Idling frustration builds...need advice beside replacing throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:02 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idling frustration builds...need advice beside replacing throttle body

Need help in finding out what is wrong, and cheap troubleshoots to do next.

This problem has been persisting for over a month!!

Consistent issues that I have encountered
the engine while in drive -
when slowing down in traffic towards a low idle
or stopped at red light idling the engine would die out..

The tachometer while idling at a light will dance at 750 rpm or below and straddle the line at times to 500 rpm. Once below 500 there it dies with no engine errors. All electronics still run radio light just the engine dies.

The standing idle after start has been has lowered to 750 instead of a more peppy 850-800.

Driving habits, I drive 95% of the time with tiptronic and my style of driving is an aggressive cruise. In other words I accelerate aggressively, to cruising speed. Tried driving in automatic for the past week and still the same problem.

What I have done so far, took the car to the garage and cleaned out the throttle body along with the iacv. Same day out of the garage the problem persists, shortly after the cleaning job and error code appeared. Brought it back to garage and now they say I need to replace the throttle body. I had bought seafoam and wanted to put it through but didnt get the chance.

I want to get some advice and in what else I can try to trouble shoot before throwing more money into the pit.

04 TL - had the transmission rebuilt twice
with roughly 75k miles.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
i would say O2 sensors ? spark plugs ? coils ? IACV ?

do you have any intake/exhaust mods ?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM
7th Gear

no mods as stock as can be had an engine check recently and spark plugs are good for awhile longer and iacv was just cleaned out. Probably check on the O2 sensor.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:38 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
check on the o2 sensor....

my car idles very very rough (coz i installed the o2 sensor wrong after i did my PCD's) and has the same problem u mentioned....but it doesnt die out....
Old 05-26-2011, 05:45 PM
7th Gear

got back from the garage with the error code produced. It is p1201 and searching the forums I havent been able to get a thread on this problem. From the explanation from the mechanic there is problem with the throttle body. Can I get a confirmation to this? I need to know does this make sense to the problem I have been experiencing and what are my option for the throttle body. Can i get a refab aftermarket anything since getting it new is going to cost me over a grand. Any input appreciated.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
You sure it's p1201? Was that the only code? Was there a P 0300 or P0301 also....and did you get a MIL on the dash?

P1201 is "Fuel system failure caused #1 cylinder misfire". First time I remember seeing anyone with that code...

Could be a bad injector for #1 cylinder or loose connection/short in injector harness...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 05-26-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 PM
7th Gear

I am going to have to check with the mechanic on the error message again. I had also in the mean time paid to live chat with a master acura mechanic. Based on the history of problems I have experienced so far. He is in agreement that the problem is indeed with the throttle body. Pressed for more information he simply does not know. Since the problem is beyond simple mechanics and is rather a marriage of mechanics and sensory input that makes up this new fly by wire throttle body technology. I have had a chance to check online for acura part and have found that 05-07ish honda accords used the same throttle body assembly so instead of having to buy a new one I was going to search for a used part from honda. I had asked for the frequency of such a type of failure, it isnt common but does happen. So when it comes to the failure of such parts really it is a hit and a miss. I will keep yall up to date further with more information.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 PM
7th Gear

another interesting thing I heard from this online paid acura mastermechanic, is he told me that seafoam is a terrible thing to do since it is harmful to O2 sensor. I had contradicted after saying that having read the label of the various seafoam products they all said that they are O2 sensor save. I just want to check on the validity of his concern since it does go a bit towards the confidence comfort with his advise and suggestions.