NOISE from engine or fornt of car with accel.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Team AM #123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOISE from engine or fornt of car with accel.

has anyone hear like a clicking noise or something hitting against something when you go from 5mph to about 25mph and after that the noise is gone, or maybe its just my car

the noise started to occur as of lately

a few weeks ago i hit a massive pothole and pop a tire, maybe something is wrong with suspension now? (front passenger side)

or it could be the engine, i hear the same noise sometimes from older cars when they accel but much louder on those cars

i asked my friends if they could hear the noise and they said nothing, but i can hear it for sure

sometimes it isnt there but it always comes back

does anyone know what i am talking about?

feedbakcs please, thanx!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
i have the same thing. i cant rebember it doing that before...i asked one of the techs at the dealership he never heard of it (they dont know shit anyways). It could be the fans in front when they get turned on, some relay .... then again i really dont know i cant see any difference....

is you car 6MT or AT??
Old 07-01-2005, 02:34 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i cannot hear nothing in my car...
Old 07-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Team AM #123

i have AT, the noise is very low, you cant hear it music or other noise, only when its quiet outside, you can hear the noise

i know if i bring it to a dealer, they r just going to test my car out crazy and beat the shit out of it, i dont think its the fans, its liek a metal clicking noise, like the same noise when u flip a coin in the air, something like that
Old 07-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
What grade of fuel are you using?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Advanced

If it's a metallic clicking noise that sounds suspiciously similar to detonation or pinging, then most TLs out there do it and most people don't hear it. Mine sat at the dealer for a week while they ran all sorts of diagnostics on it. I did my own tests as I thought it was originally detonation. I used 4 different brands of fuel, all 91 octane and it did it across the board.

After escalating the issue to the regional service manager, I was given the answer that it is a "valve train noise, and at this time considered to be 'normal'".

Needless to say I wasn't too happy with that answer. I feel I've done my part by calling it to the attention of the dealership accompanied with a full page write-up of exactly how to duplicate the problem. It happens under hard acceleration, when the engine is "lugging", again very typical of detonation. I drove around with the service technician, service manager and regional service manager. They could hear it and the regional guy says he drives a TL on a daily basis and his does it MUCH worse...

We'll see how this all works out.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
This is why I questioned what grade of fuel was he using. Here in Virginia, we have 93 octane in all stations, so ping is not an issue. If you're limited to 91 or less, consider using a high quality fuel system cleaner (like Chevron) every 3 months or every oil change.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same exact thing on the minivan, it is coming from the front passenger side, when we get it fixed I will tell you what was wrong, it sounds like metal hitting metal right? It only seems to be there, or can only be heard, at low speeds in about the described range, from what it sounds like it is somewhat random, although it also seems to occur at shifting and acceleration, but again also occurs randomly.

I will ask my mom to use premium and see if that makes a difference. PINGING IS VERY BAD!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Team AM #123

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Same exact thing on the minivan, it is coming from the front passenger side, when we get it fixed I will tell you what was wrong, it sounds like metal hitting metal right? It only seems to be there, or can only be heard, at low speeds in about the described range, from what it sounds like it is somewhat random, although it also seems to occur at shifting and acceleration, but again also occurs randomly.

I will ask my mom to use premium and see if that makes a difference. PINGING IS VERY BAD!!!
u r on the DOT!

u r the closest to the problem is am having, occurs at low speeds only

i use 93 Shell oil only for my car
Old 07-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Advanced

I have two sounds. There is a sound right after starting, it comes from the front of the car. It is loud enough that people look around. The other when I leave work, driving out of the garage I hear a popping sound. Not constant just when making a turn. It will last for about a quarter mile and it's gone. It would describe it as something in the steering or struts. Like everyone else, I know the dealer will never find it. Thoughts?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Well it aint knocking, my mother uses PLUS, and the compression on the dodge is low enough we could easily get away with regular. 93 would not cause a TL to knock unless you are using forced induction, which you are not. I am guessing it is either the suspension or a motor mount. We were supposed to get it fixed a while ago but my folks are lazy, if we do get it fixed before you, I will post what the problem was.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Racer

Is this the noise you are talking about?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116824
Old 07-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Team AM #123

Originally Posted by A_UFO
Is this the noise you are talking about?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116824

no not the ABS engaging i knew about that

this is something else

hope tis not a motor mount, that would be a bitch
Old 07-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AnitNO1iLLeR
has anyone hear like a clicking noise or something hitting against something when you go from 5mph to about 25mph and after that the noise is gone, or maybe its just my car

the noise started to occur as of lately

a few weeks ago i hit a massive pothole and pop a tire, maybe something is wrong with suspension now? (front passenger side)

or it could be the engine, i hear the same noise sometimes from older cars when they accel but much louder on those cars

i asked my friends if they could hear the noise and they said nothing, but i can hear it for sure

sometimes it isnt there but it always comes back

does anyone know what i am talking about?

