New Guy here, introduction and need help with some cel codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
New Guy here, introduction and need help with some cel codes

Sorry for the long post if you don't care to read my intro just skip to the asteriks, the car is an 04 with 75k miles.

I have been looking for a 3rd gen tl for a few months know, I was pretty picky I wanted black exterior, with navigation and under 90k miles and didn't want to spend over 12k. I saw an ad for an 04 with 75k, it was exactly what i was looking for. So decided to take a look it even tho it was just under a grand more than i wanted to spend. When I went to check it out the GMC dealership who took it as a trade knew nothing about the car and had no clue it had a K&N typhoon intake, comptech catback exhaust, and a tein super street suspension kit installed among other things. It looked amazing in person, drove great, had receipts for all maintenance, and the mods seemed to be professionaly done. So I decided it was worth spending a little extra and went back to buy it the following day.

Just a little background on me, I am an engineering student, who was blessed to be raised by parents who taught me to work hard, save money, and spend wisely. I know some people would think it is foolish for a college student to spend that much of their savings on a car. But I saved what most people would think of as a decent sum of money before I graduated high school thinking I would need it in college, but I got lucky and got enough scholarships that I actually get payed to go to school. Since I do a paid internship every other semester and work during classes, I have been able to save more than most college students. I decided I mine as well daily drive something a little nicer than my 93 civic. I love that car and put a lot of work into it, but I have sort of outgrown it in many ways. Besides the TL and civic i currently own an r6, a couple jet skis, and a sandrail. I enjoy doing all the work on my vehicles from rebuilding transmissions to paint. I hope to be able to learn a lot from you guys on here and help out in any way I can.

**** The TL wasn't reading any codes when I bought it but after driving it maybe 100 miles the cel came on. The codes are p2631 and p2197 (oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor 1-high voltage and stuck lean)
along with p0108 (map sensor circuit high voltage). My questions are:

-Should I hassle the dealer since they probably just cleared the codes before i took it for a test drive etc? It wasn't a b class dealer or anything but it was a gmc dealership that got it as a trade in so it is possible the previous owner cleared them before trading it in.

- How common are these codes at this mileage, ie. should i just replace the LAF sensor and Map sensor or should i try to diagnose a wiring or mechanical problem? I am a little suspicious that these codes could be the result of the intake/exhaust modifications but those items according to the receipts have been installed for about 3 years now so I can't imagine the previous owner wouldn't have tried correcting the problem by now.

-Also the part numbers I am assuming for bank 2 sensor 1 is (36531-RDM-A01: SENSOR, FR. LAF) can anyone verify this is corrrect.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would go an hassle the dealer before doing anything out of pocket since you recently bought it. Assuming it was "sold as is" more then likely will not doing anything, but you never know. If they don't help you, clear the codes and see what happens. If the you get another cel check to see if the codes are the same as before.

For the MAP I would check the intake manifold for vacuum leaks. If you check the repair server manual there is probably a test procedure in the manual to trouble shoot the sensor. Click the link below for the service manual

http://carbon-based.net/_pdf_/TL_Manual_2004.pdf

If you decide to replace the O2 sensor you could buy NGK or Bosch. I have had no problems with neither brand just make sure it is the exact oem type and not the universal one. Also look the part numbers up on amazon and buy it from there since you can save $20-$30 depending on the sensor.

NGK #24302 Pre-Cat $113.83
NGK #24414 Post-Cat rear/Post-Cat Front M/T $42.70
NGK #24413 Post Cat front A/T $41.82

A tip for removing any exhaust nuts,bolts and 02 sensors. Use a butane torch ($25@lowes) to heat the base of the o2 where the socket or wrench fits. Heat it for about 2-4 minutes and then try to loosen. If it doesn't budge the first time heat it for longer. I have never use wd-40, pb blast or any penetrating solvents to remove exhaust nuts or bolts. Today I replaced an original 02 sensor on my father's 1996 truck in 10minutes using the above method and with a 7/8" open ended wrench that is how easy it was. I swapped my j-pipe out in about 30 minutes.

Last edited by xmrgoodcatx; 01-15-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by xmrgoodcatx
I would go an hassle the dealer before doing anything out of pocket since you recently bought it. Assuming it was "sold as is" more then likely will not doing anything, but you never know. If they don't help you, clear the codes and see what happens. If the you get another cel check to see if the codes are the same as before.

For the MAP I would check the intake manifold for vacuum leaks. If you check the repair server manual there is probably a test procedure in the manual to trouble shoot the sensor. Click the link below for the service manual

http://carbon-based.net/_pdf_/TL_Manual_2004.pdf

If you decide to replace the O2 sensor you could buy NGK or Bosch. I have had no problems with neither brand just make sure it is the exact oem type and not the universal one. Also look the part numbers up on amazon and buy it from there since you can save $20-$30 depending on the sensor.

NGK #24302 Pre-Cat $113.83
NGK #24414 Post-Cat rear/Post-Cat Front M/T $42.70
NGK #24413 Post Cat front A/T $41.82

A tip for removing any exhaust nuts,bolts and 02 sensors. Use a butane torch ($25@lowes) to heat the base of the o2 where the socket or wrench fits. Heat it for about 2-4 minutes and then try to loosen. If it doesn't budge the first time heat it for longer. I have never use wd-40, pb blast or any penetrating solvents to remove exhaust nuts or bolts. Today I replaced an original 02 sensor on my dad's 1996 pick up in 10minutes using the above method and with a 7/8" open ended wrench that is how easy it was. I swapped my j-pipe out in about 30 minutes.
I used my brothers android app with the obdII plug transmitter to view the cels. It shows in the log that those have come up about three times a piece. Unfortunately it doesn't give me a date. But when i went out there a few hours later the cel was off without clearing it. Looking at the graph for the bank 2 sensor voltage its peak is the same as bank 1 but it's valleys do drop down to about .2 volts while driving which is consideably lower than the valleys on bank 1. I think the sensor is likely going bad which explains intermittent cels. As far as the map sensor and checking vacuum leaks what do you thinks easiest, just spraying some combustible fluid onto any possible leak spots. I think ill just get an oem o2 sensor though since its only seven dollars more, even tho ngk probably makes the oem ones. But thanks for the tip, I'm pretty familiar with stuck bolts. My first car in high school was a 76 jeep...there was a few rusty bolts on that. I have a few acetylene torches I usually bust out for stuck bolts. It's pretty amazing how well it works.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:06 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
an exhaust and suspension will never throw a cel on this tl unless something was knocked loose when installed. it would help if u list all of the mods that you see on the car.

the k&n intake can throw a cel if one of the vacuum hoses wasn't sealed or if one of the hoses cracked. the evap sensors in this car can detect tiny leaks in a hose. maybe just check the hoses around the intake and see if you can hear, feel or spot anything.