Key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:12 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Key stuck in ignition

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to this so please forgive me if I don't do everything exaxctly right yet.

This morning I backed into my driveway and when I tried to take the key out of the ignition it would not come out and the
Steering wheel also would not lock. Has this happened to anyone else before and if so can you help me out?

Car : 06 Acura TL W/ Navigation
Old 06-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
While I haven't seen this issue on a TL I have seen it on plenty of other cars.

Suggestions:
  • Make sure the transmission, I'm assuming an Automatic, is in the Park position before trying to turn the key to the "Lock (0)" position.
  • If you cannot turn the key all of the way counter-clockwise to the "Lock (0)" position, try slowly turning the steering wheel in each direction while gently to coax the key into position zero.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:29 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your response but No luck yet!

I've tried going in both directions with the key and jiggling the key as I go and it does not seam to want to release.

I saw something on Google about a switch under the gearshift that may not be engaging causing the car to not think it's in Park.

I took apart the center console so that I could see down under the shifter but I don't see a switch.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the key returning to the position you put it in or is it stuck in acc or further up but car off? one of the tumblers might have gotten stuck.