My TL Type S Not built to Acura Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009 | 02:55 PM
Racer

My TL Type S Not built to Acura Standard?

Guys;

Ever since I got my 07 TL Type S, I noticed little things not quite up to snuff from my 05 TL such as:
  • various rattles
  • fit and finish not quite as tight
  • a bit more wind noise from window seals
I also noticed my hood and trunk are not perfectly aligned when closed as there is more gap on one side than the other. In comparison, my wifes Sienna and my brothers Hyundai Santa Fe are perfectly aligned when closed.

What gives? Was my car built on a Monday or does Acura simply not build them like they used to once they shifted all production to the USA?
Old 04-26-2009 | 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

It happens to most every make at one time or another, but the dealer would have taken care of the alignment problems if objections voiced when the car was new. Rattles and wind noise could be addressed also.

Got to say that our '04, no rattles at all. Let me take that back, the cover/lid on the dash compartment at times. Just too lazy to fix.
Old 04-26-2009 | 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

hmm..thats odd

I dont notice any allignment problem with my trunk or hood..

but I definately hear alot of wind noise from my cabin as if my windows wasnt completely closed.
Old 04-26-2009 | 05:38 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

weird, sucks though
Old 04-26-2009 | 06:57 PM
New 08 ASM Type-S Owner

Same Thing

I have the same fit and finish issues too

But I also have paint issues

Mine is a 08 Type S in ASM, and all the flaws are magnified by the color

My car has only 1000 miles on it

The good thing is that Acura, has agreed to fix the paint issues which comes out to be $5300.00

The thing I hate is that I will lose some of my Vin decals to have the issues resolved.

To me that makes my car lose value right off the top, even though the car has never been in an accident.

Old 04-26-2009 | 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Buddy, I am sorry that your car is not up to standard. Your car is still under warranty, right? Please take it to the dealership and let them know about the things that are wrong with the car and get satisfaction.

2009 Kansas City All Acura Meet-May 17th
https://acurazine.com/forums/midwest-312/kansas-city-2009-spring-all-acura-meet-may-17th-12pm-%40-jay-wolfe-acura-714994/
Old 04-26-2009 | 11:04 PM
Racer

Lately I've been living in the dealership fixing small stuff. Usually the stuff doesn't get resolved. I complained about a slight rattle in the rear deck where the sub is and now that the dealer fixed it, it rattles all the time with certain music being played. It never rattled with music before their "fix".

I am bringing it back in about 2 months for an oil change and will bring up the alignment issues of my hood and trunk but they will likely tell me its normal. I had 2 independent Acura dealers inspect the car and both claimed there are no signs its been in an accident. It also has a clean carfax report but how do I really know for sure?

How else could there be these very small alignment issues that I don't see in a friggin $15k Hyundai???

Its possible I didn't pay attention to some of this stuff when I had my 05 TL b/c it was a lease but I'd expect more from a sub $40k car quite honestly.
Old 05-07-2009 | 09:38 PM
Racer

I agree!

Originally Posted by Audioholics
Lately I've been living in the dealership fixing small stuff. Usually the stuff doesn't get resolved. I complained about a slight rattle in the rear deck where the sub is and now that the dealer fixed it, it rattles all the time with certain music being played. It never rattled with music before their "fix".

I am bringing it back in about 2 months for an oil change and will bring up the alignment issues of my hood and trunk but they will likely tell me its normal. I had 2 independent Acura dealers inspect the car and both claimed there are no signs its been in an accident. It also has a clean carfax report but how do I really know for sure?

How else could there be these very small alignment issues that I don't see in a friggin $15k Hyundai???

Its possible I didn't pay attention to some of this stuff when I had my 05 TL b/c it was a lease but I'd expect more from a sub $40k car quite honestly.

I've been to the dealership twice for the sub rattle, and now I'd say it's 90-95% fixed but the numerous rattles in the cabin area are frustrating...sunroof rattle, glove box rattle, steering wheel etc... It's getting really f*****g old. When I first got my 08 Type S I even had problems with it starting, now still it only has 3700 miles on it and I've had it to the dealership about 5 times and still haven't even had it's first oil change!! I do still love Acura but I'm begining to think my love is only out of obligation to be loyal because Honda is all I've owned for the last 11 years...Don't even get me started on the moleskin issue for tinted windows and how they scratch unless you put the moleskin felt on...WTF would you put rubber on the interior of the windows for anyway??? I agree for almost $40k this minor shit shouldn't even be an issue AT ALL!!!!!!!!

