also thanking God that the cops found them before I did - otherwise I'd probably be in serious trouble!

The kids don't have a conscious and they sure as hell don't know what repercussions are. There are too people having kids that shouldn't be. But I'm not going to get into all that. All I know is that if something isn't done they are going to kill people. We were so damn lucky!

Most of the overpasses have the fencing up on the side. But of course there was construction going on at this overpass and the fencing wasn't on the inner sides. I'm going to contact whoever I need to, to make sure these fences are put in place - EVERYWHERE! We can't control these kids - but adding the fencing is something the city can do to prevent something awful from happening!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Intermediate

This is a good point - and didn't even think of it. I'm not positive, but my guess is the film did help. Once I got home the glass started falling in the car when I shut my door.

Again, thank God the glass held until we got my daughter out the back. It would only take a tiny piece of glass in her eye(s) to cause serious problems!

Originally Posted by jungy4
Glad to hear all of you are ok. It's rediculous how they thought that would be fun.

I would skip talking to your insurance and go straight to the kid's parents so that they can pay for your damage to make your TL look like nothing happened.

Do you think the glass would have shattered if the tint film wasn't there?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm glad no one got hurt with that. I hope the parents and the system straighten those kids out.

Find a shop that has a good reputation with fixing high end cars and check out their work to see how it looks. Let your insurance company know who you're taking it to and have them work directly with the shop so you don't have any issues with payment because additional costs may arise. It seems like it did not damage the part of the roof after the strip so they won't have to blend the paint on that side.

I hope that it all works out for you.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Intermediate

Thanks! I'm going to call a few shops this afternoon. I found one that has good reviews after doing work on Bimmers and Porsches.

Of course the important thing is that no one was hurt. But the car damage still sucks! Other than a few scratches this thing was in PERFECT condition. Cars are never the same to me after body work. Luckily there won't be any difference in the way that it drives. But it's just the fact that I know it happened. I'll probably end up trying to sell it after it's back to normal. I just don't know how easy it will be selling a car that's worth over 20K as a private seller - especially when it's financed and I don't have the title in hand. What a pain!

Originally Posted by sddale
I'm glad no one got hurt with that. I hope the parents and the system straighten those kids out.

Find a shop that has a good reputation with fixing high end cars and check out their work to see how it looks. Let your insurance company know who you're taking it to and have them work directly with the shop so you don't have any issues with payment because additional costs may arise. It seems like it did not damage the part of the roof after the strip so they won't have to blend the paint on that side.

I hope that it all works out for you.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
What's wrong with kids these days? Just let your insurance handle the damages and be glad that your family is okay.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I'm so happy that: (1) you and your family are ok and (2) at least one of those little bastards is caught.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:38 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by B'sTL
It happened it downtown Cincinnati. It was tossed from the Ezzard Charles overpass.
I know that area well.

Glad you're all OK. Hope you get a little satisfaction.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Although any kind of body work sucks it seems like they will just replace the glass, repair the dent and paint the section between the black molding up there. The car will be fine after that. I would be more worried if panels needed to be replaced or paint blending. Nothing is going to make you feel great right now but give it some time and see how it looks after is repaired.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Wow---glad everyone is okay. Good luck on the repairs.
There were some kids (I presume) doing this in my area a while back, too. Overpasses on an Interstate highway---I believe they killed more than one person and caused numerous wrecks before they stopped. I don't think anyone was ever brought to justice for it, either.
Thanks for posting the pics and story. I will be showing this thread to my 11 year old son tonight in an effort to show him how poor judgement can lead to people getting hurt.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
omg dude, thank god your family is ok..if i was ever in that situation god forbid i would've ran that kid over. Those little pricks. God bless your family.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Man, glad you and your family is fine.
Seriously, need to bring these kids to justice, i don't care if it's their family background or just themselves, we need to stop these people from harming the public.

Reminded one time when i was driving on local street, a ball hit the roof of my car and slightly scratched the paint, the kid came out look innocence, then the parent came out not even apologize or ask if my car is fine, and told her kid not to admit anything...
Sorry for my rant.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 AM
MATT

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
geez....glad to hear nobody got hurt...i would have flipped if that was my car and my little girl was in the back seat....hope you get the TL fixed better than new....i dread car repair
Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 AM
Instructor

I would have called then nearest police dept. and then conducted my own search of the overpass area ........
Their parents would be hearing from my lawyer.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Pro

may god bless all of us because you never know whats coming to you out there! i'm glad you are ok and your family!! doesn't look like they would total it but like someone already said, finding a very good bodyshop that deals with high end cars would be the best choice!! GL
Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Damn - you're good! Just got a message from the shop. Right now the estimate is right around 2K.

HOWEVER... INSURANCE IS PUTTING IN FOR AFTERMARKET GLASS for the rear.... the difference is around $600 per. You have to be kidding me - with all the money we pay for insurance!

HOW DO I FIGHT THIS??? I will not settle for anything other than original!!

PLEASE HELP!

Originally Posted by csmeance

IMO you need new rear glass, the roof repainted, a new side molding and them to rework the metal on that portion. The damage there isn't to bad and it won't affect the driving or anything really. The main structural support is the series of braces, supports and welds along it. The roof is simply a covering for all of it (the beauty of ACE). It shouldn't be more than 2-3K to fix in my opinion.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
Wow.. those freaking punks. Kids these days...

Glad you and your family are okay though and thank God the rear glass didn't shatter. Hope it all works out in your favor man.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fight insurance on the aftermarket glass? They'll be calling soon I'm sure.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Just be hard on them and say you want your car with all the components just as is before it was damaged. They should cover the cost of the tint as well. Don't settle for less!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Firm, but polite. Until you need to get medieval on their asses!

Quick Reply: Punks Threw Large Rock From Overpass On Top My Type S!!