Noise coming from the passenger side front of the engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Noise coming from the passenger side front of the engine

So i have been having this noise coming from the front passenger side of my 04 TL. I have searched tons of forums and threads. I have found a lot on people saying the dealer replaces the water pump, timing belt, and all of the other pulleys and tensioners right inside that timing belt cover and it fixes it. Well....... the noise sounds like crickets in a can, and only does it when the car idles in gear or when you barely hit the gas and slowly take off. It only did it sometimes, so every time i took it to the dealer or my mechanic it of course wouldnt make the sound, but the whole drive there and after it would make it. ANYWAY, my timing belt i am fixing to replace myself but didnt want to have to replace all the other things since they arent bad. I went to my exhaust guy and we heard it! It was my half shaft seal plate on the passenger side. it was just barely loose so we tightened it and havent heard it since! Hope this may help someone.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:25 AM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
whats this shaft thing ur talking about, is it under the car?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep. you can put it on a lift or jack it up and crawl under. the half shaft is the "driveshaft" you have one on each side going to the wheels. its what powers the wheels. but it was the passenger side half shaft seal plate cover that was making the noise
Old 06-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
In gear?? Moving or still? That driveshaft only turns when the car is moving. Maybe the heat shield was loose and rattling??

And as for the timing belt job.... Those other parts aren't bad now, but when they do go bad, you'll know it and wish you had replaced them. If that is your idea, then why not just take a cover off and look at the timing belt? Is it bad?? NO. Then why replace it?? Get the picture? A few dollars now could save you a lot of dollars in the long run.