Last edited by skyfox23; 05-07-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2009 | 09:45 PM
Team Owner

You are both right. It's weird you guys cannot get satisfaction. I've had no rattles at all with my '07 Type S-I guess I just got lucky. But I did have the subwoofer rattle occur. I told my dealership about it and the service writer said, "oh yea, no problem-we fix those all the time." I left it with them for the afternoon-picked it up after work and it's never rattled again. It's a simple, known fix-they remove the rear bench and tighten the bolts that the seat belts attach to the car with. All work was done under warranty too.

2009 Kansas City All Acura Meet-May 17th
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714994
Old 05-07-2009 | 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Guys theres a very easy and simple way to fix the sub rattles

Simply get a paper or something and fold it up a couple times and stick it in between the rear window and the plastic..it should tighten up the gap and kill some rattle..

ive done this and is satisfy, but after a while it gets loose and comes back. So u might want to add 1 on each side and 1 in the middle to tighten up the gap
Old 05-07-2009 | 10:16 PM
KBPftmfw

The sub rattle can be addressed by removing the trunk light and putting a folded piece of cardboard from a cereal box or something between the clip and the frame of the car. Look up through the hole and you'll see a clip that comes down through the frame. Wedge something between the clip and the frame; this should eliminate most rear deck rattles.

Hood and trunk misalignment is straight from the factory. Have the dealer deal with it.

The reason the tint scratches is Acura puts more weatherstripping than normal inside the doors to reduce road noise. Of Course, this affords more opportunity for dirt and shit to get caught and scratch the tint. Kind of a trade off for a quieter car.
Old 05-07-2009 | 10:22 PM
Stand For Something

I could not agree more with all of your statements. The rattles in my car are getting absolutely ridiculous. It seems everytime I start to drive there is a new rattle somewhere. I had my Mazda 6 from 2004 - 2007.5... ZERO RATTLES.

I tried having the subwoofer rattle fixed, but the dealer I bought the car from is an absolute JOKE. I despise everyone who works there. I brought it in to be fixed, I guess they replaced the entire rear decklid, and the rattle is significantly worse than it was before. Not only that, but they put a scratch on the rear quarter and tried to deny it.

I've come up with my own fix to the rattles... LOUD MUSIC. lol.

Audioholics, can you elaborate a little bit on these alignment issues with the hood and trunk? Where exactly is the mis-alignment?

Last edited by ASASN21; 05-07-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2009 | 11:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aleong1967

I also have an '08 ASM with poor paint. Paint runs in the door jams. Debris in the base coat you can see through the clear coat. Runs in the clear coat in the door bottom and hanging off the front hood near the grill. I won't let them attempt to fix it, it would probably look worse after the repairs. Not good for a near luxury car.
Old 05-08-2009 | 07:53 AM
Pro

lmao....that was funny. loud music. I got an 05' I always get rattles as well. subwoofer especially. my warranty expires next week. The funny thing is that it comes and it goes, i rather not take the risk of taking it to the dealer and making it worse. I have new rattles in different areas of the car. it usually happens in the morning when the car is cold "i guess", i didnt even know acura fixed these things. It is hard at times to find where they are.

Originally Posted by ASASN21
I could not agree more with all of your statements. The rattles in my car are getting absolutely ridiculous. It seems everytime I start to drive there is a new rattle somewhere. I had my Mazda 6 from 2004 - 2007.5... ZERO RATTLES.

I tried having the subwoofer rattle fixed, but the dealer I bought the car from is an absolute JOKE. I despise everyone who works there. I brought it in to be fixed, I guess they replaced the entire rear decklid, and the rattle is significantly worse than it was before. Not only that, but they put a scratch on the rear quarter and tried to deny it.

I've come up with my own fix to the rattles... LOUD MUSIC. lol.

Audioholics, can you elaborate a little bit on these alignment issues with the hood and trunk? Where exactly is the mis-alignment?
Old 05-08-2009 | 09:39 AM
Pro

No rattles that I can think of. I have stock stereo. Maybe stuff in the side storage rattles. The dash may have rattled once but I punched it until it went away.
Old 05-08-2009 | 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Bender
No rattles that I can think of. I have stock stereo. Maybe stuff in the side storage rattles. The dash may have rattled once but I punched it until it went away.
Punching solves my problems too!
Old 05-08-2009 | 11:39 AM
Instructor

I also have a 08 type s with numerous rattles which is disappointing considering my toyota didn't have any.

