P0741 Update Issue got worse :(

Old 11-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question P0741 Update Issue got worse :(

Hi Guys,

I posted a question before about the code P0741 I was getting. I took it to a shop and really quickly they said i needed to have the tranny rebuilt close to 3700 to fix.
I was going to take it to AAMCO but just let the car sit a bit.

to my surprise the light went away and the car was driving fine. While all i did was going on I ordered a replacment solenoid The "black" connector one. I swapped it out, testing the resistance and all seemed fine. @Spamcop01 suggested a youtube video to measure the resistance on the solenoids all passed spec.

In getting to the "black" connector solenoid I had to remove the "brown" connector one, did that cleaned it with brake cleaner cleaned the screens. I installed everything back np

In testing driving the car. The car struggles to get out of first gear, RPMs start to rev up to 5-7000, and at one point the car didn't even want to go. I had to turn the car off wait a bit and then it would shift out of 1st. Thankfully i just tested this around my house, but any idea why now this problem escalated so much by just changing those solenoids?

I was thinking getting a replacement brown solenoid installing that makeing sure both are clean, and then replacement the transmission fluid

any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What year TL., type S or base. How many miles. Trans fluid, dirty,clean, burnt ? Any prior maint. Records or such?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by svtmedic
What year TL., type S or base. How many miles. Trans fluid, dirty,clean, burnt ? Any prior maint. Records or such?
Hi Svtmedic,

Its a 2005 Acura TL Base w/ Navi
Has around 156k miles on it.

The one shop that looked at it said the trany fluid was dirty. So I was going to replace the fluid this coming week and then inspect the fluid for any debris.
Since I've owned the car from day 1 i've always done my maintenance w/ Acura and did the routine maintenance per their suggestions. so oil changes, transmisison flushes, etc.

The only thing I did on my own was the timing belt and water pump and that was a few years ago
Old 11-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Did you "flush" the transmission or did you have the fluid drained and refilled? I ask because flushes, as in those typically performed by shops with a machine, are noted for damaging transmissions. Also, did you have genuine Honda DW-1 ATF used or one of those Universal ATF products?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Those were going to be my second questions which were great questions by the poster. Acura Honda recommend oil changes I'm sorry transmission fluid changes at 60000 and then every 30,000 following. What concerns me is if all maintenance was done and you've owned the car from day one then it's a good possibility that the Honda ZT 1 is in the car for fluid transmission The newer updated transmission fluid is dw1, try changing the fluid by way of drain and fill and see if that helps. As your fluid is burnt and very dark it appears that either there is a transmission problem and or the fluid was not changed regularly

Last edited by svtmedic; 11-27-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Did you "flush" the transmission or did you have the fluid drained and refilled? I ask because flushes, as in those typically performed by shops with a machine, are noted for damaging transmissions. Also, did you have genuine Honda DW-1 ATF used or one of those Universal ATF products?
Thanks for the reply horseshoez,

If the dealer recommended a flush as part of maintenance I would go along w/ what they recommended
But if I recall the last time it was just a re-fill and it was don w/ the original Honda DW-1 ATF fluid
Old 11-27-2017, 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks so much Guys,

I'm going to order 3QT of the honda DW-1 ATF and give that a shot
and let you know what ends up happening

Do I have to also replace the transmission filter?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Instructor

In your particular car you do have a transmission filter but they are pitas to change. The newer model 6 or sorry 7 and 8 actually do not have filters they have the screen in the transmission from what I understand. Also be advised that day 04 S500 sixes all had the same transmission problems the Transmissions did not get better till 07.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
I sure as heck would,

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...f-pipe-06-scat

I'd also get 4 instead of 3 quarts, may need a little more than 3.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:30 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks everyone for the input. I will take all your suggestion. I've ordered what i need.
I will keep you all posted if this helps the problem

appreciate everyone's time

-Sergio
Old 11-30-2017, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

I got the P0741 code as well about two weeks ago. It was odd cause my '07 TL-S still drove the same it did, as in I experienced none of the same issues you experienced with the revs climbing.
I did a 3x3 flush because I didn't know if the fluid was ever changed as I bought the car with 146k and its currently at 152k.
I cleared the code after the flush and so far after driving about 500 more miles no codes after reappeared and it's driving the same it was. I actually saw an increase in 2-3 avg. mpg but I'm not sure that's related.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:41 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got this dreaded code 2 months ago replaced the solenoid myself code left came back left again and over a month later, yesterday it came up again. what gives? i did a 3x3 flush over the summer before this issue with tranny oil from acura, I feel my cars not gonna go on so long and 3500 for a rebuilt tranny seems outrageous
Old 12-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Cruisin'

Finally giving up :-(

Guys,

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Just to give an update.

I change out the 2 solenoids
replaced the transmission filter
replace tranny fluid 3quarts

I start the car and already you hear the transmission make a hissing sound, never heard that before issues started
back car out of the driveway no issues. As soon as i put it into drive. THe car just struggles to get into first.

I did several loops around my street and it just gets stuck on gears and revs high.

