Howling sound from front end of '06 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howling sound from front end of '06 TL

Hey Gang, I tried searching and couldn't find a thread for this on AZine, I need your expert advice. I have an '06 TL with 98K miles (automatic transmission), starting at about 35MPH, when I have my foot on the gas (not accelerating, just maintaining speed), I can hear a howling sound coming from the front of my car. I noticed this a while ago (probably at around 60K miles, but didn't think anything of it, its gotten a little louder, but its still not really noticeable (if I have my radio on, I can't hear a thing).

Strange, the sound is only there when I have my foot on the gas (I know its there on the 2 higher gears, I haven't tried manually forcing it into a gear to see if its still there - I think if I try it in second the engine sound will drown it out, not sure). As soon as I lift my foot off the gas, it goes away. My brother-in-law (ex mechanic) said he thinks its the bearings, but I'm questioning this because wouldn't the bearings continue to make the sound anytime the wheel is spinning (i.e., even if I've taken my foot off the gas?)? I don't think its the tires, as it was doing this when I had OEM tires, and every time I rotate them I can hear it just the same.

Hope I've given enough info. here, if not please let me know what I else I can clarify. Many thanks everyone, you're all awesome!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

I've got the same problem. Mine is an '04 w/ 93K miles. Only does it w/ foot on accelerator, goes away when I take foot off. Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I saw a thread dealing with "exhaust resonance" but not sure thats what it is...THX
Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
While cruising on the highway sway the car left to right. See if the pitch changes. Id go with the front wheel bearings as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:51 PM
north of the border!

its not the bearings.. i hae the same problem.. high pitched howling sound only on load for maintaining speed. i cant figure it out and im a licenced mechanic.. i figure it may be the driveshaft doing it.. but havent changed it yet..