HeadLight working only intermittently & driving me CRAZY!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:54 AM
05 TL A-Spec

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation HeadLight working only intermittently & driving me CRAZY!

Hey everyone. I have a problem that's starting to drive me crazy. My driver side headlight doesn't always work. About half the time It fires up just fine with no issues and then the other half it doesn't. If it doesn't come on the first time I am able to get it on by flicking the lights on and off until it comes on. Sometimes it only takes 1 or 2 flicks and sometimes it takes 20-30+ but once it's on there's NO flickering or dimming issues. It happens both if the cars off and I'm unlocking it with my key fob (I normally leave headlights on "auto" which turns them on when unlocking) or if I turn them on when there off but the car's already running or being driven. I've already swapped the bulb, ballast & ignitor to the other side and the problem DIDN'T follow it continued to happen on the drivers side. I've even since replaced the ballast & ignitor (w/ used but working & factory ones) as I've got a few laying around. I'm kinda lost as what to try next. Forgive me as this may be a totally stupid and pointless suggestion but would a relay possibly help? Please correct me if wrong but while doing some reading up on this I read a possible cause to my issue could be that both headlights are not getting enough power to fire up when I turn them on so only one turns on and installing a relay would eliminate that by powering them (or just the one?) directly from the battery. But I wasn't clear if that can only be used when adding a aftermarket HID kit to a car WITHOUT HIDs from the factory? Could I install a relay? So sorry for the long post but I would totally appreciate any advice as I'm stumped as to what it could be and it's really starting to drive me crazy. I get the weirdest looks by everyone when getting into my car while out somewhere and I'm sitting there rapidly turning the headlights on & off like 50+ times...lol. o well. But thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Check the headlight relay and replace that. It's in the fuse box
The following users liked this post:
alan_rich (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 11:37 AM
05 TL A-Spec

Originally Posted by thoiboi
the under the hood fuse box? are they labeled in some way just like the fuses?
Old 12-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Following. I have what sounds the beginning to this issue. My passanger headlight just seems to fail to ignite sometimes. It maybe makes a little bit of noise (a faint bzzz you can only hear standing by the headlight). Ussually a flick fixes it but sometimes it maybe takes 2-3. Ive just become accustomed to flicking my headlights 2-3 times before I start driving. I figured it'd be my ballast/igniter but sounds like it could be something else.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:21 AM
05 TL A-Spec

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I see the 15A headlight low beam FUSES under the hood but no relays? I see nothing else regarding the headlights labeled on the fuse box cover piece. The fuse looked fine but I replaced it anyways but no luck. I'm really sorry for being an idiot but could you please elaborate a little more? I've posted a pic of my fuse box cover, could you point out the relay in question here please? Thanks so much.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:36 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
I think that I may have the same issue -- this is my third TL (one 4th gen, two third gens) -- I had it in the shop this morning and they told me that my passenger-side HID was out. I asked for them to give me a quote, and I was astonished at the cost. I got out to my vehicle, started it up, tested fogs, front and high-beams--all worked. I walked back into the shop, asked if here were sure it was out and he was. It does look a tiny bit dimmer than the driver's-side.

I'm not sure if it about to go out or a fuse problem--I bought new on my previous two and never had issues before. I do know that this price is crazy (not a dealer, local shop):

HeadLight working only intermittently & driving me CRAZY!-lwddfgo.png

I've read mixed reviews on replacing them yourself--I'm not really inclined to work on vehicles, but if it's removing a couple of bolts, maybe--taking off the bumper? Ehh....

Any ideas or guidance would greatly appreciated.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts
^ If it's on your 4G I picked up these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $25 for a pair. I replaced the passenger side on my 4G last night. Was pretty easy, just had to remove the passenger wheel, remove 5 or 6 of those plastic push connectors from the fender liner in the front, fold it back and you have access to the back of low beam headlight cover. A little more than just opening the hood to access it, but its not that bad.
The following users liked this post:
hdcolumbus (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Originally Posted by atomlinks
^ If it's on your 4G I picked up these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $25 for a pair. I replaced the passenger side on my 4G last night. Was pretty easy, just had to remove the passenger wheel, remove 5 or 6 of those plastic push connectors from the fender liner in the front, fold it back and you have access to the back of low beam headlight cover. A little more than just opening the hood to access it, but its not that bad.
Thanks! It's on a 3G -- I'm looking through archived posts here -- not finding anything too promising that doesn't involve removing the bumper. Looking at HID's online, I'm seeing similar prices to the ones you posted--I'm not sure what the OEM's are; but, I can't imagine they're over $200.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:04 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by hdcolumbus
Thanks! It's on a 3G -- I'm looking through archived posts here -- not finding anything too promising that doesn't involve removing the bumper. Looking at HID's online, I'm seeing similar prices to the ones you posted--I'm not sure what the OEM's are; but, I can't imagine they're over $200.
I just learned the other day that you can change both HID bulbs without removing the bumper. The drivers side you must remove the battery and the plastic battery tray that surrounds the battery. The passenger side you just have to remove the engine plastic on that side and you should be able to get to it. I did both sides the other day so I know its possible with minimal effort. You can get OSRAM bulbs on Amazon, just make sure you get it from them or a reputable seller. Paid $95 for 2 bulbs and they were genuine.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:47 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
I just learned the other day that you can change both HID bulbs without removing the bumper. The drivers side you must remove the battery and the plastic battery tray that surrounds the battery. The passenger side you just have to remove the engine plastic on that side and you should be able to get to it. I did both sides the other day so I know its possible with minimal effort. You can get OSRAM bulbs on Amazon, just make sure you get it from them or a reputable seller. Paid $95 for 2 bulbs and they were genuine.
Awesome! Did you follow a tutorial online? If so, could provide a link? Thanks so much.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:59 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
As far as I remember, there is one condition - first you have to remove permamently screws securing the plastic cover. Only then you would be able te get your bulb without removing bumper or fender assy.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:55 AM
Intermediate

Your ballast or igniter is going bad. You can find igniters on eBay. Just buy the metal ones and not the cheap plastic ones. Mine melted. Or replace everything.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Posting back in here (now a year later) -- both headlights still working, although a bit dim. I called an Acura dealer today for some quotes (I'm sitting at 166k miles, been working on some maintenance items to keep it going for another 100k) on some steering wheel LED's, HFL (been dead for two years) and seat warmer LED's (close to $1k for all of that work ).

I then asked about the HID's--he told me it could run up to $1k PER light, what? Not sure what to say about that, outside I guess I'll be keeping them until they die...