On my last attempt, I was rolling through a stop and the car just didn't even want to move anymore. turned the car off, and tried a few times and then kicked into gear and was able to park back in my drive way.

Since I can't safely drive this car, I'm thinking maybe going w/ AAMCO and see if they can look at it just so I have a 2nd opinion, but it seems clear the transmission is shot

Not sure what else to test.

I saw somoene selling a transmission on facebook but then the issue becomes finding someone who would even install for me

any suggestions?

I'm just thinking throwing the car on the forums/ facebook, and craigslist and see if there anyone that would want it and is good w/ cars who can in turn fix it

Really sucks I've had the car 12 years and its been a great car would be hard to part with it.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 139 Posts
That whine you are hearing is your torque converter starving for fluid. At this point, you either get it rebuilt or find an accord transmission to swap in.
I'm telling you, buying solenoids, and replacing filters isnt going to solve anything. except make you spend money.
The problem is an internal hydraulic issue. No solenoids will fix that.

Your torque converter is burned and your clutch packs are gone.
Just know, the colder it gets, the problem will be more pronounced.

Depending where you live. I'd probably get it rebuilt and then just trade it in.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
Depending where you live. I'd probably get it rebuilt and then just trade it in.
Either that or go for the AV6 tranny swap.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Either that or go for the AV6 tranny swap.
That would be the best bet.
Having a transmission rebuilt doesnt guarantee it will last you years. Just make sure a good warranty is offered by the shop taking care of this task.

Swapping in a used trans would be better but you dont know the condition of the internals. Just dont forget to replace the torque converter.
Then put her up for sale or trade it in.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
That would be the best bet.
Having a transmission rebuilt doesnt guarantee it will last you years. Just make sure a good warranty is offered by the shop taking care of this task.

Swapping in a used trans would be better but you dont know the condition of the internals. Just dont forget to replace the torque converter.
Then put her up for sale or trade it in.
@horseshoez and @flyromeo3, I appreciate the feedback. I was trying anything to try to fix myself, hoping to inevitable. But you guys are right I'm just gonna have to shope around the rebuild or tranny swap. The plan at this point is see how I can minimize the spend to get it functional so I can trade-in and/or sell privately. I wanted to hold out till June of next year but looks like i'll have get something sooner :-/

I appreciate everyone's help here. this is an awesome commuity
Old 12-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sergio Restrepo
@horseshoez and @flyromeo3, I appreciate the feedback. I was trying anything to try to fix myself, hoping to inevitable. But you guys are right I'm just gonna have to shope around the rebuild or tranny swap. The plan at this point is see how I can minimize the spend to get it functional so I can trade-in and/or sell privately. I wanted to hold out till June of next year but looks like i'll have get something sooner :-/

I appreciate everyone's help here. this is an awesome commuity
I know how hard this decision is. I was there. I let the car sit in my driveway for 3 months while I thought of my next step.
Financially it made sense to rebuild it but I also went with the mind set I was going to trade it in afterwards.
A year later I ended up doing that. As I was driving to the dealership it started to slip like crazy. Fortunately, no check engine light came on so I got extremely lucky and got a good price for my trade in.

I drive a lot and the last thing I needed was to break down somewhere in the middle of West Virginia, Ohio or Indiana being 700+ miles away from home.
So I picked up an accord sport 6MT.

The TL is a solid car but the same cannot be said for its auto transmissions. This is my 3rd honda thats developed trans issues and I will never purchase another auto honda again.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
when I was 16 or 17, I fucked up my first cars auto tranny...maybe why the sellers were selling....
but anyway; from that day on....I would never buy automatics, EVER. All of my cars since that white 1989 Mazda MX-6 have been all three pedals!

I had learned that repairing or replacing automatic transmissions cost at least $2k.
while a clutch can be replaced for as little as $500
The following users liked this post:
horseshoez (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Latent car nut

I'm kind of in the same boat; other than our family minivans (which were necessary and unavailable with a manual transmission), the only two cars I've ever purchased with automatic transmissions were my 1966 Plymouth Valiant 200 (learned to drive a stick when I owned the Valiant) with the venerable 225 Slant-Six engine and my 2001 Honda Accord which I needed to use as my daughter's first car (she's unable to drive a stick because she suffered a stroke at birth and is partially paralyzed on her left side).
Old 12-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
I say it's a tossup. I've had many, many A/T's and only one let go, a Jeep GC V-8. Now the manual, have had
problems in various cars with pilot bearing, clutch discs, pressure plate, master cylinder, slave cylinder,
mechanical linkage break, syncros, bearings, shift bushings.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:15 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Turbonut
I say it's a tossup. I've had many, many A/T's and only one let go, a Jeep GC V-8. Now the manual, have had
problems in various cars with pilot bearing, clutch discs, pressure plate, master cylinder, slave cylinder,
mechanical linkage break, syncros, bearings, shift bushings.
Yikes; what were you driving, a Trabant?
Old 12-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Yikes; what were you driving, a Trabant?
Various cars. To name a few:
RX7 Turbo, BB Chevy's, Fiesta, TransAm, Fiero, and going back a long time ago, a Yenko Chevelle.

Search this Thread