Help! Mystery high pitch noise 08 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help! Mystery high pitch noise 08 Acura TL

So, my local shop has misdiagnosed this high-pitch noise (almost sounds like a whistle) as a bad fan bearing. They replaced the driver's side fan, and the sound continues. When troubleshooting, we unplugged the passenger side fan and the noise didn't stop either. So I was surprised when they said it was the fan... easy to troubleshoot by unplugging it. But! That's what they said was the problem, so I approved the work. $380 later... noise continues. I still have to talk to them about paying for work that wasn't necessary. They called 5 minutes before they closed on a Friday. So here I am on the weekend trying to troubleshoot it myself.

Here's the weird part. It only makes the sound when the car is in Drive. Once I shift it to Neutral or Park, the sound disappears. This sound appears after the car warms up, and the AC is on.

Help please! I don't want to keep paying for parts and labor for NOT fixing the problem.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:06 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mystery solved. The noise was coming from a newly installed faulty front engine mount with an air/vacuum leak. The mount has an air bladder and is connected to a vacuum line. New mount covered under warranty.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
awesome coloradoRob!