Noise reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise reduction?

I am not experiencing any problems with road noise but was wondering if anyone has experimented with something like Dynamat for the purposes of reducing road noises. I have read about people using it to improve stereo 'performance' or to solve rattles but what about general sound deadening?

Or is this basically the same thing? Again, I am not having problem but have been wondering ...

Just a silly question on a Saturday afternoon after finishing a fantastic car wash. Now its time for my nap...

Old 04-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://store.yahoo.com/quietcoat/

On past cars I have removed the wheel liners and sprayed undercoat on the body, and on both sides of the wheel well liner, with good results.
I use the rubberized stuff (more expensive).

Tires also have a big impact on road noise, I plan on going with avons when the el-42's wear out.

I will likely get to the TL whan the weather is nice.

Brett
Old 04-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That product looks promising. You say you have tried this or was it something similar? As for the tires, I agree.

I am a touch skeptical though with claims up to 90% noise reduction. Also, I am not sure how you would paint this in areas that you could use Dynamat?

Were your results with what you used truly that good?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I tried was regular undercoating, not the stuff in the link.
I should order some of the stuff, it looks like its good, any thick goo will cut noise.

Besides the stink, you could slap on silicone sealant, as I said, any thick goo
will absorb noise, but the stuff in the link is designed to do so and might work better...

Brett
Old 04-10-2006, 09:42 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I had my rear seat out over the weekend to do the a-spec installation..and besides learning that I have a serious water leak back there...I applied a ton of dynamat sealant under the rear seat and seat back and in my trunk under the spare tire. Much quieter now, I plan on doing the rest of the trunk and doors next. I figured as long as I had the seats out it was time to do it or I'd be lazy and not want to take them out again.

I used the product from the forums here by Aznbo...in his thread called "want cleaner bass"...(you can search the audio forums for this thread if you want the details)..it's a dynamat type product but less expensive.

I ordered about 20 sq feet of edead v1se2 and 20 sq feet of the teklite e4 (for the trunk).

http://edesignaudio.com/category.php?type=damp

Should have enough left over to do the trunk and doors. There's also a spray version of this stuff from cascase audio products in a can...they do make a paintable / spray gun version of this stuff too but I just used a few layers of the sticky kind.

The wheel wells are important (this is not for that) ...but so is your trunk, doors, floors, ceiling...and believe it or not..your license plates (these are known rattle causers).

Old 04-10-2006, 09:58 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.premier-audio.com/Premier...icks_s/149.htm

Lot's of sites like this, they all say that sound deadening is as important as having decent amps in any car hoping to have a good stereo system.

It can also improve the stock / existing stereo system in any car.

Total cost for me to get enough edead to do much of my car was under $100 shipped.