Parasitic Draw, Problem found? Need Fix/Solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Parasitic Draw, Problem found? Need Fix/Solution

Hi guys. This is for 2008 TL with 130K miles. Recently, my battery kept going dead overnight or leaving it unattended for long hours. I used multi-meter method to find the parasitic draw because I knew it wasn't the battery or alternator (recently swapped out). After pulling out 2 fuses the MG Clutch Relay (7.5A) and Back UP, ACC fuse (40A), my current (amp) returns to 0, so I know the problem lies in AC Compressor/MG clutch relay get stuck. I don't know what's the solution or fix to this problem? I need help. I tried to swap the 7.5A fuse out with a working one, but that doesn't fix the problem. I hear a click near the AC compressor everytime I put 7.5A fuse in the Fuse Box, which means the valve opens when the fuse is connected. How do I fix this? Is there a relay somewhere I need to swap out? Is it a grounding issue?

Here are the symptoms I get. 1) Battery is dead overnight. 2) Cabin has "hissing" sound, and it feel cool or something is blowing into the vent w/o having AC on. This is probably AC Compressor stuck open and freon is releasing constantly. 3) When I was jumping the battery and let the car running so it can recharge the battery, intermittently it would purge/shoot air or a mist (location is around or below the alternator). This is probably the AC compressor purge valve open/close. 4) There is a click at the AC compressor everytime I connect 7.5A fuse or close the circuit.

Also, I haven't figure out the 40A BackUP, ACC fuse yet, but will try what other suggested on forums, like HFL disconnect, checking under dash fuses. My main concern is the MG clutch relay fuse, location, fix, since it is releasing freon and stuck open.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
A/C Compressor may be on its way out.. either that or the relay

fairly common drain problem on this car:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...ng-try-928951/

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...ometer-941998/

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...+battery+drain
The following users liked this post:
Hazsun (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Advanced

Where is the exact location of the MG clutch relay? Is that the 7.5A fuse or is it locating somewhere else? I kept reading about it but it shows RL model and the part# is not correct part with '08 TL? My AC still blows cold air, so it couldn't be AC compressor, maybe?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Nvm, I found the location using service manual and I called acura/honda to verify part#. Also, I looked at the 40A fuse that is somehow connected to 7.5A fuse, so hopefully after switching out the MG clutch relay, it will fix both issue.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:31 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Please Report back if it does solve the problem, it could help the community!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
Please Report back if it does solve the problem, it could help the community!
Fixed the Problem. It was the AC Compressor MG Clutch Relay. I went and bought it at the dealer with the updated part#, then swapped it out. Afterward, I checked for the parasitic draw, and it went down to 0.2A (probably from alarm, HFL, or something still running).
Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the update!!!