HEATER-AC, no air flow in vent problem, need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010 | 04:06 PM
Cruisin'

Angry HEATER-AC, no air flow in vent problem, need HELP

04 TL No air flow, diag is good flashing 88 and with failure segment "S"

Hello everyone

I have posted this in the forth gen group by mistake, there seem to be now response to it. I have gone through a lot of posts for similar issues before posting this with no response.

I have this problem below:

fan not running. everything else is functioning. when AC\HEAT is on you can feel the temperature. when first turn on I can hear the rad fan and condenser fan start for a split second and shutoff, after that nothing happens.
here are troubleshooting steps taken:

-checked fuses all ok, checked using Multimeter and visual.

-fan motor by feeding 12V directly to the motor and it works. I can see spinning

-check relays to ensure they are not physically damaged, visually good.

-check voltages to motor to ensure power is there, got 12V

-verified that all relays are functioning properly by swapping with other relays that are the same from other part of the car. after swapping relays problem still remains.'

-measure voltages on the power transistors, 12V power is there, only thing is the left tow pins have 6.2V and 8.4V top to bottom respectively. the ALLDATA diagnostics step mention the these is a 5V trigger to the power transistor to start the fan. transistor is good, got step for checking this from dealer tech.

Now that is have stated every troubleshooting steps taken can anyone please help me with this. I am at the end of figuring this out.

my only thing left is the ECU or the climat control unit. the second is cheaper. or it could be the power transistor.

last but not least, take this to ACURA to get my car fixed. not wanting to do this yet.

steps for checking power transistor to see if it is still good.

NOTE: *require multimeter for this step*

remove the connector from the transistor. On the top two pins, measure the resistance. if the meter reads 1.5 Kilo Ohms give or take a couple of Ohms. the transistor is good. any other result will mean that it is no good.

Many thanks in advanced..

Mike Chang
Old 07-30-2010 | 10:28 PM
Intermediate

Seen this before ur transistor is faulty causing the blower motor not to work!
Old 07-31-2010 | 10:26 AM
Race Director

Yep, if you confirmed your blower motor will work with power directly applied, then it's most likely the power transistor that has gone bad.

The "S" on the diagnostic is "problem in blower motor circuit".
Old 07-31-2010 | 07:38 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

thanks, will order the Power transistor and update as to what happens next.
Old 08-04-2010 | 12:24 AM
acura master tech

be careful here. the ac control unit, controls the transistor. and its 95% the problem. you will put a transistor in 5 mins later its red hot and the ac is not working. i would put a trans in if first cause its cheap just make sure you watch it.
Old 08-13-2010 | 07:43 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

Update,

Well, finally got the parts from delray.

installed the transistor, and it looks like that is part of the problem. now, as you mentioned the transistor did get hot, I am not too sure if the problem is fixed. i got some troubleshooting measurement for the transistor, i will post this later on for others to use as a guide to check their transistor. I am hesitant in using this until there is a really good way of fixing this.

one thing is to get a replacement for the blown transistor electronic component inside the circuit. this should cost much less as it can be found in many electronic store.

thanks all, stay tune for the multimeter reading of a good power transistor pin by pin using multimeter.
Old 08-13-2010 | 10:02 PM
I'm Craig

My sister's TL had similar problems to yours about two weeks ago. Took it to the dealer and it was a $150 fix.
Old 08-14-2010 | 11:00 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks cjTL, what did the deal fixed? did they replaced the power transistor or something else?
Old 08-15-2010 | 02:06 AM
I'm Craig

^^
Dangit I knew you were going to ask what they replaced. Her's had the same deal- turn the car on and you could hear the fan trying to turn on for a split second and then stopped. All the fuses looked alright, etc. I'd go down to her car to look at the service document but she's not home right now. Just know that it's not too terribly expensive ($150), or at least our Acura dealer didn't charge much for it.
Old 08-19-2010 | 10:15 PM
eg5
user title goes here

ive never touched an operating a/c power transistor that was cool to the touch.
Old 12-04-2010 | 09:06 PM
2nd Gear

Our acura just did the same thing. The blower motor wont run. checked all the fuses and relays and still nothing. Is this transistor the box below the white control unit under the dash on the passenger side?