Installing a Transmission cooler on '04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing a Transmission cooler on '04 TL

I planning to do all my work on the transmission in one day and need some advice or opinions.

I purchased the 3rd and 4th switches along with filter

I purchased a B&M transmission cooler and also the Redline racing atf 2 regular and 1 lightweight mix for a 3x3.

Im in NYC should and if i do it all at once i dont think 3 isnt enough for the cooler, i may need a extra bottle. should i add more light weight or regular racing atf?

Also i should add the inline extra filter to the cooler while im at it? I read that some people take out the factory filter and just use the inline filter? Does anyone use both filters?

If anyones has this done alrdy what kind of mix you running? and how cool does it make the fluid? will i have issues if it gets too cool?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by cmoy1122
I planning to do all my work on the transmission in one day and need some advice or opinions.

I purchased a B&M transmission cooler and also the Redline racing atf 2 regular and 1 lightweight mix for a 3x3.

Im in NYC should and if i do it all at once i dont think 3 isnt enough for the cooler, i may need a extra bottle. should i add more light weight or regular racing atf?

Also i should add the inline extra filter to the cooler while im at it? I read that some people take out the factory filter and just use the inline filter? Does anyone use both filters?

If anyones has this done alrdy what kind of mix you running? and how cool does it make the fluid? will i have issues if it gets too cool?

Thanks
I think what you're doing for your trans is a great idea.

Don't worry about the mixture of lightweight and regular racing ATF too much. If it makes you feel better in your cold climate to do more lighweight than regular, go for it, it won't hurt a thing either way.

I originally did the external magnefine filter when I did my cooler. This was before it was common knowledge that the TL had an internal filter. I ran it that way from around 40,000 miles to recently around 97,000 miles when I removed the factory filter. IMO it's just another potential restriction so I would get it out of there but obviously you don't have to. That way you only have one filter to service and it's easier than the factory filter.

Depending on the size of the cooler, one quart extra will be more than enough to make up for the volume. You probably won't use more than 3/4 quart.

It's really hard to overcool a trans. Mechanically you can't hurt it by running too cool. The worst that will happen is the ECU won't want to engage the TCC. Mine will begin engaging at pretty low temps so I doubt you have anything to worry about. I've had mine in 4 winters with the cooler and no issues.

A great feature of the B&M coolers is it will restrict fluid flow through the cooler and divert it through the large two upper tubes so it's nearly impossible for it to dip under 160 degrees.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the answer, I decided to do the 3x3 first and get most of the z1 fluid out first before i put the cooler.

I purchased the cooler recommended in the diy from the garage B&M 70264 (14,400 BTU 11"x6"x1-1/2").

I have this done sometime over the next few weeks so i can drive it between drains.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Cruisin'

Just an update, I did my first flush today the ATF fill bolt was a pain to get off. I was planning to do the filter and switches also but i didnt have get enough time to. Checked the stick and the fluid its between the 2 marks, drops to a little above lower mark after idling for 2 mins.

Drove it the rest of the night and noticed it holding in gears longer then before, smoother gear changes.

I did notice a light shudder on the inital start at low gears right after the flush driving 5 mins or so, Is this normal? It only happened once and i drove about 45miles today city and highway, hasnt happened again.

Im going to do my 2nd flush next weekend and maybe get to the switches and filters. and install the cooler on last flush.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ATF cooler
I guess the colder oil just increases pressure in the small part and the hotter oil can then move through the larger part.

B&M recommends that the cooler should not be installed with the hose barbs facing down, and if the hose barbs are to the side then the inlet should be the bottom barb. Or the bypass might not work correctly

From B&M
The Super-Coolers intended for automatic transmission fluid also offer an additional feature known as “Low Pressure Drop”. The coolers assembled with hose barb ends include a unique bypass feature allowing a controlled amount of ATF to bypass the stacked plate core when the fluid is cold. This is beneficial in cold climate areas to guard against lube system failure. Controlled by viscosity, fluid is returned directly to the lube circuit through bypass openings in the stacked plate core. As the temperature increases, more ATF is directed through the core.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Where did you guys mount your coolers?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Siouxpernatural

How expensive was the cooler (B&m)...?
The following users liked this post:
mdburbank (06-24-2014)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Here is one DIY I found.......

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ion+cooler+DIY

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 05-22-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how much fluid did it take after installing cooler?

Originally Posted by cmoy1122

Thanks

how much fluid did it end up taking after Cooler. 4 quarts
Old 11-14-2018, 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
not sure he would remember 6 years ago...................