interior lights going out

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 04:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interior lights going out

The emergency flasher switch in the interior is no longer lighting up. Is there a way to DIY on the bulb replacement. I have had 5 different dash / wheel bulbs replaced by Acura. Its a big hassle with take it in and my car is no longer under warranty. Any DIY instructions with photos? What about the bulbs for the other indicators. I have read quite a few owners have had bulbs going out.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Wild Child

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yeah. Im having the same problem. My seat heater switch stopped illuminating about six months after first purchasing. 04TL and now my hazard switch doesnt light up. and the drivers side temp control doesnt light anymore. This sucks. And it sucks that no one else has replied to this forum.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
'04 TL AT

you know what, it really does suck that nobody has posted in here. various of the lights on various interior parts of my car (emergency flasher, most if not all of my steering wheel lights, seat heater lights, etc.) have gone out. if im not mistaken, the vol and chan buttons on my steering wheel are not lighting up currently. luckily i still have my extended warranty but its getting pretty annoying to have to return to my dealer every couple of weeks for them to fix them. do you happen to know if the trunk button is supposed to light up? i cant remember either way, and i asked them last time, to which they said that they believed it did not. some confirmation would be appreciated.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ Can't answer about your '04...but the trunk light in my '07 TLS lights up red.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Team Secretary of Housing

Originally Posted by deuxprop
you know what, it really does suck that nobody has posted in here. various of the lights on various interior parts of my car (emergency flasher, most if not all of my steering wheel lights, seat heater lights, etc.) have gone out. if im not mistaken, the vol and chan buttons on my steering wheel are not lighting up currently. luckily i still have my extended warranty but its getting pretty annoying to have to return to my dealer every couple of weeks for them to fix them. do you happen to know if the trunk button is supposed to light up? i cant remember either way, and i asked them last time, to which they said that they believed it did not. some confirmation would be appreciated.
Hi deuxprop,
I too have a few bulbs out. When I brought it to the dealer I was told it would be almost $200 per bulb to replace. I was also told the extended warranty doesn't cover them. How did you get your's covered? I appreciate your input.
For the others responding, I am unaware of a diy description of an easy way to replace them.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:07 PM
'04 TL AT

Originally Posted by brucedeb1
Hi deuxprop,
I too have a few bulbs out. When I brought it to the dealer I was told it would be almost $200 per bulb to replace. I was also told the extended warranty doesn't cover them. How did you get your's covered? I appreciate your input.
For the others responding, I am unaware of a diy description of an easy way to replace them.
well hmm, i dunno if its the extended warranty that covers it (is that what you get with a certified vehicle?, because mine is certified). Anyway, I just took it in and said all these lights have gone out. I've been back a couple of times and they have never given me any problems. If you have various bulbs that have gone out I would suggest complaining to the superiors of the person who told you that. The fact that the bulbs have gone out so soon is plain ridiculous.

let me know how things go.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own a 04 TL. I've owned this car for 3 yrs and since my ownership a few lights on my steering wheel have been replaced under warranty, the max button light have been replaced, my temp lights for seat have been replaced.

My temp lights and mode light to the right side of my navigation screen blew. I took my car in to get the 3 lights replaced. My service advisor tells me the replacement lights didnt work they have to order a special piece. I forgot the word he called this item. Very strange when he told me this. When the part comes in they will call me so I can set up new appt to bring my car in. The sun goes down and I notice while in my car all the lights around the nav screen are off, but every other light still works. By this observation I knew the technician must have broken something, but of course they won't admit to there mistake. Well today I go to the Acura dealership and the service advisor said they had to replace the entire nav screen which would of cost me $1600. Dam if I was out of warranty they probably would have tried to charge me all that to fix 3 dam lights, yeah right. Right now I have a brand new Nav screen with the sticker on top stating "Press load wait for green light then insert disc."

I do notice the lights in our cars blow very easily. I am going to keep the lights dim so they wont burn out as fast. That is my best option to avoid this from happening in the future. These bulbs should be leds. I thought they were when I first bought the car, salesman lied to me about that or he didnt know what the hell he was talking about, but oh well all my lights work now.

