Noise when turning/accelerating with vsa on

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:52 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise when turning/accelerating with vsa on

Hello all, I'm a long time reader (I diagnosed and changed my tranny gear shift sensors with your guide), but this is my first post.

On a 3Rd gen (2006) Acura TL, with automatic transmission, I am hearing a grinding/popping noise from the right wheel well when turning to the left. It sounds alot like plastic popping. I have read several posts related to this, most of which sounds like either a cv joint/axel or power steering hose problem. There are a couple things I would like to run by you all:

1: I placed the car on stands, took off the passenger wheel, and reproduced the problem by turning the wheel almost all the way to the left, releasing the break, and pressing the accelerator. Interestingly, the rotor/axel (as far back in there as I could see) all stopped turning when the noise happened, and then resumed turning immediately afterwards.

2: If I turn off VSA, I can't reproduce the noise, and the rotor turns without interruption.

My question: Do you think that the cv joint/axel assembly need to be replaced, or is this another problem? If you think it is another problem, what do you think the problem is?

Accessory info: It is cold here (roughly 0-40° F). I didn't notice it in the summer, and i didn't notice it last winter. The transmission pressure sensors were changed last spring (it previously flet slugging when shifting; problem fixed now). Transmission fluid was changed as well with Honda DW1 (3x3). The fluid levels are still good. Currently 92,000 MI on vehicle. It does do this after the vehicle has warmed up and I have driven several miles. It only seems to do this when I'm on ice (or jacked up with no resistacne on the wheel), i.e. when it slips. When driving, it only seems to do it when turning to the left, and only on the right side. On jacks, it will do this without regard to how the wheels are turned, and it seems to affect both sides. I have limited knowledge of how the vsa system works, other than knowing that the breaks area applied independantly on each side. I cannot determine if the breaks are applying when this noise is made, and I can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:46 PM
4th Gear

Update

Today I removed the brake calipers from the rotor, and tried to reproduce the noise with vsa on. I was unable to, leading me to believe that it is just the anti-lock brakes. Oddly, the noise does not really sound like a normal AB application, but perhaps like a very light application. I'm going to assume that everything is fine and keep on driving!

If anyone has additional knowledge they would like to share, please feel free to.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
This isn't normal...sounds like the traction and/or stability control is kicking in when it should not be based on your description.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:33 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jackass
This isn't normal...sounds like the traction and/or stability control is kicking in when it should not be based on your description.
Thanks for your reply. I'll keep looking into it to see what else I can find.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:40 AM
10th Gear

I have this same issue, mine seems to be coming from the right side wheel-well as well except i have noticed it when i am turning right (not to say it doesn't happen when turning left also, i just havn't noticed it yet). I started noticing it right after I had some recent front end work done on the car, including a new front axle. Makes me a little suspicious....