Power Steering Warble Noise - 3 new pumps already

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Power Steering Warble Noise - 3 new pumps already

This sound is pretty much impossible to describe. A warble is what the service manager described it as during a ride-a-long so we'll go with that.

I have a 6MT.

I have had three power steering pumps in this car and now I'm well out of warranty and the noise has returned. Last pump was replaced about 6-9 months ago (at most).

You can only hear it when you very first start moving and while under a moderate turn. So, think about when you are in a parking space. You have to back out of that space and then turn the wheel and go forward. When you start going forward you will hear this "warble" sound. It's not that it is really loud, clunky, or anything that sounds damaging, but it is very unimpressive for such a nice car.

That's how it starts. One time the only thing service department did was replace a "ring" may have even called it an O-ring near the pump or something like that (sorry for the ignorance here) and that took car of it for about 6,000 miles.

Eventually the pump seems to fully lose all pressure. I can tell because if I am driving about 45MPH and I come to a stop and then make a left into my neighborhood, the power steering becomes difficult to turn. Some time after I start noticing this, I will essentially lose all power steering during these brake and turn.

If, however, while stopping and while turning the wheel, I also hit the accelerator and hold in the clutch, I get full responsiveness from power steering again. Acura in the past has tested the pump and found pressure to be low and so far has replaced these under warranty, but that it gone now.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Is a power steering pump easy to replace? I can do brake pads, rotors, bleeds and other relatively simple stuff and I'm certain not afraid of trying, but wanted to know if it is something that is considered easy or not.

Do they sell an "upgraded" power steering pump or one that might not fail as easy as these seem to?

Should I be looking into some other kind of cause for these pump failures?

Thanks as always!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Have you checked the fluid to see if it's aerated when it's acting up?

The problem could be in the rack too. It's so unlikely that you could be going on 4 bad pumps. The only possible thing I can think of is they don't flush the system each time one goes bad and the debris left behind is killing the new pumps.

This warble, it's not a shudder, you can't feel it when you turn the wheel when stationary?

I would check the hoses going to the pump. You may have an air leak from a bad surface on the o-ring area and by removing and replacing the hose it fixes the problem temporarily. I always thought this would produce a leak but I learned from my own that it does not always.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I am driving about 45MPH and I come to a stop and then make a left into my neighborhood, the power steering becomes difficult to turn. Some time after I start noticing this, I will essentially lose all power steering during these brake and turn.
this is happening to me! everytime I slow down and turn, my power steering seems to pause and the wheel is very tough to turn. not good when my gf is driving the car! this only happened after my o-ring was replaced by acura!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Man, that stinks! Sounds very similar. The tough to turn part is dangerous! I have had a number of time when I have had to "muscle" the wheel in order to make a turn so I can understand how that must be for your gf.

Is your car a manual or automatic transmission?

I looked in the service manual and there are a handful of o-rings to the power steering pump. Not sure which one is the culprit.

Not sure if this is true and hopefully someone can give us a suggestion, but it seems like pressure is bring lost at this o-ring. Either the pump then goes bad eventually or just tests bad because it doesn't hold pressure.

If you're under warranty, have them fix it immediately. It only gets worse with time. If you're me, I need to learn how to fix it myself. -=O) Even if you aren't in warranty, the replacement of that o-ring should be so definitely get them to fix it. Of course if your experience is like mine, it will show up again in 3,000-9,000 miles or so.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Anyone know which o-ring is likely the culprit here?

Then, anyone have part number for both the power steering pump and/or this o-ring?

I think I'm going to do this myself, but I'd like to order the parts in advance and mess with it some first.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I don't have the numbers but I'm sure someone else will help.

You may try having someone turn the wheel while the car is stopped with the hood up and cover off and see if the PS pump stops turning. It's possible the belt could slip when it's under load.

If you do the pump yourself it's very important to get all of the old fluid out in case there's any metal in there. A lot of times the rack is done with the pump if there was a massive failure.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you guys ned to make sure your cars were fixed on the Recall- to install a new ps hose for bad oring and connector--fire hazard!

call dealer or acura 1-800-382-2238x5 and ask if it was done- need cars VIN for either place

I remember a prob with speed sensative steering units (Im gen2 and not a gen3 expert)

oddly enough~ - I read about using seafoam when a pump is changed- especialy multiple failure- to clean the crud out of the rack- then a few flushes to get seafoam residue and rest of crud out- then a final fill and enjoy

PS fluid is 60k/3 years between changes
Old 08-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there has to be a modulator for the ps speed unit- look in TSB section for info on that
It would be a logical step in diagnosing

the orings for each hose at the pump are always suspect
Also ck the hose/fittings to the ps res for leaks, as those have been off several times now

a part replaced under warranty carries its own 12 month warranty on most parts= dont give up because the car warranty is up- any problem in progress can be grandfathered in

call corp 800 and report the problem as a safety issue the dealer cant fix
Cars losing steering!!!- is that worse than sudden accelleration??
Old 08-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Perfect advice 01tl4tl. I'm meeting with the service manager on Monday as I'm well within the 12 month part replacement warranty.

I agree, loss of steering is worse than sudden acceleration though I've never experienced that, seems like you could always e-brake, neutral, or turn off the car. I almost slammed some people yesterday when I had to u-turn after braking because the police had a street blocked off due to a concert. Car got about 120 degrees and did not want to turn any further until I hit the clutch and pressed the gas pedal to get some RPMs. Seriously almost hit some people.

Thanks for the advice. Definitely appreciate it!
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Instructor

hey zookie, did you ever fix your problem?

my car is a manual, and it is definitely getting worse over time. it's back at the dealership again to get looked at, and they still say it's the powersteering pump going bad. but because you have the exact same problem as i do, i really don't want to get a new pump and then run into the same problem all over again. there has to be a different culprit somewhere... i'm just so frustrated and lost with this issue
Old 08-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Yup, good point for everyone on this forum to remember: Acura dealer "fixes" (out of warranty) generally carry a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Go get it fixed (again) for free and it resets your problem-specific warranty for another yr. Would rather have it right to begin with, but this helps. If they throw enough darts to fix the problem, eventually (one hopes) it'll be good-to-go long-term...

Last edited by Pat04TL; 08-19-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Instructor

hondeducation,

I stopped by the dealership for an oil change and talked to the service manager before I went over. They took a look and the pump does need replaced again. We talked about this being the thrid one and he a agrees that there could possibly be something else, but that they are fully flushing the system each time they replace the pump and as we know they use refurbished pumps for each replacement and that it is possible we are just getting bad pumps.

They are replacing the pump under the 12 month warranty as soon as I return from vacation but if it happens again I will be pressing for a new pump, not a refurb. He said they will check everything they can to make sure no other causes present themselves but at this time all they can do is replace the pump for free.

Still seems strange though because I know that, once, the only thing they replaced was one of the many o-rings in the pump and that took care of it just as long as replacing the entire pump.

Kind of at a loss. It is equally frustrating to me as well, but I am happy that they are trying to take care of me by replacing under warranty and giving me a loaner car for the day so it is really only a 30 minute drive (which I love to do) that I'm out. Still, I do wish we could find the cause and resolve the problem.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Instructor

thanks zookie. i guess you and i experienced bad pumps instead of just the o-ring issue. i went ahead and ordered a refurb'd oem pump from o'rileys for like $90 after core exchange. the dealer wanted $300 for the pump and $150 labor!! i just hope my pump doesn't go bad again