Power steering flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:31 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering flush

I'll post this here because the solution involved my 2006 TL. Recently I took my wife's 2000 Honda CRV for service at 40,000 miles. I had the 36K service even though it had the same thing about 15 month before. I like to make sure my wife;s car has no problems, so it 's over maintained.

The local Honda dealer did the service BUT also recommended a power steering flush. I told them I'd pass on that for this time.

I bought a can of Honda power steering fluid from the parts dept. on my way out.

At home I sucked out some of the power steering fluid from my wife's CRV. Sure enough it was darker at 40,000 miles than the new fluid, bu it still liooked fine, just darker that the new fluid.

What next? Well on to my NEW 2006 ACURA TL WHICH AT THE TIME HAD 1,500 MILES ON THE ODOMETER. Well, its power steering fluid had already darkened a little comparedd with the Honda fluid in the new can. So I guess 40,000 miles doesn't hurt much and fluid starts to darken from the get-go.

I scoured this site, Edmunds, Acura and Honda sites as well as all my owner's and services manuals on our Acura and Honda. NO MENTION OF A NEED TO CHANGE THE POWER STEERING FLUID, EVER. I did find service info on how to change it though.

Then, I found elewhere on this site an entry on page 3 of the Acura ServiceNews for Feb. 2006 stating that flush systems are "A Big Taboo" and "American Honda strongly recommends you avoid using them on any Acura vehicle."

Isn't this site great!
Old 06-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smart move...

What dealer was trying to talk you into is known as an "upsell". It's a revenue generator for the dealer and nothing more.

I've had that tried on me too on another vehicle I own. The last time time it was in for service the advisor told me they checked my power steering fluid and it looked "nasty" (a very technical term indeed) and tried to sell me a flush. I said no thanks too.

Now I usually check my vehicle fluid levels regularily and this remark got my curiosity up, so I went and checked the power steering fluid level. Guess what? The fluid level wasn't even showing on the dip stick. Considering I have no leaks where did the fluid go to? Answer: into the dealers disposal barrel.

This low level would have potentially resulted in some pump noise and stiff steering from the low level. Getting the picture here? Oh, they warned me I might have a problem, I need to take it in for service! I got out my bottle of power steering fluid and restored the level to where it belonged. Needless to say I won't be going back to that dealer any time soon.

I'd be wary of any dealer pushing maintenance services on anything that isn't covered in the owners manual, or far more frequently than the manual says.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
The only flush they actually recommend is the brake fluid flush. Never do the p/s or A/T flush, though.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I've done p/s and a/t flushes on lots of cars, just never on an Acura. Wouldnt think one was needed unless something was seriously wrong with the system and the fluid was compromised.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:12 PM
RickRoush03

i didnt do a flush but rather a change on my 2002 tl-s with 124k on the clock. i am the second owner so not sure when it was done since the power steering pump was replaced but all i did was get 5 bottle of the PS fluid, suck out the resivour, fill it back up, start the car for 5sec, turn off, rinse and repeat. didnt notice any big hoopla, but its been done so it should only help i'd assume. took me 30min and like $20
Old 06-12-2006, 10:20 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Yep...
I just drain and fill the reservoir every oil change... I "should" never have to worry about. Never had a steering problem on any other cars I've owned doing this...
Old 12-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Instructor

How often should you change (flush) or add power steering fluid? Not sure how to check how much is in there. I have an 05 with 40,000miles Thanks
Old 12-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Under plastic compartment cover; don't flush...

Originally Posted by KatyTL
How often should you change (flush) or add power steering fluid? Not sure how to check how much is in there...
Don't bother with flushing the steering fluid- it's not recommended by Acura.

You can check the power steering fluid level by pulling up the plastic engine compartment cover on the passenger side of the car to access a couple of different semi-transparent reservoirs underneath. There are lines on the outside of the reservoirs showing the fluid level, so you won't need to open the reservoirs except to add fluid if necessary. It's all in the owner's manual from about page 200 onwards.
Check every month or so unless car sounds/feels wrong (groaning, grinding, squealing, change in steering feel, etc. with engine on-- then check immediately...).
Old 12-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
what the taboo thingy meant was that flushing you system, that means chemicals other than the fluids are induced to clean which can harm componets. By what you sated in the first post, is sounds like you sucked it out and put new fluid in, no chemcials to clean.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
THREAD RESURRECTION.

I was considering doing a P/S Flush TOMORROW! Thank gosh for the search button. Anyways, I've had a really, really, really "loose" steering wheel - some members recommended that I do a power steering flush, but from the read, seems that it isn't a good idea. BUT what the hell am I left to do to fix the problem? I get CRAZY torque steer since the wheel makes me feel like I'm driving a camry - for example.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3
THREAD RESURRECTION.

I was considering doing a P/S Flush TOMORROW! Thank gosh for the search button. Anyways, I've had a really, really, really "loose" steering wheel - some members recommended that I do a power steering flush, but from the read, seems that it isn't a good idea. BUT what the hell am I left to do to fix the problem? I get CRAZY torque steer since the wheel makes me feel like I'm driving a camry - for example.
I responded in your thread on the loose steering. Usually when a powersteering fluid is "worn out" it results in harder steering. New fluid usually makes it easier to turn assuming the old stuff was used up.

I like Kennedy's advice. Do a drain and fill of the powersteering reservior with every oil change and you will always have good fluid. Not only that but you're getting rid of some of the contaminate load. 60K is pushing it on a dino oil. Our systems run pretty hot, putting your hand on the powersteering cooler in front of the radiator will result in burns. I'm going synthetic in the next week or two.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Where can I get a small baster to suck the fluid out? Auto store or Housewares?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:41 PM
3rd Gear

P/S A/T Brake "Flush"

Fluids are the life blood of your car - especially anything Honda. Use ONLY recommended fluids - nothing thicker or lighter. "Racing" Fluids are for Race Cars - you didn't buy a Race Car. Rather - if you drive like you have a Race Car, that just means you really need to maintain your fluids more frequently, and parts like brakes, bearings, tires are a common replacement item for you.

"CHANGE" the Power Steering Fluid - it's a lubricant for the pump and condensation gets in diminishing its effectiveness. You should never FLUSH this system if you are changing the fluid as you should.

"CHANGE" the AT Fluid - the transmission gets HOT and breaks down the viscous fluids over time. Make sure you get the FILTER changed too (every 30k or 4 years as far as I go). Flushing should only be done in rare cases - like you buy a used car that has never had the fluid changed - then you should run new fluid through, empty, and refill after the flush.

"CHANGE" the brake fluid every 2 years - heat and moisture damage the fluid and can lead to premature Caliper Failure, degraded Brake Lines, or in other words $$$$ - you can do this yourself if you have some skill, otherwise take it in.

It's not a "gimic" to follow the Acura recommended service intervals related to fluid changes - I owned a 1987 Acura Integra LS with 276,000 miles on it when I sold it - didn't have ANY issues with these systems, didn't leak, or burn a drop of ANY fluid. The car was driven by a local kid for 3-4 years after I sold it... easily over 300k...

TRUST - you can afford to replace these fluids if you are driving a TL.