Low rattle/vibration from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low rattle/vibration from engine bay

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on the site, though i have been around on it before without an account, doing research on other issues or simply reading forum posts. The most recent post i was helped by was the post that stopped subwoofer rattle by stuffing terry cloth/any thick-ish insulation near the back deck behind the liner.

I love the community here that i've seen, regularly being friendly and always helpful, and i hope someone can help me.

My vehicle is a 2005 TL, i've had it for a few months, and it had several owners before me, so i'm unsure of the maintenance history on it, though it doesn't seem like it was treated too well.

The main issue i'm having, is this odd, low rattle/low vibration coming from the engine bay. It goes away when the rpm's are brought above ~1500-2300, but comes right back once idle drops. It also gets worse/much more audible when i turn the wheel, regardless of direction.

I've heard it could be the heatshield, but i'm not sure. For a little while i thought i had it pinpointed as the radiator fan housing, since it also seemed like it would get worse when i'd put the AC or heat on, however now the rattle will occur even if neither of the fans are moving.

The type of vibration varies as well, sometimes it vibrates/rattles quicker and at a slightly higher pitch for a second or 2, then goes back down to the low rattle/vibration. Other times, it'll completely go away for up to 5-10 minutes.

The only major repair, and one moderate repair that i know needs to be done is one of the front control arms, the bushing is torn and completely mashed, and the other one is almost there as well. I was recommended by a mechanic to simply replace both front control arms entirely, since labor to get the bushings out will kill me if i do it, or my wallet if i have someone else do it, not to mention the other bushing is going to go soon. I also read on here if i am to do it myself it would be best if i get the new control arm and bushings, and have them pressed at a machining shop.

The vehicle has over 170,000 miles but the actual motor is still strong as a tank, that is a common theme i've heard with TL's, the motors are near impossible to kill unless you *really* don't take care of it.

Sorry for what seems like may be a long post, trying to include as much information as i can. If i'm able i will try to post a video of the rattle later today, though i have a lot to do.

Thank you
Old 07-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 127 Posts
Most likely cat heat shield is rattling, I have the same issue
Old 07-23-2018, 09:07 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 90foxnotch
Most likely cat heat shield is rattling, I have the same issue
Actually forgot to mention in the initial post, that is another moderate/major repair i need to do. The bottom of the cat shield was taken off by the mechanic that looked at it. It was half broke and hanging and would sometimes scrape on the ground since the car is so low.

I've made sure to not park over any grass or leaves, as i've heard it can start fires given how hot the cat gets.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 127 Posts
From what Ive read the bushings youre referring to are the compliance bushings, obviously it would be a lot easier to get new parts that are already assembled but I am not sure on how much a set of new control arms would cost. Luckily my dad has a press so I can usually tackle those jobs. Good luck with the maintenace
Old 07-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
FWIW: Might be a good idea, to invest $5.00, in a cheap, Harbor Freight type stethoscope. Than, try isolating the noise, from the top, under the hood. If you can't pinpoint it from above, put the front end, up on ramps, and check from the bottom!
The following users liked this post:
Commander Freedom (07-27-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 03:40 PM
9th Gear

Hi any luck with solving this issue? I'm having the same exact problem on my 07 AT TL Base.. I already checked the cat heat shield around the cat and i have it clamped down pretty good... My rattle only happens from 1500 rpm to roughly a 2300 rpm. If I accelerate hard most time this will bypass the rattle. I can hear the rattle riding in different gears but only around those same rpms. Any help would be greatly appreciated since this has been driving me crazy. thanks
Old 08-01-2018, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
I would check the heat shields on both the pre cats and the 3rd cat itself. Sounds like one of those is loose. As for the compliance bushings you can make a tool for around $45-$50 that aids in replacing them yourself. If this is what you are talking about try this: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p.../#post14334091 (starts at post #910)