my TL is a joke

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
my TL is a joke

I have had an 04 for a year and a half and the freaking rattles have become a joke. It is one after another. I used to be able to open the passenger window to stop one over there, now it wont fix it. It is embarassing to have a girl in a nice looking car and have it sound like its falling apart. They are rattles all over both doors and possibly the vertical panel below the seatbelt. Now there is something by the steering wheel. Acura are you kidding me? Ive had infiniti's for years with maybe one rattle that only pops up when you hit a bump.

How can i get rid of them? I want to take it to a dealership and ask them to do that but i bought it on the east coast and am now in socal. Do i have to have another reason to bring it in? Can i fix some myself, by opening the door panel maybe? If i got rid of these i would be so happy. It really ruins such a great car. PS i know this is not a new complain i am just so irritated.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chkelly
I have had an 04 for a year and a half and the freaking rattles have become a joke. It is one after another. I used to be able to open the passenger window to stop one over there, now it wont fix it. It is embarassing to have a girl in a nice looking car and have it sound like its falling apart. They are rattles all over both doors and possibly the vertical panel below the seatbelt. Now there is something by the steering wheel. Acura are you kidding me? Ive had infiniti's for years with maybe one rattle that only pops up when you hit a bump.

How can i get rid of them? I want to take it to a dealership and ask them to do that but i bought it on the east coast and am now in socal. Do i have to have another reason to bring it in? Can i fix some myself, by opening the door panel maybe? If i got rid of these i would be so happy. It really ruins such a great car. PS i know this is not a new complain i am just so irritated.
You can take it to any Acura dealer for warranty repair.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Instructor

dont i need something that needs repair to do this? are rattles considered a warranty issue?

and for my edification, do dealers like/dislike doing warranty work? They get paid for it by acura right? Just trying to figure out what motivation they would have to work on a car that the consumer doesnt pay them for...
Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Rattles are covered by the warranty. You need to have them fixed.

I don't think dealers really care whether they are doing paid or warranty work. If I'm not mistaken, they are fully reimbursed by Acura, so its irrelevant.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

dont i need something that needs repair to do this? are rattles considered a warranty issue?

and for my edification, do dealers like/dislike doing warranty work? They get paid for it by acura right? Just trying to figure out what motivation they would have to work on a car that the consumer doesnt pay them for...
You should have taken your car in to Acura service long ago to have those issues addressed. If the rattles bother you so much then do something about it. In a year and a half, it's pretty obvious that they're not just going to go away. You can't really blame Acura if you don't do anything to let them correct the problems.

I bought my car used from a Dodge dealership in Maryland last year. I now live in Orlando, FL and there has never been an issue with any warranty work from the Acura dealership down here.

My car is pretty much rattle free though. They did repair an issue with my side mirrors flexing which was causing a squeaking noise inside the cabin. They also tinted my windows again after they got scratched from rolling them down.

Stop wasting time complaining on here and call your local Acura dealer. You'll make a lot more progress that way.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Instructor

vtecmw, wow thanks for nothing!
Old 05-04-2006, 06:10 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Rattles can be really tough for a dealership to fix. Many times they "don't hear it". Sometimes it is BS and sometimes it is really true. You should push to have a tech go out with you and verify that he/she hears the rattles. This makes it much easier for them to be sure they are after the right stuff in your absence. It also gets it in the paperwork that they heard it rather than you claimed it happens

Now, having said that... I've been out with the techs and I've had to personally fix all my (few) rattle. Than includes removing the airbag assy from the wheel to fix a steering wheel rattle. I still like the dealer because the are up front with me on things. Yup....I'm pretty tolerant.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

vtecmw, wow thanks for nothing!
This coming from the guy who comes to the forum complaining about his car rattling a year and a half after purchase. I'm touched!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:12 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had some rattles in my 04 and I've had my car in to the dealer (not the one I bought from) for repairs. Now, it's rattle-free. I posted a tip here about finding the rattles yourself so the tech can more easily fix them. I'll post a link once I find it again.

