How do I get this off the dash? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 06:44 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do I get this off the dash? HELP

Hello All,

So i've had my ride since 2008. When i bought it, these lines didn't appear on the dash till after a year or two. Now its starting to bother me. I have attached the pics. I do not know if someone had something glued before i got it. I appreciate some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails How do I get this off the dash? HELP-dashpic1.jpg   How do I get this off the dash? HELP-dashpic2.jpg  
Old 10-14-2017, 06:53 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,422 Posts
Those are the preformed airbag channels which allow the airbag to bust through the surface during deployment; there is nothing you can do about them. More bad news; sooner or later they will crack. Once they crack, your two options are to cover them with a "CoverLay" or replace the dash.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Those are the preformed airbag channels which allow the airbag to bust through the surface during deployment; there is nothing you can do about them. More bad news; sooner or later they will crack. Once they crack, your two options are to cover them with a "CoverLay" or replace the dash.
Thanks, not the news I was hoping to hear. Is there a reason why this would even show? I haven't seen this appear in TL's I come across. Would it be that the bags at some point were deployed?
Old 10-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Use a protectant/conditioner made for the dash/vinyl and the lines will disappear.
When we purchased ours ('04) back in '07, the outline looked like a decal had been stuck on the dash, but when
doing research found it to be the airbag outline. Have used Turtle Wax protectant for years and the lines have never
reappeared, but it took quite a few applications before they disappeared.
Don't believe that Turtle Wax makes the exact product that I still use, but many on this site use 303, but do a search and you'll
get recommendations.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:48 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by girishv
Thanks, not the news I was hoping to hear. Is there a reason why this would even show? I haven't seen this appear in TL's I come across. Would it be that the bags at some point were deployed?
Hmmm, not sure why you didn't see it on other TLs; while I was shopping for my car earlier this year, literally 100% of the cars I looked at either showed the relief marks or were cracked.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:49 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Use a protectant/conditioner made for the dash/vinyl and the lines will disappear.
When we purchased ours ('04) back in '07, the outline looked like a decal had been stuck on the dash, but when
doing research found it to be the airbag outline. Have used Turtle Wax protectant for years and the lines have never
reappeared, but it took quite a few applications before they disappeared.
Don't believe that Turtle Wax makes the exact product that I still use, but many on this site use 303, but do a search and you'll
get recommendations.
I've used 303 on mine and it didn't change how the outline shows through.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I've used 303 on mine and it didn't change how the outline shows through.
As I said, never used 303 but good to know it didn't help, but got to repeat, our '04, no marks at all.
If I were home, I take a shot of the dash and also look to see what the product is that I use on the dash.
I've got so many products that at times it's difficult to remember the exact one that's used for a specific application.
Must be old age.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
303 will act as a bit of a cleaner and is primarily a UV protectant/blocker.

If you're trying to recondition or "reverse" the effects, you probably want to find a good (re)conditioner. Everyone will have their own opinions, mine is for the Lexol line of products. They make a Vinyl spray that helps to condition and renew. It's a blue bottle, called Vinyex, I believe.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Thanks all. Hmm, never noticed this before on other TL's but then i don't actually look at every single one which i find standing around. None the less, will have to find some good product to cover it up, it just annoys me.

Thanx ALL.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

It doesn't "cover" it up, it shall we say moisturizes the area and makes it blend in/disappear.