Possible lifter problem & Ticking sound during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible lifter problem & Ticking sound during acceleration

Last year I purchased a 04 automatic with 145k miles. I immediately took it to have an used car inspection and the mechanic informed me everything was good other than the usual fluid changes and what not. The car drove fine for the next 10 months and 2 months ago I begun to hear a creaking noise when putting the car in gear. Whenever I change from park to reverse or reverse to drive it makes a creaking noise which sounds to be coming from the transmission. Also in the past month whenever I accelerate and let off the throttle there is a loud bang and jerk which feels to be coming from the transmission as well. Has anyone had this problem or know what it could be? Sorry to be so vague, it's kind of a hard things to describe. Thanks
Old 07-01-2016, 08:04 AM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You're not vague, but fairly descriptive.

Your symptoms appear to be engine mount or transaxle mount related. I would start by inspecting the rubber at all these mount points and make a list of what needs replacement. Also, I would inspect your front suspension rubber bushings, just to make sure and gain what condition those are in as well.

You should have one engine mount on passenger-side fender side. Another vehicle front, near cooling fans/radiator area. Vehicle rear mount, lower-center firewall area. Finally, all the transaxle related mounts on the driver-side fender area, below the intake air filter box. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
sounds like a bad engine mount and transmission mounts! Also sounds like your axles may be worn and causing some excessive play as well. Also check out all your suspension bushings and rubber components!