Key goes in ignition but does not turn. Ignition locked?

Old 02-13-2016, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key goes in ignition but does not turn. Ignition locked?

So I have no idea what the problem is but I went to go start my 2008 Acura TL Type S today and the key was a little sticky getting it into the ignition but after playing around with it for a bit I managed to get the key fully inserted. I tried taking pressure off the steering wheel, releasing my gears so I could move them around and put the car back into park, even disconnecting the battery just to see if it would flip a sensor or anything but nothing. The key goes into the ignition smoothly now jut still I can't get the key to move. Even tried the spare key.. just wondering if maybe my ignitions the problem or if there was some other trick I could do to get the key to turn.. any suggestions?
Old 02-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryley
I tried taking pressure off the steering wheel, releasing my gears so I could move them around and put the car back into park,
If I read this correctly did you actually try moving the shift lever out of Park?
I'm curious how you could move the shift lever without turning the ignition key on?
Old 02-24-2016, 11:34 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
If I read this correctly did you actually try moving the shift lever out of Park?
I'm curious how you could move the shift lever without turning the ignition key on?
There is a little plastic cover to the left of the gear shift. Pry that out and insert the key into the hole. It releases the shift lever and allows you to shift the transmission. I believe it's called the shift lock release.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
This happened to me once before, I had something blocking my gear shifter. Even though it was small item, because it was not allowing the gear shifter to sit all the way into park my key was stuck.

So make sure nothing is obstructing your gear shifter, and if that is ok, try turning your wheel a bit, move it left and right and try to pop the key out at the same time

Search this Thread