Misbehaving Electronics - troubleshooting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010 | 09:15 AM
Instructor

Misbehaving Electronics - troubleshooting?

'06 TL auto. The problem began on Sunday when the alarm would randomly trigger. it went off a third time. My TL was outside so i decided to swap cars and put it in the garage thinking the rain was doing weird things to it. after a day inside i was going to use the car and then noticed certain things were not working.

-Keyless Entry
-Power Door Locks dont respond but do actuate to the unlock position when a door is shut.
-Turn Signals
-Park Lights won't work unless switch is in headlight on position.
-Wipers only work at one speed. Mist position does not work.
-Outside Air Temp reads '---'
-Dome lights behave randomly dimming and then turning on.
-HFL works normally.

i took the car battery in to be tested and the results were borderline. i figured since it was out i'd replace it. cleaned terminals and clamps reinstalled and the problems still persist. all fuses under dash and under hood check OK. the car went without battery power for about an hour when i ran to the parts store for a replacement.

my question is if there's anything else that i should try or look out for before i take it to the dealership?

TIA
Old 01-01-2011 | 01:16 PM
Racer

dude i had the same exact thing happened to me this morning!!!!! my battery is new, just replaced it a few months back, i bought one from the dealer... i also tried disconnecting the battery n letting it sit but the problem is still there... one thing i noticed is that my front driver side marker is very dim, and my windshild washer nozzles arent working either!!!!! i just worked a 17 hr shift n just got home so im gonna get some rest now n ill look into it later....let me know if u find a solution.... GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-01-2011 | 03:32 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by JETSPD1477
'06 TL auto. The problem began on Sunday when the alarm would randomly trigger. it went off a third time. My TL was outside so i decided to swap cars and put it in the garage thinking the rain was doing weird things to it. after a day inside i was going to use the car and then noticed certain things were not working.

-Keyless Entry
-Power Door Locks dont respond but do actuate to the unlock position when a door is shut.
-Turn Signals
-Park Lights won't work unless switch is in headlight on position.
-Wipers only work at one speed. Mist position does not work.
-Outside Air Temp reads '---'
-Dome lights behave randomly dimming and then turning on.
-HFL works normally.

i took the car battery in to be tested and the results were borderline. i figured since it was out i'd replace it. cleaned terminals and clamps reinstalled and the problems still persist. all fuses under dash and under hood check OK. the car went without battery power for about an hour when i ran to the parts store for a replacement.

my question is if there's anything else that i should try or look out for before i take it to the dealership?

TIA
Originally Posted by bigg_86
dude i had the same exact thing happened to me this morning!!!!! my battery is new, just replaced it a few months back, i bought one from the dealer... i also tried disconnecting the battery n letting it sit but the problem is still there... one thing i noticed is that my front driver side marker is very dim, and my windshild washer nozzles arent working either!!!!! i just worked a 17 hr shift n just got home so im gonna get some rest now n ill look into it later....let me know if u find a solution.... GOOD LUCK!
Hate to say it, but sounds like a bad MICU or ECM/PCM. Double check fuses #7 and #8 in the under dash fuse box. Actually pull them out and inspect them if you haven't already done this (pulled them). You'll need your NAVI code when you pull #7.

Check the passenger side carpet at the firewall for any moisture.
Old 01-01-2011 | 04:09 PM
Racer

""""My TL was outside so i decided to swap cars and put it in the garage thinking the rain was doing weird things to it. """"

thats weird you mention that, i was working valet at a private party n my car was park at a bridge over a creek, it was barely raining but there was a lot of fog in the area which was well surrounded by huge trees..
Old 01-01-2011 | 05:52 PM
Racer

I disconnected my battery for a few hours. Reconnected it after a few hours and everything was working again. After driving down the street the symptoms came back...taking the car to the dealer monday.
Old 01-28-2011 | 05:48 PM
Racer

bigg_86 what did the dealer say. I'm having similar issues on my 04. Will check fuses like mentioned above and for moisture also. Car sits outside and was covered by snow from the recent storm.
Old 01-28-2011 | 08:27 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by cherplex
bigg_86 what did the dealer say. I'm having similar issues on my 04...
Also check each of the battery cables on each end-- other members traced their problems to loose battery cable connections, esp. after a battery change-out.
Old 03-15-2011 | 09:16 PM
8th Gear

I am having this same exact problem, just started today. I have an 05 TL. Dunno wtf is going on with this pos car, but I've lost all respect for Acura when a car like this has this magnitude of failure. I'm already dealing with my driver's side actuator not working. I can't even drive this car now since it appears my rear defrost doesn't work either.

Things not working:
Fog Lights will not work.
Dash headlight indicator is out, but headlights turn on.
TURN SIGNALS DO NOT WORK.
Outside Temp Gauge is out.
Windshield wipers only work on max.
Gauges do not toggle between MAX BRIGHTNESS and normal brightness when I turn on the headlights - almost like the car doesn't know the lights are on.

This is complete BS, and shouldn't be happening.

Probably are other things not working, but that's the big stuff I've noticed thus far.
Old 03-15-2011 | 09:38 PM
8th Gear

Just discovered I cannot open my trunk either because my key fobs don't work anymore. I can't even open the rear doors of the car at this point without climbing back in there.
Old 03-16-2011 | 12:04 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ghostsixone
I am having this same exact problem, just started today. I have an 05 TL. Dunno wtf is going on with this pos car, but I've lost all respect for Acura when a car like this has this magnitude of failure. I'm already dealing with my driver's side actuator not working. I can't even drive this car now since it appears my rear defrost doesn't work either.

Things not working:
Fog Lights will not work.
Dash headlight indicator is out, but headlights turn on.
TURN SIGNALS DO NOT WORK.
Outside Temp Gauge is out.
Windshield wipers only work on max.
Gauges do not toggle between MAX BRIGHTNESS and normal brightness when I turn on the headlights - almost like the car doesn't know the lights are on.

This is complete BS, and shouldn't be happening.

Probably are other things not working, but that's the big stuff I've noticed thus far.
Have you checked fuses in both fuse boxes?
Old 03-16-2011 | 02:45 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Have you checked fuses in both fuse boxes?
I have, and they are bone dry, look just fine. I was initially concerned that perhaps water had gotten into one of them, but they seem just fine. Took a long hard look at both of them and can't see any issues. There is definitely something jacked up going on at some central location in the electrical system though - has to be to effect so many functions. Also, just tonight again everything is working fine. It's been raining hard here the last few days, but that's nothing unusual for washington state, and I can't explain for the life of me why all of a sudden this car would develop these issues.
Old 03-16-2011 | 07:05 AM
BANNED

this is basically the same thing that's happening with mine too, just started acting up randomly this past week.

let me know if you guys find a fix, otherwise i'm forced to go to the dealer and i really don't want to do that.
Old 03-16-2011 | 08:50 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ghostsixone
I have, and they are bone dry, look just fine. I was initially concerned that perhaps water had gotten into one of them, but they seem just fine. Took a long hard look at both of them and can't see any issues. There is definitely something jacked up going on at some central location in the electrical system though - has to be to effect so many functions. Also, just tonight again everything is working fine. It's been raining hard here the last few days, but that's nothing unusual for washington state, and I can't explain for the life of me why all of a sudden this car would develop these issues.
No, I said fuses, not fuse boxes. Actually pull out the fuse and check it.