Headliner falling

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headliner falling

I know that there have been previous post, but I wanted to know how long the vehicle is covered for this under the original warranty. The material on my 3rd brake light is also loose, I am wondering if anybody has had the same problems AND have had them fixed? I have a 2004 TL and it has 29,600 miles. Also, how do you take a clear pic of your car and fit it in your avatar?? I would like to thank whoever replies to this for your help.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
You are still under warranty, take it to the dealer and get it fixed.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Advanced

When does the warranty expire? and I know some of these people on this site have had problems after the fix. I bought the car used from a NON-acura dealership. Will the acura dealership give me a hard time?? Sounds stupid, but I want to know before I go in there demanding shit,ya know! Thanks again bro
Old 05-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Your warranty is 4 years from date of first purchase/50,000 miles, so you are covered and it doesn't matter where you bought it. They can repair the headliner and the 3d brake light cover easily.

I repaired the headliner myself two years ago and it is still tight. Check out the 3G Garage.

F-049: DIY: Fallen Headliner
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/f-s-racing-seats-w-adjustable-rails-83756/
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79379

For the avatar:
L-007: How to post your favorite pics & Avatar???
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90613
Old 05-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Its pretty piss poor quality materials they use to hold it up in the first place. I got in touch with my local ecura and set an appointment with them for next week. Thanks again fellas! I was also curious about the front plate holder. If it is installed, will it look bad if I remove it? I usually see people who have it off and see the acura name on the front bottom fender. This looks nice, but some states have the front and back plates law!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Advanced

just a follow up:

I brought my car to the acura dealership and they pretty much fixed everything ( the headliner falling, 3rd brake light fabric sag and subwoofer ). Then, 2 days after the headliner began to fall again. I called them and they said they will put in a brand new headliner, that acura tells them to try and fix first than replace if fix won't hold. Thankfully my car is still under warranty. As far as the sub they put a new one, but I still hear rattling on the rear console when listening to my rap! Damn acuras, you would think they would build them better but oh well. I'm loyal to honda, which lead me to buy the TL. But I notice that Infiniti and Lexus pay more attention to detail with their luxury models. Do you guys know of any complaints from those who own other makes?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Real fix for the sagging fabric on brake light cover?

Originally Posted by Ron A
Your warranty is 4 years from date of first purchase/50,000 miles, so you are covered and it doesn't matter where you bought it. They can repair the headliner and the 3d brake light cover easily.

I repaired the headliner myself two years ago and it is still tight. Check out the 3G Garage.

F-049: DIY: Fallen Headliner
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83756
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79379

For the avatar:
L-007: How to post your favorite pics & Avatar???
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90613
Ron,

Do you know if there's been a permanent fix for the sagging fabric on the brake light cover? I've searched but couldn't find anything recent on the topic except this thread.

I'm currently working on the first replacement and the same problem has come back. I live 70 miles from the dealer and, of course, it takes two trips to get this fixed. One so they can look at it and decide to order a replacement, and then a second trip for them to install it. The last time they didn't have the cover in stock and neither of the other two dealers in the area did either.

It's not really worth going thru the hassle a second time unless I know this problem has been addressed by the supplier.
It's just a stupid thing too, they just aren't spraying any adhesive on the plastic shell to adhere the fabric, so eventually the fabric stretches and sags.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
I haven't heard much about the fabric sagging. The main problem is that the cover doesn't fit tightly against the roof and light leaks out when you step on the brakes, which of course is very different from your problem, but is easily fixed with some foam or in rare cases replacement of the cover.

I just went out and checked mine, and it doesn't even feel like there is any fabric on the cover. It is so smooth and tight and feels more like plastic than fabric, but if you say yours is sagging then it must be fabric. I don't park outside very much so that might help preserve my interior trim, so I hope you get your fixed permanently next time and eliminate this nagging problem.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Pro

I've replace a few brake light cover at work. You should be able to get taken care of at an Acura dealership.

As far as the headliner goes...it should be covered as well. I have doing it but when it comes in it gets fixed.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had both issues of headliner sagging at the moonroof and light leaking from the third brake light. Dealer tried to fix both twice and then finally replaced the headliner and third brake light. It took a while to get these issues fixed as it meant multiple trips to the dealer....

