How I Fixed My Subwoofer Rattling the Trunk Area

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How I Fixed My Subwoofer Rattling the Trunk Area

Hey all, I've been reading AZine for a while without a username or such and since I feel like I've been leeching too much info from you guys I've decided to give to the modding community a DIY on how I fixed my trunk / rear deck from subwoofer rattles. I know there have been many threads on DIYs on how to do this, but I haven't found many with pics, so I decided to take some of my own (though they are kinda blurry at times, so sorry in advance). It's kind of a ghetto fix, but it worked for me!

Btw, yesterday the dealership gave me back my car after i brought it in to fix the rattles, but they didn't totally fix (they only fixed the rattling moonroof) it so it still annoyed me and i decided to fix it myself, after reading some threads you guys posted.

First you need to pop these little plastic plugs out of your trunk. It might take some force to pop em out, but they'll come out with some effort. I used some scissors and just pretty much wedged the plug between the open blades(dunno if thats smart) and pressed down on it without trying to cut the plastic.

Now you can tug the upper lining of the trunk down and it should come down pretty easily (its very flimsy).

I stuffed cut up pieces (probably a total of 3 shirts) of shirts, and whatever i didnt wear anymore into the slots here to dampen the vibrating metal.

Then I had some left over attic insulation (probably not fiberglass because it didnt itch when i was handling it) and stuffed them into grocery bags and stuffed those into the slots here where the small child seat belt harness thingy (this thing rattles like crazy when you bump your music, probably where most of the rattling comes from). I'm not sure if this disables your ability to use this 3rd seat belt in the back, but no one ever really sits there and when they do, they dont use that belt, so it didn't matter to me.

Attic insulation!

This is the small seat belt harness in the middle rear seats of the car. It probably caused most of the rattles so I stuffed it with 3 bags of attic insulation (a lot i know, but i wanted them damned rattles to disappear).

I also stuffed the other hole next to the left speaker but i tried not to get too much of the insulation touching the speaker.

Then I put some more insulation below the sheetmetal / above the trunk lining so when i closed up the lining, it'd dampen some more vibration there. (I just stuffed it since it looked hollow lol). Then closed her all up.

I did this mini project while i was listening to hip hop / rap at around Volume 30 and max bass (so i can find the rattles more easily) and just dampened wherever it rattled until it stopped rattling. Hope this helps some of you folks who are annoyed about the rattles and stuff.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the post! Always nice when members give back to the community.

I am moving this to Problems & Fixes where I think it will be most helpful.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Advanced

did you notice a diference in sound other theb rattling? after seeing that pic, is there a way anyone can put an aftermarket sub back there and get it to work with the stock radio?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:09 AM
Cruisin'

the bass hits much cleaner after i insulated the trunk.
you could change out the stock subwoofer for an aftermarket 8" but it'll still be a free air sub and wont sound as clean an enclosed sub in the trunk.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Goin to give that a try tomorrow...I had some sound deadning applied which helped it a bit and improved the bass a lot too, but it's slowly coming back.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:44 AM
Advanced

im wondering if ya put that sub there and use dynamate to close the holes if it would sound better?