feedbakcs please, thanx!!!
If you have your doorlocks set to auto lock at 10mph most 04 + TL owners will notice that at that exact moment that the doorlocks...lock...(10mph) you can hear a VERY slight "thump" noise coming from the engine that has nothing to do with the auto locks it just happends to occur at that exact moment when you first start up the car and hit 10mph. I wanted to make sure this was "normal" so I went to the dealer where I purchased my car and told them I wanted to hit 10mph in a few of their new TL's to see if the noise I hear on my car is nothing I should worry about. Of course they gave me this weird look and a sales agent said "let me talk to my manager to see if you can do this"...I said okay...just tell him I wont even drive off the lot...I just want to hit 10mph. After making me wait 10 minutes they let me drive 3 automatic TL's and 2 of the 3 had that "thump" noise when I hit 10mph. Everyone at the dealer says its a "normal ABS self check that happends spontaneously almost exactly at 10mph". I happen to arrive when one of their Vise President Of Operations was there and as I was leaving he just said..."just enjoy the car!!!...If you ever hear that kind of noise when you accelerate at city 35+ mph or highway 65+ mph then definitely bring in your car because then you would have a problem".
Old 07-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Team AM #123

Originally Posted by california-usa
If you have your doorlocks set to auto lock at 10mph most 04 + TL owners will notice that at that exact moment that the doorlocks...lock...(10mph) you can hear a VERY slight "thump" noise coming from the engine that has nothing to do with the auto locks it just happends to occur at that exact moment when you first start up the car and hit 10mph. I wanted to make sure this was "normal" so I went to the dealer where I purchased my car and told them I wanted to hit 10mph in a few of their new TL's to see if the noise I hear on my car is nothing I should worry about. Of course they gave me this weird look and a sales agent said "let me talk to my manager to see if you can do this"...I said okay...just tell him I wont even drive off the lot...I just want to hit 10mph. After making me wait 10 minutes they let me drive 3 automatic TL's and 2 of the 3 had that "thump" noise when I hit 10mph. Everyone at the dealer says its a "normal ABS self check that happends spontaneously almost exactly at 10mph". I happen to arrive when one of their Vise President Of Operations was there and as I was leaving he just said..."just enjoy the car!!!...If you ever hear that kind of noise when you accelerate at city 35+ mph or highway 65+ mph then definitely bring in your car because then you would have a problem".

nah thats not it, this noise can come from 10mph all the way to 25 or 30mphs

thin metal to metal contact sounds like, like i said it kinda like flipping a coin, that kind of sound
Old 07-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Instructor

nah thats not it, this noise can come from 10mph all the way to 25 or 30mphs

thin metal to metal contact sounds like, like i said it kinda like flipping a coin, that kind of sound
Hmmm...strange if it was my car before the warranty expires I would have that checked just for peace of mind that something wont screw up right after your warranty period ends.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Yah, our minivan has the exact same noise. I rocked the car, and when you do that the motor turns about 5 degrees and it made no click, so I think motor mounts can be ruled out. Take a look at this: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension.htm It may help out. (that site is how I know a lot about everything, very useful to take a look now and then)
Old 07-01-2005, 08:00 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if your answer to this questions is yes,t hen i think i know what it is

with the car off, if you close the passenger door does it make the sound from the outisde the cabin?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Team AM #123

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
if your answer to this questions is yes,t hen i think i know what it is

with the car off, if you close the passenger door does it make the sound from the outisde the cabin?

i dont think so.....

noise only comes with i step on the pedal
Old 07-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, after hitting a massive pot hole, the axles (cv joints) and wheel bearings
should be checked, along with metal bits hitting something during acceleration.
The motor moves on its mounts on acceleration, and maybe something is bent
enough to contact a moving part.
Maximum stress is at low speeds, at higher speeds, the noise could be lost in road noise.

On a side note, does the motor have lifters or some other method of adjusting
the valve lash, as the manual has a valve lash adjustment listed in the
maintanance section.
Some cars use both a lifter and have a adjustment...

Why does acura not use knock sensors???
They detect knock and retard the timing to prevent it.

Brett
Old 07-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Team AM #123

well when i hit the pot hole the wheel didnt bent

i dont know maybe i'll have it check out when i get my oil change which is at 30%
Old 07-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Acura definatly uses knock sensors, not only have I seen that in literature, but this engine is one of the most advanced on the public market. It isnt the engine, I am guessing it is the CV joint. I doubt it is something in the way of the motor, when I push our car while it is in park the motor visably makes a large rotation on the mounts, no clicking then.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Guys, I had the same problem. It was clicking noise that was coming from the front driver side wheel. I took it the dealer first time and they told that they found some loose bolts and they fixed it. But right after leaving the dealer, the noise was back so I made and another appt to get it fixed. This time they kept the car for 4 days and they ended up replace the craddle that hold the front suspension in place and they blamed it on the a poor welding job from the factory. After replacing the craddle the noise is gone. Try seeing if the dealer will replace the craddle.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:57 AM
Racer

