Progress Rear Sway Bar, IMMEDIATE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progress Rear Sway Bar, IMMEDIATE HELP!

Hey guys, I'm sure you heard of the facts on how much stress this bar does compared to the OEM sway bar.

Well... I was putting on my SS' today, and my passenger side sub frame[is it called?] is now supposedly broken due to the sway bar. Where do I go into fixing this? How much will it cost approx?

If you need more details, I'll consult the shop.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, more details. And some pics would help. Theres not a subframe back there if I remember right. Some folks have experienced broken sway bar links, but most are problem-free. I've had my Progress RSB on my car for over a year and haven't had any problems. I just recently inspected mine, and didn't see anything wrong. Got mine set on stiffest setting. Have you been taking turns hard??
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah he said it was the end link or something. It's what connects the sway bar to the car. I also have mine on the stiffest setting, installed it probably about a two years ago. I read something similar months ago and I inspected my car too. I guess it just happened recently, and I don't corner hard at all.

No pictures yet since, my car is at the shop. My mechanic did a rough estimate and said the link should cost about 20-30 since it's so small. He's going to call acura tomorrow, and HOPEFULLY it will cost around that much..
Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
There have been a few of both - end-links and sub-frame - break. All had an RSB as far as I recall.

The sub-frame breaks where the RSB Bushing D-Bracket connects to the sub-frame. Most (not all) were Comptech RSB with Energy Suspension bushings.

Search for threads/pics.

It's pretty rare I think. Most people don't seem to have a problem.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by ballerjai
Yeah he said it was the end link or something. It's what connects the sway bar to the car. I also have mine on the stiffest setting, installed it probably about a two years ago. I read something similar months ago and I inspected my car too. I guess it just happened recently, and I don't corner hard at all.

No pictures yet since, my car is at the shop. My mechanic did a rough estimate and said the link should cost about 20-30 since it's so small. He's going to call acura tomorrow, and HOPEFULLY it will cost around that much..
Endlinks are no big deal, they're cheap and you can replace with the tougher Moog links. As for stress, I can't find the numbers but this bar on the stiff setting is something like 400% stiffer than the OEM auto trans bar. Hard cornering doesn't put as much stress as entering gutters or driveways at an angle, or hitting a pothole with just one side of the car.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Endlinks are no big deal, they're cheap and you can replace with the tougher Moog links. As for stress, I can't find the numbers but this bar on the stiff setting is something like 400% stiffer than the OEM auto trans bar. Hard cornering doesn't put as much stress as entering gutters or driveways at an angle, or hitting a pothole with just one side of the car.

Hey IHC. I have an 05 auto tl that I'll be putting moog endlinks and the progress rsb on tonight! Do you think I should use the softer setting on the rsb (the forward hole if i remember correctly) to avoid damage to my rear sub frame? Personally I don't want to have to replace/repair that too. I wasn't planning on doing the endlinks until my buddy stripped one of the bolts this past weekend when starting to work on it....I was not happy!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Soft setting (the hole toward the end) for sure. It will give you better balance and reduce the chances of subframe damage.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Soft setting (the hole toward the end) for sure. It will give you better balance and reduce the chances of subframe damage.

I guess the hole towards the front of the car anyways. Thanks for your input on this. You are more than appreciated on these forums IHC!