How many miles can I get out of 10%???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
How many miles can I get out of 10%???

Like title says "HOW MUCH MILES CAN I GET OUT OF 10%" before I have to change the oil?? Reason I ask is because this weekend I will be taking a trip to AC from NYC, round trip is alittle over 300miles for me, I know some of you guys are going to say change the oil now, but my cousin has been doing all the service work on my car and is on vacation for 2 weeks from Acura, so he will take it in to service the same week he starts working again. Is it safe to continue with my trip or should I just go rent or borrow another car????
Old 04-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
it wont be the end of the world if you get it changed later.
The following users liked this post:
Bada$$VTEC (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Change it when you get back. Just stay under 55, lol.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCuRa
Like title says "HOW MUCH MILES CAN I GET OUT OF 10%" before I have to change the oil?? Reason I ask is because this weekend I will be taking a trip to AC from NYC, round trip is alittle over 300miles for me, I know some of you guys are going to say change the oil now, but my cousin has been doing all the service work on my car and is on vacation for 2 weeks from Acura, so he will take it in to service the same week he starts working again. Is it safe to continue with my trip or should I just go rent or borrow another car????
You don't need an expert to change the oil in this car, it's exactly the same as changing the oil in any other car. You're willing to spend money renting a car instead of just going to your nearest shop to get an oil change? This makes no sense.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:21 PM
OMG-6SPD

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts
not another oil thread
Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Alexns05
You don't need an expert to change the oil in this car, it's exactly the same as changing the oil in any other car. You're willing to spend money renting a car instead of just going to your nearest shop to get an oil change? This makes no sense.

I correct myself for not getting into more detail, but I rather let my cousin due it then going to the nearest shop/jiffy lube, I always leave with some type of issue after going to a Jiffy lube, either the oil filter not on correctly, they never seem to put in the correct type of oil in the car, always trying to hustle me saying i need wipers or some type of flush, I rather let my cuzn do it, plus my car is due for service besides just the oil change so I rather due everything in 1 shot, also I dont pay full price at rental shop thanks to my job discount.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hofiveo
Change it when you get back. Just stay under 55, lol.
Thanks, once I come back I'm be working for a few days then I'm off on Vac, this is when I will give the car to my cuzn & let him do whatever is needed to the car, so when I come back it'll be ready to go.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
I correct myself for not getting into more detail, but I rather let my cousin due it then going to the nearest shop/jiffy lube, I always leave with some type of issue after going to a Jiffy lube, either the oil filter not on correctly, they never seem to put in the correct type of oil in the car, always trying to hustle me saying i need wipers or some type of flush, I rather let my cuzn do it, plus my car is due for service besides just the oil change so I rather due everything in 1 shot, also I dont pay full price at rental shop thanks to my job discount.

Everyone knows you're not supposed to go to Jiffy Lube. They're the biggest rip off around. There should just be a regular oil change shop around town. Where do you live? Any independent shop should be able to do it no problem. Or if you just buy the parts your cousin can probably do it himself in about 5 minutes if you don't have the tools.

Shouldn't be a big deal driving on it but is it worth the risk? The oil isn't black is it?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
The car has no way to physically monitor the oil. It's programmed to give you a reasonable estimate of when to change the oil, presumably for use with Honda oil.

What I'm getting at is, it's not like if the oil stops working at 0%. Technically it could be way past its practical life well before that depending on the oil used, or you might be able to easily run it twice as long as the MID says.

It's really just a guesstimate. The car won't blow up, 300 miles won't make that big of a difference unless they are track miles or heavy traffic miles. As long as the level isn't really low, It's probably fine.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
i got 1100 out of 10%

100% highway cruising
Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Racer

Everyone knows you're not supposed to go to Jiffy Lube. They're the biggest rip off around. There should just be a regular oil change shop around town. Where do you live? Any independent shop should be able to do it no problem. Or if you just buy the parts your cousin can probably do it himself in about 5 minutes if you don't have the tools.

Shouldn't be a big deal driving on it but is it worth the risk? The oil isn't black is it?
My cuzn told me he would go change it this past Monday at my house but didn't want to bother him since he is on vacation plus it was at 15% when I spoke to him it just hit 10% yesterday. I haven't gone back to a Jiffy Lube in about 4-5 years, last car I took to them was my 95 Legend they did the transmission flush kept pushing me to do it then when I got my bill they wanted me to sign that I agree what they just perform was ok with me and that they will not take responsibilty if the transmission has problems afterwards, I didn't sign it and had a big arguement with the guy who told me to do it along with the manager & owner, since that day never again been to a jiffy lube, always gone to dealers or let my mechanic do it & I just buy everything from the dealer.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK
The car has no way to physically monitor the oil. It's programmed to give you a reasonable estimate of when to change the oil, presumably for use with Honda oil.

What I'm getting at is, it's not like if the oil stops working at 0%. Technically it could be way past its practical life well before that depending on the oil used, or you might be able to easily run it twice as long as the MID says.

It's really just a guesstimate. The car won't blow up, 300 miles won't make that big of a difference unless they are track miles or heavy traffic miles. As long as the level isn't really low, It's probably fine.
Yea I'm check the oil level tomorrow make sure its full and close to clean
Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 4drviper
i got 1100 out of 10%

100% highway cruising
yea its all highway that im planning on driving, the highway is less then a mile away from my house and my final destination from the hotel to the highway is about half mile, maybe less, after we get there the car will just be sitting there till the next day till its time for us to come back to NY
Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
...the highway is less then a mile away from my house and my final destination from the hotel to the highway is about half mile, maybe less, after we get there the car will just be sitting there till the next day till its time for us to come back to NY
If the MID just turned to 10%, you've got at least 500 miles, maybe close to 750 miles, before the MID shows "Service Due." I wouldn't worry about a 400-mile road trip at all.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
Get off your Ass and change that oil....
Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Everyone knows you're not supposed to go to Jiffy Lube. They're the biggest rip off around.
This. Most independent shops, I've found, will do it for less than I can do it myself. Maybe they do this to get your business for bigger issues. I just pay extra and do it myself because I like to.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Italiano
Get off your Ass and change that oil....
lol I wont do it myself, I would mess around with electronics but not engines lol and i know its simple but just dont like personally doing, but my mech looked at my oil today its full and clean, he actually said to me it looks like i dont even use the car because the oil looks so clean
Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 AM
Racer

if possible, this thread can be closed down, i got my answer already, ruff road on the way getting my answer but its all good lolol
Old 04-26-2013, 02:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Oh my,
Another thread only to be closed after 18 posts. SMH.

OP im glad you got an answer but I would try to learn how to change it yourself, I am in the same boat as you, by getting someone else to do it.

I cant do it since I rent a room currently, but if its at my parents place I would try to do it. Save $$ and gas.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Probably quite a few, around 750 miles on average.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
lol I wont do it myself, I would mess around with electronics but not engines lol and i know its simple but just dont like personally doing, but my mech looked at my oil today its full and clean, he actually said to me it looks like i dont even use the car because the oil looks so clean
Take the plug out, put the plug back in.

Unscrew the filter, screw the new one back on.

Fill with oil.

There's nothing simpler.

300 miles of freeway driving is nothing. It's not going to hurt the car, its like 50 miles of city driving, literally. I just don't get why people don't change their own oil even when they're worried about potential negative effects from not changing it.

Keep in mind super clean looking oil with 5,000+ miles on it is not always a good thing. You can run a non detergent oil and it will look nearly perfect when you go to change it because its not cleaning and suspending dirt and crap.