Power steering noise and hard turning / Air Bubbles inside reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering noise and hard turning / Air Bubbles inside reservoir

Hey guys. I have an issue with the power steering whine / at times really hard to turn. I recently had an engine swap done due to blown gasket on the old engine. everything is running fine except the power steering issue

When i first got it back, I noticed that the power steering fluid was running low and the outside of reservoir seemed to be wet (from the PS fluid). Didn't think much of it and got two bottles of honda PS fluid from dealer.

I read up on how to do the flush. I filled up the PS fluid to the upper level and started to turn the wheel from left to right and right to left a couple of times. I went back to check the PS fluid level in reservoir and sure enough more fluid came out of the top of reservoir.

Searched about this issue and found out about the O-Ring fix. I did that yesterday and something interesting to note, This time i had my car on a jack and after changing the O ring and filling up the PS fluid when I went to turn the wheel from side to side it was very quiet, no noise at all. The fluid level in reservoir went down a bit but no leaking through the cap. I topped it again and did the turn and once again no noise and this time fluid level stayed the same.
I figured this must have fixed it. However, once the car was off the jack and i tried turning, the same whining noise came back. So the only fix from the O-Ring was that the PS fluid is not over leaking from the cap anymore. However there are still air bubbles inside the reservoir and car still makes the same noise.

Just to be sure, when i am turning the wheel from side to side, should i have kept the reservoir cap OFF or on the reservoir? because i kept it ON the reservoir . Could that be why the air is not escaping from the hose?

EDIT: one more thing to note: The whining noise is more noticeable when the car is cold. However the noise is still there when the car warms up, just not as much

Please help me from where to go next. I tried searching but I am stuck now.

Thank you! you guys are amazing

Last edited by mominn8266; 08-19-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...-scans-841134/

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...ne-fix-754586/
Old 08-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Cruisin'

Yup read through both of those thread and since there is no more leaking of the PS fluid and already done the O-Ring replacement, Im not sure where to go from here.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
Did you rebuild your PS pump?

Also cap should be open when turning lock to lock
Old 08-19-2015, 08:59 AM
Cruisin'

I will try leaving the cap open when turning lock to lock and see if that helps.

No i have not rebuilt the PS pump. Would that help even though there is no more leaking of fluid?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:31 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by mominn8266
I will try leaving the cap open when turning lock to lock and see if that helps.

No i have not rebuilt the PS pump. Would that help even though there is no more leaking of fluid?
You rebuild the PS pump not for leaks outside the whole PS loop (losing fluid) but inside the pump itself (not losing fluid, but it's going places it should go at the wrong moment). Think of it as a heart that's beating irregularly. You're not bleeding everywhere on the floor but you sure ain't feeling well!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:39 AM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
FYI, my O-Ring was changed when the recall was made and about 2 years ago I had the same symptoms as OP. Because I didnt know my PS was fixed, i bought another o-ring and replaced only to realize the o-ring already in place was orange. Well i replaced it anyways, and lucky for me, it fixed the issue. I had no more air bubbles coming from reservoir and no more overflows, no more whining and my steering was stiffer, which was a good thing to compare how it was before. Not sure if the O-Ring was crushed or not seated correctly but its easy to check.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah when i was changing the O-Ring, the original O-ring was not damaged and was also orange color. I went ahead and replaced it anyway hoping it would fix the issue.

I am going to try turning lock to lock with the reservoir cap OFF and see if that releases the air.

If not, I am going to have to find someone in south houston area that may be able to do the power steering pump rebuild as I can barely change the tires by myself