Prototype Dash lights for that common problem we all have

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Prototype Dash lights for that common problem we all have

I wasn't sure where to post this so I am putting it here. Mods are welcome to move it.

I am starting this thread so that the progress of this project can be tracked.

As I have mentioned in other threads I wanted to find a way to permanently fix the common dash light issue. Those little incandescent lights have caused us much grief with their unreliable functionality.

I contacted a good friend of mine and together we have put together a couple white and a couple blue LEDs. He was able to source an LED that would accept the V of our cars and produce equal illumination/magnitude as our current lights with a much longer lasting effect.

Since I only was able to get a hold of 4 of our (Acura) bulbs he was forced to test the LEDs on an Accord bulb housing prior to hacking onto the ones I sent him as he had a few more of those laying around. As you can see in the pics he successfully built a functional LED light in an Accord housing at the voltage I provided him per the supply of our cars in the various areas. He also inserted them into his housing to demonstrate the blue vs the white.

I will be getting the Acura incandescent replacement LEDs in a week or so and will post pics of the before and after to show the difference. If we do not like the look, we will make adjustments. We will keep making adjustments until it is right. I want to put these LEDs in one last time and never have to worry about them again. And yes they do come in red too....for you Type-S guys.

The following 3 users liked this post by C2CuSn07 TL:
gazadre (01-16-2013), IntactACK (08-14-2013), raulmal (01-07-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by C2CuSn07 TL
I wasn't sure where to post this so I am putting it here. Mods are welcome to move it.

I am starting this thread so that the progress of this project can be tracked.

As I have mentioned in other threads I wanted to find a way to permanently fix the common dash light issue. Those little incandescent lights have caused us much grief with their unreliable functionality.

I contacted a good friend of mine and together we have put together a couple white and a couple blue LEDs. He was able to source an LED that would accept the V of our cars and produce equal illumination/magnitude as our current lights with a much longer lasting effect.

Since I only was able to get a hold of 4 of our (Acura) bulbs he was forced to test the LEDs on an Accord bulb housing prior to hacking onto the ones I sent him as he had a few more of those laying around. As you can see in the pics he successfully built a functional LED light in an Accord housing at the voltage I provided him per the supply of our cars in the various areas. He also inserted them into his housing to demonstrate the blue vs the white.

I will be getting the Acura incandescent replacement LEDs in a week or so and will post pics of the before and after to show the difference. If we do not like the look, we will make adjustments. We will keep making adjustments until it is right. I want to put these LEDs in one last time and never have to worry about them again. And yes they do come in red too....for you Type-S guys.

If you plan on selling anything, or your friends your going to have to contact administrator ASTRO to become setup as a vendor!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
If you plan on selling anything, or your friends your going to have to contact administrator ASTRO to become setup as a vendor!

I never considered that. I was hoping to do a DIY thread. Hummmmm. Guess I better look into product cost and how much Admin would need to be a vendor. Guess I better see if there is a demand for something like this. Man you opened up a can of worms, lol.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

I never considered that. I was hoping to do a DIY thread. Hummmmm. Guess I better look into product cost and how much Admin would need to be a vendor. Guess I better see if there is a demand for something like this. Man you opened up a can of worms, lol.
Like I said, if you do decide to sell something and profit off it vs helping the community your going to need to become a vendor. If you make a DIY then it's all good.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd buy them.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Instructor

Like I said, if you do decide to sell something and profit off it vs helping the community your going to need to become a vendor. If you make a DIY then it's all good.
I will look into it closely. I do not want to violate any rules on here. Lord knows I wont make a profit, but if it helps others I suppose I can pay the vendor fees and cough up the capital as a donation for the greater good. I just wanted to find a way to overcome this chronic issue. Thank ya csmeance for the insight.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Got a small package today. I will do my best to get these into the car this week. The ones with the blue lines are the blue LEDs. Again I will get pics of my testing. I have contacted a Sr Mod in the case I need a vendor account IF there is a market for these and others want them and I do sell them.

