Leather Seat Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leather Seat Repair

I've got a tear in the front passenger seat of my '08 TL (black leather interior) that I need to address before it gets worse and I could use some advice. Money is tight right now, so I'd like to avoid spending hundreds (or more) on replacement upholstery or seat covers.

I'm inclined to take off the seat cover and apply some heavy black duct tape to the backside of the tear.

Has anyone done that and had success (or not)?

I'm looking at this post and this video as guides on how to remove the seats and the covers. But I'm not clear on the hog rings. Do I cut them to remove them, then replace them with new hog rings?

Are there other budget options I ought to consider?

Thanks!

Last edited by 08TLNewbie; 06-22-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: turning off embeds
Old 06-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Take a look at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for used seats.
Depending on your location, maybe find a black seat as they have ssome listed as low as $55.
If you take the seat apart for any reason, cut the hog rings and install new with hog ring pliers, or in a pinch, regular plies using some finesse.
The following users liked this post:
08TLNewbie (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:48 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
autocustomleathers.com can send you a replacement seat area cover made to exact factory specs and color for $215 + shipping.
I got my seat replacements from them, excellent quality!
08TLNewbie (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
I had this exact issue on my passenger side but on 2 spots. I took a piece of leather that matched the taupe in the Type S and cut a square a few cm larger than the rip. Stuffed it into the hole gently without ripping more of the leather (flat head screw driver helps) and then dabbed the GEL super glue around the edges under the flap and then again along the crease. They're holding up really well and you can't tell until you get up really close and rub your finger over it.
08TLNewbie (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Use the super glue sparingly. But don't cheap out either. Use something else other than your finger to dab down otherwise the glue will come through the perforated holes and stick your finger.
The thought of removing the leather is madness and will take several hours. Cost to me was a bit of super glue i already had lying around plus a piece of leather to match. Luckily I had a piece of the exact same leather from another seat. This will keep the rip from spreading and hide the ugly foam.
I don't see the value in reupholstering, I'm rather on the lookout for part out cars. Spot repairs are also expensive considering the other areas that may start to rip after. I'll do my own spot treatments until I desperately need a replacement seat. 4 bolts and the seat is out vs playing with all those hooks and springs.

Last edited by WDPanda; 06-23-2017 at 12:06 AM.
08TLNewbie (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 06:23 AM
10th Gear

Thanks

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Take a look at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for used seats.
Depending on your location, maybe find a black seat as they have ssome listed as low as $55.
If you take the seat apart for any reason, cut the hog rings and install new with hog ring pliers, or in a pinch, regular plies using some finesse.
Thanks! I found one near me for less than $100. I emailed the salvage yard to see if they still have it. If it's in decent shape, that seems like the best option.

Originally Posted by DMZ
autocustomleathers.com can send you a replacement seat area cover made to exact factory specs and color for $215 + shipping.
Thanks! I'll check them out.

Originally Posted by WDPanda
I had this exact issue on my passenger side but on 2 spots. I took a piece of leather that matched the taupe in the Type S and cut a square a few cm larger than the rip. Stuffed it into the hole gently without ripping more of the leather (flat head screw driver helps) and then dabbed the GEL super glue around the edges under the flap and then again along the crease. They're holding up really well and you can't tell until you get up really close and rub your finger over it.
Great idea. I may give that a try before pursuing other options.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

To avoid a mess, this is the best glue. It stays fresh for years as a bonus:
08TLNewbie (06-24-2017)
Old 03-05-2023, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

Is this an operational company?

Originally Posted by DMZ
The website says that they are under construction. Anybody have a phone number?
Old 03-06-2023, 02:35 AM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by dp777usa
The website says that they are under construction. Anybody have a phone number?
They closed their business.
Old 04-30-2023, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Cheapo
They closed their business.

i got my seats completely redone (the middle section that cracks) at a car upholstery shop. $350