Btw the trunk button suppose to light up. The glove compartment also . I had that light replaced once and I believe it blew again. I'm not worrying about that one anymore.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I just came from my car to see if all my lights are functioning. All of them are except my trunk button light and now I give up. No more running back to the dealership for these dam lights to get replaced.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Wild Child

Originally Posted by WDP-Acura TL
I just came from my car to see if all my lights are functioning. All of them are except my trunk button light and now I give up. No more running back to the dealership for these dam lights to get replaced.
I have never noticed the trunk button to illuminate. Strange, seems like I would remember.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Wild Child

also, that was a good point about keeping the interior lights low. I like to keep mine maxed out for some immature reason. But I think I might just do that.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Just a suggestion - If you have to take something apart to replace a bulb, replace all the bulbs for what you have apart. Maybe that goes without saying, but I thought I'd chime in.
Saving a couple bucks now isn't worth doing the job again later.
Maybe you could even pay for the additional bulbs if they fixed the bad ones under warranty?
Old 08-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by wildchild_8635
also, that was a good point about keeping the interior lights low. I like to keep mine maxed out for some immature reason. But I think I might just do that.
Keeping them lower allows you to see better at night, too.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 PM
'04 TL AT

just as an update to this... today i took my TL in and told them about the lights that went out on my steering wheel (VOL and CHAN buttons).

since this had happened before, they went ahead and replaced the entire button panel (one of the two silver components on the steering wheel) which houses the mode, chan, and vol buttons. i haven't driven it at night yet, but it seemed to work when i cupped my hand over that part of the steering wheel. i hope nothing else goes out.

as an aside, would anybody be able to state with certainty that their trunk release button lights up? no relying on memory, please if it does, i'd like to make sure i point this out next time i take my car in....but only if im completely sure it lights up.

thanks, guys.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Wild Child

Originally Posted by 6spMike
Keeping them lower allows you to see better at night, too.
Point well taken.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Yes, trunk release button light up.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Racer

I gave up on mine. Since I bought my car a year ago. I've had all but 1 go out in the steering wheel. The VSA button no longer lights up. Passenger seat heat switch went out. Had them all replaced. Then I loose the trunk button after its pressed. Select/Reset button and < > Had those replaced.
Currently the VSA light is burned out, the Back button lights for the bluetooth and navi and dead also. The + - and MAX brightness.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Trying to be cautious and prevent my interior lights from blowing out, I was unable to succeed for to long. I kept my interior lights at a dim setting so the lights wouldnt burn out. Ha, it didnt work. my volume and ch buttons on my steering blew out and the memory 2 button blew out recently. I give up, they should have installed L.E.D. bulbs , but I bet ya the new 09 TL will have them.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:26 PM
10th Gear

Replaced 4 of my steering wheel lights today. Very easy and very satisfying. Thanks much Acurazine!!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:27 AM
3rd Gear

lights out

I too have experienced the light going out on the steering wheel as well as the seat warmer lamp. Recently the hazard light does not flash. It lights up when the interior lights are turned on with the headlights but it does not flash as I thought it used to. Am I correct that the hazard button is suppose to flash when depressed? The service manager kept telling me that it's not suppose to flash.

I have an '04 TL
Old 10-25-2007, 10:02 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mtozer
I too have experienced the light going out on the steering wheel as well as the seat warmer lamp. Recently the hazard light does not flash. It lights up when the interior lights are turned on with the headlights but it does not flash as I thought it used to. Am I correct that the hazard button is suppose to flash when depressed? The service manager kept telling me that it's not suppose to flash.

I have an '04 TL
The switch on my 04 doesn't flash. Don't recall that it ever did.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltflint
Replaced 4 of my steering wheel lights today. Very easy and very satisfying. Thanks much Acurazine!!

Do you have any instructions on how to replace the steering wheel bulbs and the size bulbs I'll need?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltflint
Can you post the link where you found how to replace steering wheel/interior lights.
Or advice us. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mtozer

I have an '04 TL
Crap, mine does not light up at all or blink. This interior lights are getting on my nerves. My 01 Jetta has similar # of interior red lights and every single one of them works. Please advice on how to replace these lights. Gotta go to work, can't access Azine at work, hope someone can provide some knowledge or link. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:49 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by LudaChris
Can you post the link where you found how to replace steering wheel/interior lights.
Or advice us. Thanks a lot.
It was really easy. I just followed the information at this link: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146748

There is a link on this page that shows part numbers for the required bulbs.

It was not at all difficult and I am far from a seasoned wrencher. Disconnect the battery, wait 3 minutes, disconnect the airbag connector at the bottom of the steering wheel. Remove the two torx bolts that secure the airbag then remove the steering wheel switches by removing the screws at the back of the steering wheel. Replace the bulbs and the installation is the reverse of the removal. I know that the diagram may look intimidating, but it is really easy. Took me less than an hour from start to finish. Biggest issue I had was unscrewing the two torx bolts holding in the airbag. They are very tight. Ended up using my cordless screwgun and had no other problems. I guess that's why the diagram shows using a ratchet and socket which should work just as well.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:15 AM
Advanced

Got it Thanks. Any one knows how to change the VGA and emergency flasher? Does it just pop out? I tried but didn't want to force it out til I'm sure. Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Racer

interior lights are covered under warrenty. i have an 04 tl and i have had my hazard light, driver side heat controls, steeruing wheel lights and home link lights go out. all were replaced free of charge and they are occured at different times. was never given a problem. i got my car from acura of westchester. they have never given me a problem, this is my 4th car from them.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:04 PM
6th Gear

We have a 2005, and have not had a single bulb fail yet.
If I lost a lot of bulbs, I might check the voltage the car is running at, its odd that a lot of bulbs would fail early....