Edit: Here's my post on this.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Royal Flush

I totally understand your frustration. I have been car shopping myself. The build quality in the the TL is definitely not up to Acura specs from past years. My family has owned Acura products since they first came out and Honda cars since back in the early 80s. They were all tight and problem free.

If you read these posts alot, you will see that the 2004-05 TLs are assembled poorly. My TL has only 16,000 miles yet it sounds like it has been through 200,ooo miles. Terrible. I had an '02 Camaro SS with T-Tops and it had ZERO rattles, so the assembled in America/Canada excuse doesn't fly. This car was poorly engineered from an assembly standpoint. You would never see a Lexus like this, nor the other German makes, both of which I have owned in the past. Sacrificing quality for style and more standard options is a bad move on Acura's part. I know I won't be back to this make that is for sure.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by VtecMW
You should have taken your car in to Acura service long ago to have those issues addressed. If the rattles bother you so much then do something about it. In a year and a half, it's pretty obvious that they're not just going to go away. You can't really blame Acura if you don't do anything to let them correct the problems.

Stop wasting time complaining on here and call your local Acura dealer. You'll make a lot more progress that way.

What kind of BS is this? he paid for his car, he can bitch about it all he wants. when you had paid for his car, then you can tell him to shut up.
It's free speech here. if you are so annoyed by his remarks, feel free to walk away.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:23 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by gogotl
What kind of BS is this? he paid for his car, he can bitch about it all he wants. when you had paid for his car, then you can tell him to shut up.
It's free speech here. if you are so annoyed by his remarks, feel free to walk away.

He paid for his car/warranty, etc. But if he doesnt do anything to take advantage of Acura's service department then he shouldnt complain. It would be much easier to take to the dealer first and see what kind of progress is made...if the dealer doesnt get much done he can bitch all he wants.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Cruisin'

if he chooses to bitch about it rather then getting it fixed, it's his choice. none of our business to tell him how to live his life. you chose to read his thread, he didnt send it to your email.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Racer

if he chooses to bitch about it rather then getting it fixed, it's his choice. none of our business to tell him how to live his life. you chose to read his thread, he didnt send it to your email.
It's his choice to bitch and moan, but if he's just going to do that, then it isn't necessary to make a thread about it. Bitching and moaning alone won't get his rattles fixed. People here are suggesting him to go to the dealer to get it fixed. They are helping him. It's better than not saying anything at all because then he'll bitch and moan more about how no one is helping him.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Racer

Make sure you all take heed of what Republican says....this is the same guy who was bitching about his gas mileage. According to his description of how much city/highway driving he does, he would get approximately 11 MPG in the city with a TL....which is total BS. If all the stuff this guy says about his car is true, he could have gotten his money back via the Lemon Law. Yet he does nothing, just whines.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:00 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

posting in a public forum allows for whatever feedback anyone feels necessary, mr. free speech
Old 05-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RepublicanTL
You would never see a Lexus like this, nor the other German makes, both of which I have owned in the past. Sacrificing quality for style and more standard options is a bad move on Acura's part. I know I won't be back to this make that is for sure.
15 mins of google search for lexus and bmw forums turned up rattles, squeaks, transmission wont shift and various other bitches including a dealer that wont fix a wrinkled leather seat in and IS300. pretty much any time you have a cronic complainer bitching and moaning and then commenting that another make wouldnt have any issues, you can rest assured it is bullshit. they dont want help fixing stuff because then they couldnt bitch...well, I guess they would find something...

normally, I wouldnt care cause I wouldnt waste time reading stupid "TL is a joke" type threads but there are good fixes in them sometimes.

these people are everywhere and just move from one make to another bitching and moaning, excercising their free speech. frankly, some people probably shouldnt be allowed to even buy cars...they give all cars a bad name...

free speech huh?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:49 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bottom line....take it to the dealer and ask to go for a ride with the service manager and bitch at him, he in return will agree with you or say that it's all normal...lol...or in your head...but seriously if I have an issue with my TL I come here to this site and search, ask and see if others have the same problem, after that I make an appointment and done deal....