Noise coming from Wheel Well

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:28 AM
07ASM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Exclamation Noise coming from Wheel Well

I noticed yesterday morning that their is a knocking sound while accelerating every once in a while and it sounds like its coming from my front right side wheel area. The noise is pretty subtle as you cannot hear it with the windows down or any sort of volume inside the car. I only noticed it because I had the windows up and no music playing. (So this could have been an ongoing issue I just never noticed it)

The noise is not consistent and I found that if I put my car in Manual mode it actually happens more consistently when I am about to switch gears.

Sometimes it also makes the noise while decelerating or coming to a stop. It doesnt seem to happen by just turning the wheel, It seems to mainly happen due to the car in motion.

Whats the checklist on what I should check for. I am guessing axle, wheel bearing, CV Joint? Is this a common issue for our cars?

And if it is one of those issues, How much money are we talking?
Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by PrimeTiime
I noticed yesterday morning that their is a knocking sound while accelerating every once in a while and it sounds like its coming from my front right side wheel area. The noise is pretty subtle as you cannot hear it with the windows down or any sort of volume inside the car. I only noticed it because I had the windows up and no music playing. (So this could have been an ongoing issue I just never noticed it)

The noise is not consistent and I found that if I put my car in Manual mode it actually happens more consistently when I am about to switch gears.

Sometimes it also makes the noise while decelerating or coming to a stop. It doesnt seem to happen by just turning the wheel, It seems to mainly happen due to the car in motion.

Whats the checklist on what I should check for. I am guessing axle, wheel bearing, CV Joint? Is this a common issue for our cars?

And if it is one of those issues, How much money are we talking?
That's pretty hard to diagnose through the internet maybe an axle or side motor mount? Kind of sounds like the motor mount have you checked it out recently?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:49 AM
07ASM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
How many motor mounts do our TLs have? I checked all suspension components and everything seems fine visually.

Also, I noticed the noise goes completely away once the weather warms up. I.E I heard it all yesterday morning when it was around 50 degrees but when it got up to 80 degrees later in the day and I drove my car I heard nothing. Tonight on the way into work it had dropped to around 60 and I heard it a few times.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:01 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
^3 motor mounts, front, side, rear.

Also, 3 transmission mounts......if auto.