Brett
Old 11-15-2007, 05:04 AM
10th Gear

Ok, My Acura Loving' peers out there...... this is how I changed my interior steering wheel lights (Bulbs...) in my 2004 ACURA TL

- You HAVE to remove the AIRBAG to change any of the bulbs on the steering wheel.... (pictures below)

Here are the steps....

1. You first have to remove the negative from the battery (unhook the battery)

2. You then have to remove the airbag plug from under the steering wheel. There is a compartment on the bottom of the steering you need to open and remove (separate) the yellow plugs in it

3. Unscrew the two screws (THE BIG HOLES) on both sides of the airbag (THIS IS THE TOUGHEST PART OF THE WHOLE EXERCISE)

4. Once you're done... the airbag should come loose and then depending on which bulbs are out...(the Cruise Control lights on the right OR the Radio volume and channel station control light) you can unscrew the silver unit from the back of the wheel and once that Unit comes loose it will pull out .... you flip it over and change whichever bulb is out....!

Then do everything you did in reverse and iput it back together.....

PICTURES BELOW.....

HOPE THIS HELPS MY FELLOW ACURA LOVIN' PEERS OUT THERE....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT HESITATE TO FLASH OR HONK WHEN YOU SEE ME OUT THERE.....!!!!!!

BE CAREFUL NOT TO FORCE ANYTHING COZ IT WILL BREAK.... IF YOU UNSCREW IT IT SHOULD COME OUT EASILY....

AGAIN... DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING....!

ALL THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS MY FELLOW ACURA LOVIN' PEERS OUT THERE....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT HESITATE TO FLASH OR HONK WHEN YOU SEE ME OUT THERE.....!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 AM
10th Gear

HERE ARE THE BULBS!!!!!! HOPE IT HELPS OUT

The following users liked this post:
lomickj (09-24-2011)
Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Nice post, aradagebeya. Do you know how to change the bulbs in the buttons for the HFL and the Voice Commands? I just lost two lights in those buttons.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
you have to take out the airbag (one screw on each side of housing-TORX screws), unplug the switch assembly for HFL and remove the screws holding it in. Remove the switch assembley from the car and replace the bulbs.

Do a search for airbag removal and have at it. It's not difficult, maybe a little intimidating to a novice (not to say you are). I did it in about 20 minutes the second time I took it apart and 30 minutes the first time. Good luck. Just remember to unhook the battery and wait the prescribed time for the SRS to discharge.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Instructor

I'm noticing one light after another. I recently had my left side mode bulb and the steering wheel volume control replaced. And its blown again.

so far... what bulb needs replacing:
-VSA
-Truck Release
-Left Side Mode
-Home Link #1 Button
-A/C Hight/Low Button

Question.. Does the L/R Mirror button suppose to light up??
Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

I have had 4 bulbs blow out on me over a period of 2.5 weeks. Cruise Control, Trunk Release, VSA, and Bluetooth/Voice Activation all blew out on me. I just picked up my 4 bulbs and 2 replacement airbag screws for 40+ bucks. Anyone know where to buy replacement bulbs at less than 8 bucks the dealer charges for each bulb?!?!

Nip
Old 01-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I got mine from Newark electronics. I matched up the specs from the oem bulb (ran on a power supply to get current draw ect.) with the specs in the catalog and came up with a replacement. Cost was $8 or so for 10 lamps. So far I have about 6 months on them with no issues. I replaced all the seat heat switch lamps, all the steering wheel control switch lamps, the MID control switch lamps, and the ones for the brightness on the instrument panel. Go to www.newark.com. They are made my SPC Technology. I don't have the P/N handy at this time.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by wildchild_8635
yeah. Im having the same problem. My seat heater switch stopped illuminating about six months after first purchasing. 04TL and now my hazard switch doesnt light up. and the drivers side temp control doesnt light anymore. This sucks. And it sucks that no one else has replied to this forum.
Those are the exact 3 lights I have out right now! The driver's side heater switch light was replaced 2 years ago. Dealer said they replaced the whole switch to get it done under warranty.

I now have a couple of thousand miles left on my extended warranty. If Acura thinks they're gonna get several hundred out of me to replace them all, all hell is gonna break loose.