New Thule roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Thule roof rack

Hi All, i have a question for anyone who has a 3g TL and the newer thule roof rack system with KIT1544 base. Did you guys have any issues tightening the rear bar? The grip kept on coming loose as I tightened it. The front went on with no problems but the back just would not tighten up and stay firm. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Anyone?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
sell it and get a yakima kit?

I dont know how the Thule works, but with the Yakima rack, you tighten by hand the cam mechanism so when you fold down the lever it pulls the mount securely to the roof.

Double check your measurements, make sure your clips are properly installed and the correct ones.

and the installation guide:
http://www.thule.com/pdf.axd?ext=\Cl...1544__1544.pdf
Old 04-19-2012, 12:19 PM
10th Gear

haha, yah i did look at the yakima's as well. i checked all measurements and the brackets are made for our cars. seen people posting about having the thule racks on so i figured id give it a shot here. ill try it again this weekend..and see..if not guess ill have to give Thule a call. Thanks for bumping and replying.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
mine went on and off without a hitch (the few times it has come off the car and put back on which was maybe....3 times in 6 yrs, well 4 now since the beginning of the yr). it works the same way the yakima rack works (i've had both). i had the extender on my rack since i was using upright mounts. however the mount areas to the roof are around the same area.

sure you have the right clips?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 PM
solace in privation

Hi guys I just purchased a thule roof rack for my 06 TL. got the 400 xt foot kit and thule is telling me i need an adapter bar ( for short roofs) . My fit kit for the 400xt states i need #2138.. any suggestions TLtrigirl ? I had read ur postings on roof racks. u seem to know alot. tx
Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 PM
solace in privation

Originally Posted by somethingstupid
Hi All, i have a question for anyone who has a 3g TL and the newer thule roof rack system with KIT1544 base. Did you guys have any issues tightening the rear bar? The grip kept on coming loose as I tightened it. The front went on with no problems but the back just would not tighten up and stay firm. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I purchased a kit as well but the #2138 fit kit and thule states we need short arm adapter for short roofs ? do you think ur problem is related to the fact that u need that extra piece ?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:33 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by ironlung1948
Hi guys I just purchased a thule roof rack for my 06 TL. got the 400 xt foot kit and thule is telling me i need an adapter bar ( for short roofs) . My fit kit for the 400xt states i need #2138.. any suggestions TLtrigirl ? I had read ur postings on roof racks. u seem to know alot. tx
if thule states it needs the short roof adaptor...get it. the loads you place up top wil be much more stable and spread the weight and stresses of the load across the entire roof rather than the 1 foot of space between the set of clips on the roof.

i bought mine with the ALL the pieces and NEVER had a problem with it.

the upside of the roof rack it'll save your car in the event a tree branch falls on it (gee...don't ask me how i know this one).

even if you went with yakima (depends on the locations of where they have you put the clips, you may not need one if there is aequate spacing between the bars) you would still need the short roof adaptor. again it is the load distribution and stresses from what you are carrying which need to be distributed over the entire roof.

most guys i see with the roof racks on their cars don't get the adaptor for whatever reason (posers-just have the rack for looks, no mounts, just the bars and faring, ie naked. dont' get me wrong i miss the look of the roof rack that i actually used on my car since day 2 of ownership and after 6 1/2 yrs, but since my incident in january-something about a tree branch, my MDX has been designated for full bike duty). for me...it's not worth the damages that could be incurred to the car or the bikes should they....fall off.

my pet peeve of the new farings is that they sit on the sunroof of the car rendering your sunroof useless. i didn't use one on my TL (the new faring type). we had spare parts from another rack and an old school faring. we custom fabbed it to sit right on the windshield stripping.

also, somethingstupid-is using a a different base than you are. so the clips maybe different. it's been a while since i was in the market for roof rack, but the companies now offer sleeker more expenesive base set-ups now (aluminum look over the black base and bar look)

so...if in doubt give thule a call and ask them.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 04-21-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:45 PM
10th Gear

thanks guys. according to thule website..i didnt need any extra bracket and such. didnt get a chance to put it on last weekend..so will try and do so this weekend. and def dont want my bike flying off the car...bike's already been in a couple of crashes with trees, lol.