Maybe it's noise from the Air Conditioner. Since you are in New York, you are probably starting to use the AC for the summer months.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Pro

No, No, It's valve noise. My aunt has a accord V6 and its valves are noisey as fu*k. Honda V6 motors just have some valve noise. Try this-start the car with your front end in an acousticaly enclosed area(garage, or between three cars) let the idle tone down. put it in neutral, and quickly push the pedal in to about 10% throttle and let it go. You'll hear your clicking climb and drop with the motor. If not, its something else. If so, then its valve noise. Nothing to worry about. If it really bothers you, take it to a shop or dealer and have the valves adjusted,which is stated in the owners manual, i think in the b service list.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:54 PM
6MT & LSD

I got a similar issue, but mine seems to be rather random. At first, I thought there was something wrong with the clutch, but quickly ruled that out. Then I thought it was some loose piece on the AEM CAI, but nope. It's frequent during accel, but also does when I'm cruising at 50~...

It is driving me nuts because I can't figure out what it is... I even thought it was the front driver door rattling. I'm going to take it in to the dealer once I can duplicate the noise... it's too random right now, and I KNOW it will magically disappear when I take it in to the dealer
Old 07-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

It aint valve noise, its deffinatly suspension, and its not the CV joint, I mixed that up with another suspension component. It sounds like a loose bolt or a rubber washer came off bolt.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Took my car in to Concord Acura for a similar noise and they told me that my intermediate shaft was leaking. They are replacing the intermediate shaft today. Gotta wait and see if the shaft is the cause of the noise.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:28 AM
10th Gear

Did anyone ever figure this one out? My car does the same thing. I have to pass a security check point every morning on the way to work and I hear it as soon as I pull away from the guard shack.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

i dont think so.....

noise only comes with i step on the pedal
When I have my car turned off, and I close one (ore more) of the driver side doors or the trunk, I can sometimes hear a rattling sound underneath the car near the back left wheelwell... bothers me to no end!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:31 PM
7th Gear

My 05 TL was also making the metallic noise when accelerating right around 2500 rpms. I left my car at the dealership for 16 days, and they finally figured out that it was the heat shield. They replaced it and the noise is gone. Have your dealership check it out. I've seen other messages on this board where others have had the same issue with the same resolution, so it seems to be a common problem.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:19 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can someone tell me where is the heat shield exactly ?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Instructor

I just took my '04 in for the same problem. I'd hear it at start-up. Accelerating from a stop (1st to 2nd) and ALSO when I shut the car off. The tech said it was a heat shield and that he has replaced a few in past month. Mine is on order and I will be getting it replaced shortly.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:17 AM
Cruisin'

It's possible this thread has morphed into a discussion about two separate items. The first seemed to be a complaint about a clicking noise @ 5 mph to 25 mph. The second complaint seems to be pinging or engine knocking. I have the misfortune of having had both.

First the clicking noise @ 5 – 25 mph – If it sounds like a stick or something caught in a fan and it appears when the car is cool (mornings) It might be the steering rack going bad. I had two replaced within 2K miles. The third one seems to be the charm.

Second the pinging – Acura seems to be chanting the “you have bad gas” to several of us TL owners. I have never used anything less than 93 octane and have even tried boosters (although I will not admit to it) with no change in the pinging under load or when accelerating at a moderate to heavy level. You can find several posts with greater detail on engine ping in this forum.

I gave the dealer three chances to repair the problem then, I filed a complaint under the FL lemon law system. Acura USA has scheduled an appointment for a final attempt to fix. I hope they can get the problem solved. I will keep the forum posted.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear

Have dealer check heat shield by transmission. Mine was loose. sounded like pinging. Service bulletin sent today per dealer.
-Paul
Old 09-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by pstrumph
Have dealer check heat shield by transmission. Mine was loose. sounded like pinging. Service bulletin sent today per dealer.
-Paul
Can anyone post this Service Bulletin?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
i having this ping noise on my 07 tls...it only happens when u go from stop and accelerate. like others has said, it sounds like two metal pieces hitting each other, I incline to think it may be my emergency brake disengaging due to me not adjusting them since I bought the car....but someone mentioned the craddle....I'm at the dealer now for the mirror problem and I have asked them to look into it....

is anyone else still experiencing this???
Old 09-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Cruisin'

same problem here... sounds like a loose object somewhere in the wheel assembly, right side suspension, or even the passenger door.... highly intermittent... so frustrating
Old 09-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigshot82
same problem here... sounds like a loose object somewhere in the wheel assembly, right side suspension, or even the passenger door.... highly intermittent... so frustrating
just road tested with tech. we reproduced the noise sitting still in gear holding the breaks...sounds like it may be a transmission issue...he's checking it out now...
Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Cruiser

update: tech said it was the cv joint...needed to be re-greased....no noise now