No Power When The Key Is Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 08:04 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Power When The Key Is Off

Hey everybody,
I'm new to the community though I've been using some of the posts here for almost a year to fix things lol. I have a 2007 acura tl base non navigation. Now to the point, when I turn my key to the off position every convenience feature has no power except for the little light in the door panel. I can't unlock or lock the doors with the switch, the trip miles do not save, and even though the dome light is set to turn on when the door is open if the key is in the off position or not in the ignition it wont turn on. It's like once the key is off almost all constant power is cut off.
so far I've checked the fuses under the hood and on the driver's side with a test light and pulled them for a visual inspection and they are all good. I am stumped. I dont know what else to do. Idk if this helps but when I purchased the car (used) the previous owner rigged up some subs and left the live wires in the trunk the dealer didn't know they were live when they sold me the car and neither did I. As I was backing out something happened and the whole dash went out. Lights, cluster, ac, radio everything. So I took it directly back and had them "fix" it. Now I can't remember if they were like this before that incident but they have been this way the whole time I've owned the car and I've been trying to figure it out but I cant. I wonder if that could have shorted out something in the car?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 493 Likes on 375 Posts
The only thing that doesn't make much sense is that everything works fine with key on, but engine not running, right?

Usually every function has it's own separate module, that has separate power through separate fuse. There are communication wires (for example between door unit and MICU) to allow for certain functions. For example signal from remote receiver goes to MICU, and then MICU sends signal to door module to unlock the doors. If something would happened to MICU, and it would load/ground those communication wires, maybe other modules would quit working. But why would that happen only when key is off? I don't know.

Important: You wrote that you checked fuses with test light, but to clarify, does fuses have power when key is off, and for example door switch doesn't work? Check if #7 under-dash (should be 7.5A) fuse has power when key off, and when door switch doesn't work.

Maybe somebody fitted some stupid additional relay, to cut power to everything, as a 'workaround' for parasitic draw or something?