I also noticed there was debris in my paint and I have a NBP.
Old 05-08-2009 | 12:07 PM
Racer

You are both right. It's weird you guys cannot get satisfaction. I've had no rattles at all with my '07 Type S-I guess I just got lucky. But I did have the subwoofer rattle occur. I told my dealership about it and the service writer said, "oh yea, no problem-we fix those all the time." I left it with them for the afternoon-picked it up after work and it's never rattled again. It's a simple, known fix-they remove the rear bench and tighten the bolts that the seat belts attach to the car with. All work was done under warranty too.
Steve I wish I had your dealership here.

Yes when I look at my closed trunk, the gap on both sides near the rear window is NOT even. The left side has a slightly larger gap. Its easy to feel the difference with your finger.

Also when you open the trunk, right below the rear window where that strip of metal painted chassis is, you can see the metal isn't smooth like the rest of the car. It has little imperfections/bumps.

The same issue occurs with my front hood. The gap on the right side of my hood seems a bit wider (like 1/4").

I got so worried that my car may have been totaled that I finally got up the never to call the previous owner whose service receipt I found in the glove box. He told me he babied the car, NEVER an accident or nothing. He used synthetic oil every 3k miles too. The only reason he traded was b/c it was a gas hog. He traded for a Toyota Hybrid Camry. He turned the car in with 10k miles on it. I bought it from a private dealer with 10.3k miles 6 months later. The private dealer deals only with exotic cars and seems very legit so I believe him when he said the car was like new and had no accidents.

What I realize is this car was built with poor oversight from Acura. I am not sure if its b/c its a TLS or if b/c it was built in America.

In comparison, my 05 TL was flawless, had no rattles and no service issues other than oil changes.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this car but these issues are NOT acceptable especially when I have a lame local dealership that typically makes my issues worse when I ask them to fix them.

As another note, all of my windows are now scratched pretty badly. Do you think Acura will pay to replace my window tint and fix this problem? I won't hold my breath but this is yet another annoyance.
Old 05-08-2009 | 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

you can stuff paper towels, or cardboard between the back deck and the sheet metal. or you can sound deaden. I chose the later, simply because I never wanted to deal with this again. Couple this with some deadener on the rear deck itself, closed cell foam deadening and seal up the underside of the rear deck and you have a win win situation. Not only will you notice the rattles have been completely silenced... but you'll improve the overall sound of your factory ELS system if you haven't already replaced the stock speakers with aftermarket ones..
Old 05-08-2009 | 10:02 PM
Racer

you can stuff paper towels, or cardboard between the back deck and the sheet metal. or you can sound deaden. I chose the later, simply because I never wanted to deal with this again. Couple this with some deadener on the rear deck itself, closed cell foam deadening and seal up the underside of the rear deck and you have a win win situation. Not only will you notice the rattles have been completely silenced... but you'll improve the overall sound of your factory ELS system if you haven't already replaced the stock speakers with aftermarket ones..
I have plenty of sound foam at my disposal - hence the name Audioholics

Do I need to remove the subwoofer panel to do this? Does anyone have an illustration or how to on doing this exactly? thanks.
Old 05-12-2009 | 10:29 PM
Advanced

I have this exact sub rattle in my 06 TL. It's definitely the rear deck area. Some good illustrated pics on a DIY instead of going back to the stealership would be awesome.
Old 05-12-2009 | 11:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'll take more detailed pics tomorrow if I get time... depends on my work schedule.. but here's one for now showing how I deadened the rear deck. Notice the I used mass loading deadener on the deck itself, took off the factor foam where the speaker and the deck would make contact and replaced it with a aftermarket foam.

Old 05-13-2009 | 03:57 AM
Team Owner

I always had the rattle problems when I had the stock sub and after I installed my 12W6s in the trunk. Things that helped were:

Removed the center seatbelt (no kids in the car ever)

Dynamatted the backside of the deck.

Stuffed cardboard between the deck and window which was the best fix.

Still, the rattles always came back. The only permanent solution I have found is my recently built bandpass box ported through the armrest. Absolutely 0 rattles at insane volumes. Trust me on this, you will always be chasing sub rattles unless you do this.
Old 05-13-2009 | 05:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Stock setup here w/ over 400sq ft of deadener in the car ATM... no complaints :P

And to think I'll be adding 2 more gallons of liquid, and another 100-120sq ft of matt on top of all that
Old 05-13-2009 | 08:01 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Aleong1967

My car has only 1000 miles on it

The good thing is that Acura, has agreed to fix the paint issues which comes out to be $5300.00

The thing I hate is that I will lose some of my Vin decals to have the issues resolved.

To me that makes my car lose value right off the top, even though the car has never been in an accident.