Now the latest in my saga of replacements are the HFL, Navi Voice Command Switches, Cruise Control Switches and Audio Control swicthes on teh steering wheel and the Driver Seat heater switch all of which have failed. Waiting for replacement switches to come in at the moment...
Old 08-08-2006, 07:39 AM
Advanced

I wonder how many issues the competitors have on similar model vehicles? As for Infiniti, I've heard some on the G35, but none on the 325i. Anyone know of any strong complaints on these other models to make us feel like we're not alone?
Old 09-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

I was cleaning my leather seats this afternoon and ran into this:

The headliner on the third brakelight is falling. I've got an 06 TL bought back in February. Stuff like this shouldn't be happening, at least not within months of purchasing the vehicle. I would try fixing it myself but since I've got a warranty I'll take it to the dealer and let them get their hands dirty. Hopefully the work won't take to long. I'll post an update for those of you who might be interested.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:14 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by TLC8888
I was cleaning my leather seats this afternoon and ran into this:

The headliner on the third brakelight is falling. I've got an 06 TL bought back in February. Stuff like this shouldn't be happening, at least not within months of purchasing the vehicle. I would try fixing it myself but since I've got a warranty I'll take it to the dealer and let them get their hands dirty. Hopefully the work won't take to long. I'll post an update for those of you who might be interested.
I can't remember if this happen with my current TL or one of my last cars. But when I was cleaning the back window my head it the same area that you're talking about and did this. All I did was push it back in.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My dads ML55 AMG has this problem, except its on the front pillars as well...
Old 09-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I can't remember if this happen with my current TL or one of my last cars. But when I was cleaning the back window my head it the same area that you're talking about and did this. All I did was push it back in.
I had the same problem with the brake light fabric hanging too, just bring it into an Acura dealership and they will reapply it with adhesive, as well as tighten it so the problem won'y repeat. As far as my headliner update I had them replace the headliner for the second time, and this time it seems to be holding better. I will keep you updated on the condition of the fix.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Intermediate

Just had the headliner on the third brakelight replaced today. The dealer replaced it hassle free. I guess I had a bit of luck on my side because the part was in stock and it didn't take long to fix. It took about an hour, but that's including an oil change and tire rotation. It was a pleasant visit and great service!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Same thing happened to mine a few days ago.
Caused a rattle whenever i went over bumps.

Took it to the dealer, told them exactly what to look at, what was causing the rattle.

Guess what, They told me that the adhesive tape was no longer sticking and that this is not under warranty. They put more adhesive on and charged me 60.00 labour.
I was like wtf?

I asked the service rep why this was not covered under warranty, and he said.
"well..this is jot a mechanical part, and that someone who sat in the back seat could've pulled on it to cause this." I was like wtf? The he said, acura canada won;t warranty it, and that the dealership will be out the 30 mins the tech worked on this.

Paid the damn thing and called acura. Acura customer service said, it is up to the dealerships to judge if this is warranty or not. I was like BS, that's not what the dealer said. Acura called the dealership and called me back with the same response from the service rep. Then suggested I dealer with the Manager of the Service Dept.

I then inspected the car, and it was still loose, i ased to see another TL, and it was tight.
So i told him, make it as tight as possible.

2 hrs later, they told me the part may be defective and that they'll order it under warranty.
I was like wtf? make up your mind.

I asked about getting the 60.00 back, and was told no...that is was for diagnostic.

I will be in to talk to the service manager once the part comes in.

60.00 just to out on tape?

I'll let you guys know what happens in a few days.

For a 50k car in Canada, very poor engineering, and quality.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
call acura coperate again and tell them what happend the second time.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Racer

They owe you $60.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Racer

Headliner Fix

I had my headliner start to droop after putting on about 60,000 kms on my 2004 TL. This is an easy fix, and I looked in this forum, took a good look at the headliner and here's what I did. The headliner near the sunroof is held to the roof with velcro strips that are actually pretty good. Its the cusion pad that is adhered to the metal roof that came apart from the roof, the velcro was still stuck together. This was the centre strip with two other strips on each side. I used some good old ABS contact cenment, swabbed the roof and the cusion pad, held it there for 15 minutes and presto...connected together. I snapped the rest of the roof to the velcro strips on either side and it was on good and tight ....for now. The velcro is very tight, its the foam pad that the velcro is stuck to that seems susceptible to coming unstuck from the metal roof. Just use some good glue and you should be fine.