If the drivers airbag pops..

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
If the drivers airbag pops..

..does it mess up the clock spring too? A salvage yard told me today if the airbag pops, the clock spring won't work.

True?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
don't see how it would affect the CS....
Old 03-10-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
not normally, it wouldnt mess it up. although in a collision, you never know what parts are damaged from the sudden deceleration
Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
..does it mess up the clock spring too? A salvage yard told me today if the airbag pops, the clock spring won't work.

True?
It should be fine, but remember in an accident the seatbelts need to be replaced if the airbag goes off.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Yea the seat belts need to be replaced and the srs unit could possibly need replacing as well and most likely that impact sensor that caused the drivers bag to blow off unless it blew off due to sum body messing around with it that doesn't know what there doing but as far as the spiral cable I don't think you will need to replace it unless it became damaged

Last edited by 3RDGENTL757; 03-11-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I wasn't in a wreck. But if I buy clock spring from a car that was wrecked, and the steering wheel airbag popped, that is the situation. 1 salvage yard says, can't do that.. And I read on ebay where another salvage yard said "we can't guarentee the clock spring (cable reel) to work". So, I'm picking up bad vibes.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 03-11-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:00 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
In most cases due to the SRS system, it's always suggested to replace the clock spring in case there is a failure after a deployment. Just like seat belts and SRS units are replaced.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
In most cases due to the SRS system, it's always suggested to replace the clock spring in case there is a failure after a deployment. Just like seat belts and SRS units are replaced.
The clock spring is a ribbon cable. How would air bag deployment cause it to fail? Are they saying that heat could damage the cable?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
The clock spring is a ribbon cable. How would air bag deployment cause it to fail? Are they saying that heat could damage the cable?
Back when I was going to school and they made us take the SRS classes they told us to replace them. I found the article that was in our text books.

What does an Airbag Clockspring do?
An Airbag Clockspring is an assembly that contains a spirally wound flat ribbon to allow the steering wheel to be turned while maintaining a constant electrical connection to the driver airbag, horn and other electrical steering wheel mounted controls.

Where is the Airbag Clockspring located?
The Airbag Clockspring is mounted on the steering column and can be usually found under the steering wheel.

Will a malfunctioning Airbag Clockspring illuminate the check engine light or affect vehicle operation?
A defective or failing Airbag Clockspring will not affect engine operation but will trigger the SRS light indicating a system fault and compromised vehicle safety.

What are the common causes of failure?
Typically Airbag Clocksprings are replaced after the airbag has deployed due to an accident or for mechanical failure of the assembly body or ribbon.

How to determine if the Airbag Clockspring is malfunctioning?
Unusual noise when turning the steering wheel in either direction, intermittent electrical connections to the steering wheel mounted controls or the SRS light illuminated on the dash are all indicators that the clockspring has malfunctioned. Testing should only be performed with an appropriate diagnostic tool to determine the cause of the problem. Removal should be done by a professional and only after the battery has been disconnected followed by a timed electrical system discharge.

Q. What do I need to replace when my airbags deploy?

From 1989-1993: you will need to replace only the drivers airbag and either reprogram or replace the control module and replace damaged impact sensors and clockspring. (If Needed)
How driver airbags work?
From 1994-2000: (roughly) By now most cars come equipped with both drivers and passenger airbag and therefore both must be replaced. You must also reprogram or replace the controls module and replace damaged impact sensors and clockspring. (If Needed) How passenger airbags work?
From 2001-Present: Manufactures began to implement dual stage deployment airbags (smart airbags) along with seat, side, curtain, knee and foot airbags. Also, seat belt pre-tensioners were developed and are now a regular part of the SRS system.
With the advent of smart airbags the only airbags that deploy is determined by the placement of the occupants in the car and on which side of the vehicle the impact occurred.
(Varies by model) Head-on collision requires that you replace both front airbags and either reprogram or replace the control module. As well as replace damaged impact sensors and clock-spring (If Needed.) Both seat belts will also need to be replaced. As well as knee and foot airbags if equipped on your vehicle.
(Varies by model)Impacts that involve side collision will require in addition to the above side airbags and curtain airbags when equipped on your vehicle.

Typically, what happens is, after a deployment the clock spring has a 50/50 chance of being damged. The ribbon can get shorted out by the process of sending the voltage signal up the harness to a very small ribbon to fire the igniter for the airbag. Sometimes the Igniter would short out the clock spring after deployment. I've seen where the violent explosion of one going off breaks the ribbon. Another thing is a new clock spring is set in the box with tape so you don't over turn it and damage the ribbon. Buying one used he may run into the issue of the clock may have been damaged during removal and or shipping. I personally hated working on SRS units, with all these damn Recalls with the 2nd Gen TL igniter issues and even the 2012-13 MDX models having faulty curtain side airbags.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
This guy is spot on. If you have an air bag deployment you also have to replace the SRS Computer too. I know it does not pertain to this guy but you need to do your research before you just throw air bags back into a car that wrecked.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
In some of the Hondas I've had the ribbon in the clockspring comes out when the airbag pops.

I've always wondered though if the clock springs that weren't damaged when the airbag deployed were re usable.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME EXACTLY WHERE THE FRONT SRS SENSOR IS AT THOUGH? It's usually in the front on the side of the rail on all Hondas I've owned, but now that I'm here I might as well ask.