Last edited by C2CuSn07 TL; 01-06-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Instructor

I PMed Astro. Judging by your exclamatory response I crossed a line. I apologize and honestly didn't mean to upset you or this forums rules. I really didn't consider selling this product until you mentioned it. I am just trying to stay on this site as it seems I may have upset you twice in one thread......that is definitely not good practice.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Senior Moderator

I PMed Astro. Judging by your exclamatory response I crossed a line. I apologize and honestly didn't mean to upset you or this forums rules. I really didn't consider selling this product until you mentioned it. I am just trying to stay on this site as it seems I may have upset you twice in one thread......that is definitely not good practice.
I didn't mean to come off like that! Just don't want to see a good member end up in trouble!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Instructor

I didn't mean to come off like that! Just don't want to see a good member end up in trouble!
Thank yah sir. Still waiting to hear back from Astro. In the mean time ill work on getting pics of these things installed.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Any updates? All my lights are dead so i'd like to fix them with a permanent solution.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marsaloni
Any updates? All my lights are dead so i'd like to fix them with a permanent solution.
I might try and sneak them in this week. We can agree it is a PITA to swap them. I will keep you updated, but must purchase a $alty vendor account even if I sell one set. Just letting you know if they do work and look great I will need to get an account before selling.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
nice, will these dim like oem bulbs? It is indeed a PITA to replace them so when 1 goes out, it's best to replace them all to save yourself the hassle next time
Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any news on these bulbs?? I'd really like to use this method than the 10 page process I found in the garage to upgrade my 05 TL to LED.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Instructor

If anyone can tell me the most common bulbs that go out in our cars I would be grateful. I haven't actually counted how many bulbs would be needed in a 'kit' but I will do my best to get pics before and after with a possible side by side pic to show any differences in illumination or color.

J
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
If anyone can tell me the most common bulbs that go out in our cars I would be grateful. I haven't actually counted how many bulbs would be needed in a 'kit' but I will do my best to get pics before and after with a possible side by side pic to show any differences in illumination or color.
The most common bulbs that go out on these cars are the 6 in the steering wheel, the center console buttons around the Nav screen, the 4-way flasher switch, and the seat heater switches. The cost of the bulbs themselves is tolerable, but the labor involved is absolutely crazy. The stealership quoted me $240 labor just to do the steering wheel bulbs. Guess where I told them to go.

Last edited by DMZ; 07-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
steering wheel/hfl, sunroof, heated seats, vsa, trunk, mirror control, radio/hvac, hazards
Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMZ
The most common bulbs that go out on these cars are the 6 in the steering wheel, the center console buttons around the Nav screen, the 4-way flasher switch, and the seat heater switches. The cost of the bulbs themselves is tolerable, but the labor involved is absolutely crazy. The stealership quoted me $240 labor just to do the steering wheel bulbs. Guess where I told them to go.
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
steering wheel/hfl, sunroof, heated seats, vsa, trunk, mirror control, radio/hvac, hazards

Noted and I will make sure we get the appropriate lights put together for these areas first before any. The ones we have built so far are for the heated seats, HVAC controls around screen, and other related bulb sizes. I will focus on the others as well. We are starting with the OEM blue and white bulbs, but will make RED upon request. Plugging the 05 Navi unit into a bench test module this week and will get pics and post results.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Sorry the pics are out of order. The middle pic is incandescent only. The Bottom pic has incandescent on top button only and LED on bottom buttons. The Top pic has ALL LED on full brightness.

Last edited by C2CuSn07 TL; 08-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

LED's dim?

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
nice, will these dim like oem bulbs? It is indeed a PITA to replace them so when 1 goes out, it's best to replace them all to save yourself the hassle next time
was the question of do these dim like the oem bulbs answered? I looked over the thread a few times and saw nothing but my attntion span is that of a gold fish so maybe i missed it. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Yes they are able to dim. And you are correct they are a pain to replace when one goes out. These will last wayyyy longer than incandescent bulbs and function the same.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Why do the lower ones seem brighter than the upper ones? I only need bulbs for my climate control how many bulbs am i replacing? I counted 12 correct me if im wrong, by the way i am extremely interested but just curious arent these the same bulbs?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...panel-led/221/

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 08-05-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:30 AM
Instructor

I think it is because of how transparent the symbols are on the actual button. Here are a couple more pics using a combo of white LED, OEM white and blue LED. I can probably get red as well. The dimmer pic is at 9V and the Brighter is at 12-13V.

Again the order of bulb/led in this setup is (bottom to top) White LED, OEM white, Blue LED, white OEM. Ill try and get a pic of all white and all blue later on if I can escape work early enough.

As for the LED Bulbs on Super Bright, yes they are similar in design but if you pull the exact measurements on each they are either way too long or too large in diameter. Those look like a T1 or a T1-3/4 light when ours is closer to a T4.

Last edited by C2CuSn07 TL; 08-05-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Pro

I think it is because of how transparent the symbols are on the actual button. Here are a couple more pics using a combo of white LED, OEM white and blue LED. I can probably get red as well. The dimmer pic is at 9V and the Brighter is at 12-13V.

Again the order of bulb/led in this setup is (bottom to top) White LED, OEM white, Blue LED, white OEM. Ill try and get a pic of all white and all blue later on if I can escape work early enough.

