Need Help!!! Flashing CEL with rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help!!! Flashing CEL with rough idle

Hey Acurazine,

Now before I get told to check old threads or research the garage, I've done that already. This is my last resort to resolve this issue.

I have an 07 TL with a 135,000 miles. A few days ago the CEL came on and I noticed it had a rough idle. Took it to dealership. Got a few codes indicating misfires. They adjusted the valves and cylinder 5 still came up. The coil and fuel injector were replaced and cylinder 5 came back up. After they tested the compression and performed a block test, I was told I had a broken head gasket causing water to get into cylinder 5. Really not believing that since this car has never overheated on me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
What code(s) does it presently show?
Lose of coolant?
Have you taken another compression test?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM
Advanced

The only thing the dealer is telling me is that cylinder 5 is triggering the CEL. They ran a compression test and said everything checked out fine. Coolant is good on the car. I haven't ran a compression test since I got the car back just yesterday and haven't driven it.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
No talk of replacement of spark plug, was it replaced..?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 PM
Advanced

All the plugs were changed a month ago. And dealer didn't suggest that. I believe they said the plugs were good.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Purchase a test kit to see if any gases in the water.
Use a pressure tester (AZ has them as loaners) to pump up the cooling system to 18lbs and let sit to see if the system has a leak.
If it keeps dropping, there is a leak. You can even pull #5 spark plug, disable the fuel pump and ignition, then turn the engine over to see if any coolant is spewed out the plug hole.
Don't think you would have the capability to insert air into the cyl through spark plug hole when the valves are closed, but a good way to determine cyl sealing.
Compare spark plug condition to others.
Make certain fuel injector is working properly, check voltage at harness, then listen for injector "noise" with engine running. Some use a long screwdriver to listen for the "clicking".

If not familiar with doing the tests, better to get another opinion, maybe try an independent in which you have confidence.

It's a start.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the input Turbo. I'm gonna have to get a second opinion. I'll post my results when I find what's truly wrong with the car. Thanks again guys.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:53 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
What are the codes that comes up? Without knowning all the codes and just say it misfire really hard to diagnose engine problems. P...?