I would be worried about the repaint having more issues. Do you have in writing that Acura agrees with you that there is a problem with your paint and they will fix it? If you do I would try to go after the $5300 and just pocket it.
Old 05-13-2009 | 08:58 PM
Racer

Guys;

The service place I have my TLS in right now is taking the rear deck off and refoaming it and doing a bunch of things they have a service bulletin specifically for the sub rattle. They are also replacing parts of my front seat to stop that rattle as well. If all goes well, I will only have the occassional door panel rattle to contend with.

I would also love a solution to reducing the wind noise above 60MPH. They claim its normal for 3G TLs.
Old 05-14-2009 | 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Audioholics
Guys;

The service place I have my TLS in right now is taking the rear deck off and refoaming it and doing a bunch of things they have a service bulletin specifically for the sub rattle. They are also replacing parts of my front seat to stop that rattle as well. If all goes well, I will only have the occassional door panel rattle to contend with.

I would also love a solution to reducing the wind noise above 60MPH. They claim its normal for 3G TLs.
believe it or not, try using 303 protectant (the dash stuff) on the seals. After I do my quarterly treatment of the seals, I find that there is a lot less road noise and that the trunk pops up about 2 inches higher...
Old 05-14-2009 | 10:28 AM
Racer

believe it or not, try using 303 protectant (the dash stuff) on the seals. After I do my quarterly treatment of the seals, I find that there is a lot less road noise and that the trunk pops up about 2 inches higher...
Is it a spray that you rub in with a cloth? I will get this ASAP. thanks.
Old 05-14-2009 | 01:19 PM
contemplating future mods

Originally Posted by JwongTLS
Guys theres a very easy and simple way to fix the sub rattles

Simply get a paper or something and fold it up a couple times and stick it in between the rear window and the plastic..it should tighten up the gap and kill some rattle..

ive done this and is satisfy, but after a while it gets loose and comes back. So u might want to add 1 on each side and 1 in the middle to tighten up the gap
I got a match booklet (with out any matches in it), folded it up a bit and wrapped it in electrical tape and shoved it between the window and plastic... no more rattle. The black tape helps to hide the fact that it is there and I can hardly notice it.
Old 05-14-2009 | 08:21 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Not built to standard?

Here's my not built to standard as of a year and a half ago:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...01&postcount=6

And the saga still continues ...............

Old 05-16-2009 | 06:37 PM
4th Gear

I have the same issue with my 07 TLS. Not only is there a gap the trunk is lower on the left than the right when closed. I took to the dealer and Service Manager said it is within "Acceptable" range during manufacturing. Give me a break. I had the District Service Mgr look at it and he said no issue as well. The workmanship is terrible and there no Quality Control before the car leaves the factory. I am a loyal Honda/Acura owner for over 20 years...not after this TL :-(
Old 05-19-2009 | 11:54 AM
5th Gear

Does anyone have the problem of excess noise coming from the passenger side door? Basically a wind noise.
Old 05-19-2009 | 12:57 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JT2wenty
Does anyone have the problem of excess noise coming from the passenger side door? Basically a wind noise.
I do but from the Driver side.
Old 05-19-2009 | 07:19 PM
Racer

yes and the dealer realigned my door to remove some of the windnoise but now it doesn't close properly unless I close it with more force than usual.
Old 05-19-2009 | 07:58 PM
Instructor

Honda's are not what they used to be after decades of being loyal customers and frankly these cars are simply not good enough in performance to put up with the often major common issues. We're moving to exclusive BMW ownership as they've become quite reliable.
Old 05-19-2009 | 09:28 PM
practicing nihilist

OP, I'm surprised your '05 didn't rattle!

For those chasing rattles come from somewhere around the doors and speakers, crack your windows down just a hair at speed? If the rattles stop, you are in need of the door seal fix TSB. They should grease the seals and stuff some pipecleaners and tape in the grooves. This helped tremendously on mine.

Have always had the rear deck rattle but never wanted them ripping the rear dash apart since they had little success on other members cars a few years back. Now that I have ripped the seat out myself for shocks and struts I'll try and deaden it next time. Never heard about the cardboard trick, either.

Tint is scratched to hell on all windows and I'm pissed because they were tinted by the dealer. I think corporate should address this but they just say you didn't need to tint them in the first place.

Oh, my trunk sits below the body line on the right side and the bump stop is adjusted all the way out. I'm gonna bring this up and will be interested to see how they tackle it.
Old 05-19-2009 | 09:28 PM
Suzuka Master

^
Old 05-19-2009 | 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Honda's are not what they used to be after decades of being loyal customers and frankly these cars are simply not good enough in performance to put up with the often major common issues. We're moving to exclusive BMW ownership as they've become quite reliable.
^^^^ ha ha you were supposed to write that in red