As for the LED Bulbs on Super Bright, yes they are similar in design but if you pull the exact measurements on each they are either way too long or too large in diameter. Those look like a T1 or a T1-3/4 light when ours is closer to a T4.
Oh ok cool so when are we going to be able to get our hands on these things? I have my paypal ready to go.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Instructor

As soon as I get a reply from the site owners so I can upgrade to a vendor account
Old 08-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Anyone have an idea is to how many bulbs are in our buttons and switches? I'll have to sit in my car and count each one if no one does. I am looking into a bulk purchase for somewhat of a lower price. I'll have to figure in shipping (which should be very minimal in this country) and also try and figure in the hefty vendor upgrade imma have to make up for. If I loose a little cash on this project I might be cool as it is a benefit for many and I am not running a business or trying to make a lot of profit. Just need to cover the investment.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Instructor

I'll give Acura a call tomorrow to find out what the quantity of bulbs is in our cars. Steering wheel, dash, heated seat switch, etc...
Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
cant wait for this to be released
Old 08-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
cant wait for this to be released
You and hundreds more members.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Instructor

I am still yet to hear back from the site owners on an upgrade to sell them.

Can someone count the bulbs in heir car quick so I can get an accurat numbe to buy?

Everyone post the colors they are interested in. So far I have had white blue and red prototypes put together.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Instructor

According to Acura there are 21 incandescent bulbs in out dash and steering column and switches that are swappable with these LEDs. If there are others that are smaller I welcome anyone to send me any of their old ones and I will get to work on making a led version to replace it. Other products will be available later on (out door led strips for our plates and inside headlights) but we are trying to get his going as of now. I'll post pricing and other info after I get the 'Okay' from the site owners. I got an official price today on the cost to make these little long lasting guys. I have calculated PP cost and shipping to the lower 48. Placing an order for 105 whites and 10 blues tonight. They should be manufactured and at my door within 3 weeks. If there is any inclanation that there is a higher demand I will have more sent.

Everyone keep me in the loop on your demands and I will update on the site owners.

Jesse
Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
I need to check to see if the VAS, sunroof, and mirror control uses this same light. If not I will need to score one from somewhere to get a prototype made.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 AM
J-series addict

Received 615 Likes on 465 Posts
Hey Jesse, how ya been bud?

Loving what you've done here and good luck with everything as far as vendorship goes.

To everyone else, I have done my own version of this to both of my older Acuras and is one of the best mods I've done yet. Makes the world of difference!

If anyone likes, I'll post a picture of what it does from an entire dash perspective.
The following users liked this post:
IntactACK (08-14-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 AM
2007 Type S WDP 5AT

Received 171 Likes on 64 Posts
^ please do
Old 08-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yungone501
Hey Jesse, how ya been bud?

Loving what you've done here and good luck with everything as far as vendorship goes.

To everyone else, I have done my own version of this to both of my older Acuras and is one of the best mods I've done yet. Makes the world of difference!

If anyone likes, I'll post a picture of what it does from an entire dash perspective.
Thanks Rob. Yeah pics would be awesome. I will text yah later this week and update you on the build progress. Just need two key components
Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 PM
9th Gear

I am in for 1 kit if you are ready to get them in business
Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TB Bui
I am in for 1 kit if you are ready to get them in business
The lights are on order. Still haven't heart from my online request or email to the site owners yet. Other than that im ready to go. I might have to go amazon or eBay if they do not respond soon.
Anyone wanting red needs to let me know so I can order them. I figure only type s guys would want them.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Since I began this thread I have contacted Asteo and the sight owners at three differen addresses. I have had one moderator respond to me and I have still had no luck with becoming a vendor.
I have no choice but to go eBay or Amazon or create my own website to sell these little guys. The demand is too high to not provide something that we all need. Sorry for the long wait. I will keep everyone posted as the firs bulk order is on the way. We will figure something out. Maybe I will hear from someone yet this week.

J
Old 08-09-2013, 09:25 PM
9th Gear

Since I began this thread I have contacted Asteo and the sight owners at three differen addresses. I have had one moderator respond to me and I have still had no luck with becoming a vendor.
I have no choice but to go eBay or Amazon or create my own website to sell these little guys. The demand is too high to not provide something that we all need. Sorry for the long wait. I will keep everyone posted as the firs bulk order is on the way. We will figure something out. Maybe I will hear from someone yet this week.

J
I would love the set with half lime yellow and blue. I have some images in my mind.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
These look very nice, I would love to get a set. 1/3 of my lights are out. Any plans to do the seat heater lights?

Quick Reply: Prototype Dash lights for that common problem we all have