Paint - Orange peel/Ripple

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint - Orange peel/Ripple

Okay, I just picked up my 05 NBP TL this friday after work <<< 2 days ago. So far I really love my car, but yesterday coming out of Cracker Barrel w/ a friend he mentioned it almost looked like my car had been repainted. I said..I doubt it it only has 4 miles on it. But after bringing it to my attention the orange peel effect or ripple effect of the clearcoat is really outrageous. Is this normal?? this is my first black car so maybe I'm over analyzing, but it really seems to almost dull the sheen of the paint.

I assume this is the clearcoat, but not sure maybe a defect. Does anyone else have an issue with this? Can the dealer use a high speed buffer and smooth the paint?

Any help or experience would be appreciated ...thanks in advance.

BTW, when I inspected the car i didnt really notice it, I was excited. But i did notice on the rear bumper some debris...almost like a cpl of grains of sand under the clearcoat in one spot, they made a voucher and noted this in case I have a problem in the future or want it(bumper) repainted.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Racer

sorry to hear about your paint, but if u run a search ull see that the paint on our cars , to put it nicely, suck A$$!
Old 07-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Racer

yes, buffing, better yet, wet sanding (in the hands of a professional) can do wonders for the orangepeel on your car, i would suggest that but bear in mind that it will reduce the amount of protective clear coat on your paint
Old 07-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Advanced

I did searche and did find alot of not too good things about the paint. Chips, fades, cracking etc. I cant wait....sigh.

The orange peel look is just grabbing my eye, I havent even washed the car yet. Yesterday I had to wipe w a liquid detailer literally gobs of crap on my car, almost like a grease.

It was either somethin the detailer used on the car or trim..or tire shine stuff. I'm hoping after I wash it I wont notice it as much LOL.

I would never try to do any buffing other than w/ my orbital buffer. Ill leave high speed and wet sanding??? to the professionals.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Racer

orbital (do it yourself) buffing is not going to help your orangepeel, the only way to get that orangepeel is a repaint, or highspeed buff, or wetsanding

good luck again
Old 08-01-2005, 09:35 PM
5th Gear

Better to just relax and live with it. Very often with orange peel, the cure leaves you in worse shape than before. Wet-sanding is how they get those glassy-smooth show-quality paint jobs but if you have it wet-sanded you'll need to hope that the clearcoat is quite thick. If you sand through the clear coat, well, the plot will really thicken!